Search

Short Double Connect Via FRA & MUC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
Short Double Connect Via FRA & MUC

Hi,
Flying next week CAI-FRA-MUC-DEN on Egyptair, Lufthansa, and United, respectively, in Premium Economy.
The first layover in FRA is 45 minutes.
The second layover is 55 minutes.
I will have to clear passport control in both FRA and MUC and go through security at least once, in FRA.
This was the only itinerary I could find on the date I wanted, at the price/cabin I wanted (flying Premium Economy).
What should I expect in case of delays?
FWIW, there's a nonstop CAI-MUC on Egyptair that would connect to the UA long-haul to DEN, but this wasn't showing as an option on the LH website when I booked.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
45 minutes at FRA non schengen to schengen, you need a miracle

LH will rebook you & they owe you duty of care, do let us know how it goes & good luck !
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC / Miles & More / QR Privilege Club / Etihad Guest / ITA Volare / TAP Miles&Go / Safar Flyer
Originally Posted by chris63
45 minutes at FRA non schengen to schengen, you need a miracle

LH will rebook you & they owe you duty of care, do let us know how it goes & good luck !
I flew from BHX to LIS (via ZHR) and had 45 minutes to clear immigration and board the plane. The plot twist: there was only ONE (1) mannedtransit desk and 50 people transiting. I managed to board that flight, seconds before the doors closed and got death stares by the front half of the plane.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, it is going to be tight, but not impossible. Let us hope that incoming flight from CAI will be early or FRA-MUC is late.

55min at MUC is no issue.

If you miss the MUC flight ask LH to rebook you to a UA or LH flight from FRA to a US hub (with a connecting flight to DEN).
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:33 am
Original Poster

I am booked in Premium Economy on the long MUC DEN. Will LH rebook me in the same class?
The plot thickens: UA MUC-DEN is oversold in Y+ and won't even let me select a seat even though I am booked on the flight.
Will definitely keep everyone posted!
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
You definitely don't have to worry about which lounge to visit

Good luck!
Unterwegs, chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by directorguy_
I am booked in Premium Economy on the long MUC DEN. Will LH rebook me in the same class?
The plot thickens: UA MUC-DEN is oversold in Y+ and won't even let me select a seat even though I am booked on the flight.
Will definitely keep everyone posted!
Yes, LH will rebook you in the same class. Do check the seating though as it can happen that you get placed in Y by mistake (happened to me a couple of times). They will be happy to put you to the right class though.

MUC-DEN being over might be to your advantage. Ask in Cairo and if it is, give a call to LH while you wait for your flight. Might save yourself some running around and get directly placed on a next day morning flight (or a later departure via another hub)
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Whenb you're at CAI watch the live flight info like a hawk. You should know which flight is coming in that you will board so you can work out if it will be late as many airports don't show a flight as delayed until it has docked at the gate. If there's the slightest sign that you will be delayed call LH and tell them that the reps in CAI were no help and ask to be booked on the direct CAI-MUC flight. I'm sure people will flame me for this but it has worked multiple times when I've had FRA-MUC double connections.

Your second job ahead of flying is to be aware of alternative routes with *A carriers. If you miss either connection go to the LH service desk and tell them which flight you'd like to be on, but be flexible. At this stage ask the rep if they have any info on EC261 rights. This will "encourage" them to get you to your destination within a reasonable time of your original arrival (NB: Don't threaten them! Just ask for the info.)
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you @ Roberino

A few points to consider:
1. The first CAI-FRA is operated by Egyptair. I can probably figure out where the 789 is coming in from (possibly IAD or DXB or JED or even DOH these days).
2. There are no MS ticketing counter, and gate agents will not help/be able to do anything at CAI
3. The LH ticketing office is in CAI Terminal 3. MS Germany flights use Terminal 2.
4. I will try and call Lufthansa's Cairo office tomorrow and see if they can accommodate me somehow.
5. Ideally I would like to get put on any EU-DEN flight, and not have to land in say Chicago or Newark, go through US customs and take another 3-4 hour domestic flight to get to DEN.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Thank you @ Roberino

A few points to consider:
1. The first CAI-FRA is operated by Egyptair. I can probably figure out where the 789 is coming in from (possibly IAD or DXB or JED or even DOH these days).
2. There are no MS ticketing counter, and gate agents will not help/be able to do anything at CAI
3. The LH ticketing office is in CAI Terminal 3. MS Germany flights use Terminal 2.
4. I will try and call Lufthansa's Cairo office tomorrow and see if they can accommodate me somehow.
5. Ideally I would like to get put on any EU-DEN flight, and not have to land in say Chicago or Newark, go through US customs and take another 3-4 hour domestic flight to get to DEN.
All good points! I’d definitely have the LH customer support number saved in your phone then. Regarding US customs, if you are forced to take a two stop route EU-DEN then push for via Canada or Dublin. Both have US immigration options at the point of departure so you can enter DEN domestically.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator
The 45 minutes at FRA is a hit or miss according to how congested security and immigration will be. Munich might be challenging as well, as it will depend on whether FRA-MUC will depart on time, and you also need to factor in the transfer time to the new terminal (and btw you'll need to clear security also in MUC enroute to the USA).
Interested to know how it went.

Last edited by giliw; Nov 23, 2022 at 5:11 am
Old Nov 23, 2022, 7:55 am
hch

Originally Posted by giliw
The 45 minutes at FRA is a hit or miss according to how congested security and immigration will be. Munich might be challenging as well, as it will depend on whether FRA-MUC will depart on time, and you also need to factor in the transfer time to the new terminal (and btw you'll need to clear security also in MUC enroute to the USA).
Interested to know how it went.
As a rule of thumb you usually don't, although some times you can randomly (or whatever?) picked for a secondary
security check.

That being said 45 Minutes in Frankfurt in general always seemed very doable for me, but if you if you're not qualified for the automatic border control it could be very tight.
giliw likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:30 am
Original Poster

I called Lufthansa-they confirmed that any change before departure would trigger rebooking fees. They can only accommodate me in case of a misconnect.
Am I right in thinking that on arrival in MUC, from FRA, I will NOT need to go through security again, just passport control? I am referring to the standard security check, not the document check/secondary search they conduct for US-bound departures.
And no, I am not eligible for automated border control in the EU. I travel on an Egyptian passport.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Am I right in thinking that on arrival in MUC, from FRA, I will NOT need to go through security again, just passport control? I am referring to the standard security check, not the document check/secondary search they conduct for US-bound departures.
Correct. MUC flight will drop you into the sterile area.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
MS flights from CAI are likely to arrive in B, and you will have to clear passport control and security for your flight to MUC from an A gate. You will be extremely lucky to make this connection.

You will arrive on level G, go up one level to H and go through passport control. US departure gates are usually at the end of the concourse after document check desks.
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.