Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mileage award on LH -- ebid to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

UA mileage award on LH -- ebid to upgrade?

I have miles ticket using United miles on Lufthansa. They gave me the option to bid to upgrade. However, at 48 hours I received an email stating that they could not accept my bid to upgrade.

I never saw a fixed price to upgrade. Is it even possible with a rewards ticket? If so, is it too late to ask United to switch it to a native LH flight number and see if there is a fixed upgrade available to premium economy (LH websites still shows 5 seats available to purchase). Or, if it is possible, do I now need to wait until I get to the airport? Thank you.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
If so, is it too late to ask United to switch it to a native LH flight number and see if there is a fixed upgrade available to premium economy
All MileagePlus award tickets use native flight numbers.
Old May 1, 2024, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. So, should I see an offer to pay to upgrade now? At the airport?
Old May 1, 2024, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
United does not offer cash upgrades (or any upgrades, in the strictest sense) on LH metal award tickets.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 1, 2024 at 11:23 pm Reason: cleanup after split
Old May 1, 2024, 10:04 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
You could rebook your flights if the upgraded cabin is available for award flights.. The mail you received was from LH it seems.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa offered to have me bid for an upgrade on my award ticket. I'm told they also offer a fixed upgrade if you have your united ticket changed to a Lufthansa flight number. So, I came here asking how one would make that change. The only award ticket LH would sell is coach.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 1, 2024 at 11:24 pm Reason: cleanup after thread split
Old May 1, 2024, 11:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Pulled these posts out to form a new thread -- and as LH made the offer, will move to the LH forum to have the LH experts weight in on if LH can upgrade an UA award on LH.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 2, 2024, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Lufthansa offered to have me bid for an upgrade on my award ticket. I'm told they also offer a fixed upgrade if you have your united ticket changed to a Lufthansa flight number. So, I came here asking how one would make that change. The only award ticket LH would sell is coach.
call up the reservation on lufthansa.com It should show the fixed price upgrade, if one is available.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

No upgrade is shown on lufthansa.com. Just checked in with no offer. Still hoping for something at the airport.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
No upgrade is shown on lufthansa.com. Just checked in with no offer. Still hoping for something at the airport.
might be too close to check-in now. Definitely ask at the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.