Wiki Posts
Search

Is LH playing married segments games?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Is LH playing married segments games?

Hello,
I am looking to book a return ticket Middle East-FRA-LAX for September (revenue ticket) in biz. While both segments individually show availability ("J9"), the availability disappears when booking the segments as married segments.
I have not observed this happening for last 20 years (sometimes availability was off only by minor seat capacity, as per Expertflyer).
Anyone recently observed the same?
Best,
CalFlyer
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is normal. Happens all the time. Common for the route you mention.

Sometimes there is a way around it using codeshares and combinations thereof, such as LH/UA combos. Have you tried that?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Hello,
I am looking to book a return ticket Middle East-FRA-LAX for September (revenue ticket) in biz. While both segments individually show availability ("J9"), the availability disappears when booking the segments as married segments.
I have not observed this happening for last 20 years (sometimes availability was off only by minor seat capacity, as per Expertflyer).
Anyone recently observed the same?
Best,
CalFlyer
It is common normal everyday practice for at least last 5 years. Actually also earlier, but systems are now much smarter and made go-arounds almost not possible.
I think it is originally related to different pricing for different markets. And more and more smart revenue-maximising-robots.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
while in this example no help with J ... in coach LH has V available but UA codeshares (same flights) offers down to W. Always worth checking these combos.

Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Raul_R
It is common normal everyday practice for at least last 5 years. Actually also earlier, but systems are now much smarter and made go-arounds almost not possible.
I think it is originally related to different pricing for different markets. And more and more smart revenue-maximising-robots.
I agree that the point of married segment inventory control is to maximize revenue by market. But I understood OP to be saying that LH is showing J9 for their individual flight segments, but J0 for the entire itinerary, meaning LH won't even sell a business class ticket. Am I right? If so, that is an odd revenue-minimizing move, I'd say!

I've seen similar examples for F too. F is available on JNB-FRA and FRA-LAX, but not on JNB-LAX. That's basically telling me to go book AF or something.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:15 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by dkc192
I agree that the point of married segment inventory control is to maximize revenue by market. But I understood OP to be saying that LH is showing J9 for their individual flight segments, but J0 for the entire itinerary, meaning LH won't even sell a business class ticket. Am I right? If so, that is an odd revenue-minimizing move, I'd say!

I've seen similar examples for F too. F is available on JNB-FRA and FRA-LAX, but not on JNB-LAX. That's basically telling me to go book AF or something.
maximizing revenue could mean that LH will get more revenue on a pure FRA-LAX flight than JNB-FRA-LAX.
buying power massively higher than in South Africa.

and LH is bound to fully sell each flight individually in F, hence 0 availability for the MS and getting more revenue.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by 59Impala
maximizing revenue could mean that LH will get more revenue on a pure FRA-LAX flight than JNB-FRA-LAX.
buying power massively higher than in South Africa.

and LH is bound to fully sell each flight individually in F, hence 0 availability for the MS and getting more revenue.
Yes, they are doing this more with F, very few F flights on LH now & they make it difficult unless its point to point.
59Impala likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Lufthansa is not playing this game, they are the evil masterminds of pricing integrity.

The easy trick to play them: stop-overs. I just bought an A fare from BUD to Asia for next to no money (by todays pricing standards) and without the stop-over it would be next to impossible to find any availability.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The stopver usually costs 100-150$ each time so bank wins in any case

Married segment control came into noticeable play sometime in 2009. Back then penalties for agents trying to outsmart the system appeared for the first time too.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CLP1, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Dia, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002

Married segment control came into noticeable play sometime in 2009. Back then penalties for agents trying to outsmart the system appeared for the first time too.
Yes. Its possible for clever travel agents to outsmart the system (although its noticeably harder than a few years ago), however they do risk being fined by LH
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
On a F ticket thats peanuts, im not aware of any Bank that would consider that a result.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:56 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Originally Posted by dkc192

I think the airlines borrowed a biblical phrase when it comes to the logic of married segments: my ways are not your ways.

Married segments are a pain and the workarounds are few if any. Some carriers even marry segments beyond just connections. The airlines have their own logic and they wouldnt be doing this if it were costing them revenue.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:27 am
Suspended

I feel for travel agents and how they are held hostage by Lufthansa. That's why I call the Lufthansa First Class Hotline and book all my A fares with them directly. I can throw away last segments, do cross-bookings and Lufthansa hasn't sent themselves any debit memos yet. They also haven't sent me a single letter voicing their displeasure yet. I guess they know who I am

And to be a bit more specific than oliver2002 : D and A fares don't come with silly stop-over fees. My last D fare from Europe to Asia included a total of 4 stop-overs and total price was 1.700 EUR including taxes.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Unlimted stopovers, but penalties (non refundable).

Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:27 am
Suspended

ANC is non-refundable, ARC is refundable for a fee and AFF is fully refundable without any fees.

People don't have to compromise if they are willing to pay a little bit more.
Harper50505 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.