FYI: Zurich security fasttrack for C and F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Exclamation FYI: Zurich security fasttrack for C and F

Update
See post #15 - discard info below -

Some weeks ago, Zurich airport has introduced a security fast-track system similar to the one in place at several German airports. It is available at all 3 security checks for the A gates, as well as the 2 checks for the E gates. There is one big difference to Germany though that often causes confusion or irritation:

@:-) Unlike in Germany, the priority lines in Zurich are only available to passengers travelling in Business or First Class. Economy Class passengers, regardless of what card (SEN etc.) they are holding, are not allowed to use this facility. @:-)

This might change once the airport operator and the airlines (LX / LH) reach an agreement on who pays for the service.

Last edited by airoli; May 5, 2006 at 11:44 am Reason: Update
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:31 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
i first discovered this fast track line at the end of february. i was allowed to use the fast track lane together with my companion (travelling in y) upon showing my stc gold card.
everytime i used the fast track line since then (fortunately i was booked on C) there were always some passengers travelling "only" in y but being very late for boarding (tight connection - late arrival). they heavily insisted to stay in the fasttrack lane and finally they stayed :-)

CHris
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:37 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Yea, I used it three weeks ago when travelling in C to CPH; departure was at one of the A gates. The fasttrack considerably slows down the process for Y-class passengers as the C-line has no separate screening station but uses the "facilities" of the Y-passengers which always have to wait till the "fast-line" is empty: When glances/looks could kill, I would be dead by now...
Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
Yea, I used it three weeks ago when travelling in C to CPH; departure was at one of the A gates. The fasttrack considerably slows down the process for Y-class passengers as the C-line has no separate screening station but uses the "facilities" of the Y-passengers which always have to wait till the "fast-line" is empty: When glances/looks could kill, I would be dead by now...

ZRH Airport has earned a certain reputation and the last three posts are confirming it...

Introducing priority lines 10 years after the competition is bloody brilliant, using one screening station for all lines is even better and argueing who should pay for it is the icing on the cake...
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by Threy
...using one screening station for all lines is even better...
Well, at the A gates there are normally four screening stations but one station is used for Y-passengers as well as for fast-track-passengers. But I agree with your comments. Frustrating... And especially if the people working at the security stations aren't very fond of the new system and they let the priority-lines-users feel/notice it...
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: LX/M&M, UA, AA, AF/KL, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Threy
Introducing priority lines 10 years after the competition is bloody brilliant, using one screening station for all lines is even better and argueing who should pay for it is the icing on the cake...
even more if you look at the considerable passenger charges...

but overall ZRH is probably still better than some big german airport where I had to go through security twice last time I flew out of there.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:07 pm
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
Seems that everybody is telling something else regarding the fast-track use for Elite Members. Some weeks ago when they just opened the fast track I haven't recognized even that it exists (it was early in the morning). I was waiting in the cue just next to the fast track and the police guy at the fast track was even askin my why I'm in that cue because status members can use the fast track. So I changed over and since then I always used it.
BTW: I never saw somebody controlling boarding cards or status on the fast track and everytime there are several people using the fast track even with normal Y-Tickets. Brassiness wins!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Ahem, as I am somewhat involved with that particular project , I can say that there was some initial confusion as to who is entitled to use the priority lanes, both among pax and staff. Now, at least during peak times, there should be an airport rep. in front of all those priority lanes checking passengers' boarding passes.

The official policy is "Business and First Class pax only". However, when there are not too many C and F pax in line already, the airport rep. has some leeway to admit status holders and/or Y pax on tight connections as well. But this is never a "right", but merely a courtesy that should not be calculated into the time from lounge to gate.

It remains to be seen if this concept will continue as it is right now...
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:27 am

It should be noted that this fast track is for F pax, too. The separate security for F pax to the US has gone. So if you take that limousine from the F lounge, you’ll have to stand in line at the C/F security. And it’s a zoo around noon, there were about 30-40 people ahead of us (March 17th).
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by airoli
Ahem, as I am somewhat involved with that particular project , I can say that there was some initial confusion as to who is entitled to use the priority lanes, both among pax and staff. Now, at least during peak times, there should be an airport rep. in front of all those priority lanes checking passengers' boarding passes.

The official policy is "Business and First Class pax only". However, when there are not too many C and F pax in line already, the airport rep. has some leeway to admit status holders and/or Y pax on tight connections as well. But this is never a "right", but merely a courtesy that should not be calculated into the time from lounge to gate.
Could you please define the "somewhat involved" ?

Maybe you could recommend to buy a cheap ticket to DUS and look how they set up the security lines for the A Terminal, which is used by LH/*, same in MUC...

Perfect ( without showing too much local patriotism ) would not come close.

Waiting times, even on a monday morning, for a * Gold ( 1-2 own security line ) is hardly 2 minutes, waiting time for C/FTL is hardly 5 minutes while Y has to wait a little longer

Modern airports have done studies about stress curves and waiting in a line creates the most stress for a pax. Ironically they are also correlations between the level of comfort and the willingness to spend money at the airport ( I think MUC T2 is a picture perfect example )

Since airports will have to shift their revenue even more from the airline side to the passenger side, I can only hope that ZRH will enter the 21st century and do not fight with airlines who should pay the student/half time employee that gets € 5-8 per hour to control the flow of pax into the X-ray stations...

As pointed out earlier, the pax are paying a ludicrous amount of money just to use an airport...
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:46 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Aehm stupid question:

Are airlines paying anything for these fast track lanes? AFAIK the airport tax is the same for C,F and Y pax, isn't it. So why should fast lanes be reserved to F/C?

An by the way I do agree: Airport taxes in ZRH are high considering you have strange gates like A1-10 where you cannot even sit at the gate...
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:38 am

Programs: LX Sen, SQ PPS
I always wondered why queues for securitiy checks are always this long in Zurich. In fact I find them by far the longest queues of any major airport in Europe.

On the other hand, no other airport uses that many (i.e. 3-5 per machine) and that highly qualified / paid staff (policemen). This should make it faster, shouldn't it?

I mean, apart from that the airport is really nice, especially since its remodeling, but they should quickly improve on this.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:19 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by Yak40
It should be noted that this fast track is for F pax, too. The separate security for F pax to the US has gone. So if you take that limousine from the F lounge, you’ll have to stand in line at the C/F security. And it’s a zoo around noon, there were about 30-40 people ahead of us (March 17th).
When did this happen? I flew ZRH-LAX on Apr 6 and when we were dropped off by the limo we went thgrough our own security like on previous occasions....
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by alect
When did this happen?
On March 17, LX 40 ZRH-LAX. The limousine driver realized that such a line is not accepatble and she promised to make a report. Obviously, the situation was resolved rather quickly.
Old May 5, 2006, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Update
Unsurprisingly, the regulations were changed again as pax were not happy. Until a definite solution is found (and signalled), the priority lane access policy now is
  • First and Business pax
  • *Gold (incl. SEN and HON)
  • Miles & More FTL (not all * Silver)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.