Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing Seats in Lufthansa as Star Alliance Gold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Lurker

Let's just say that I work in a customer facing role and LH's idea of CS and mine are not aligned.
LH ‘customer service ‘ is not aligned, period
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by Lurker
…..but waking me with 2 international calls so as to break through a phone DND???
I think it may not have been FRA calling- more likely to be MNL, CPT or Brno. These people are poorly trained and poorly equipped to do the job, and are terrified of the consequences of making a mistake. They don’t know English properly, they just read stuff from text examples on their screen. That’s why they keep repeating everything a hundred times- they hope this means their (probably outsourced contractor) bosses can’t criticize them for errors.

Mainly LH’s fault for not empowering them, but partly their fault too for not standing up to a system which does not let them make reasonable, rational decisions. I recently experienced this trying to rebook after CANX- they (amazingly) say they are only allowed to offer you what they see on their screen- they cannot (they say) book from a classic availability display. And probably because they have no idea how international travel works, they try to offer absurd connections, not anything that would make sense- even though they should offer pax a sensible solution in the event of a cancellation.

A ridiculous situation. The call was, I guess, for them to have a recording of them correcting their mistake before it gets noticed. A sensible customer service situation would leave the seat allocation in place, maybe (if really necessary) a quick call in daylight hours (or better an email) to say it’s an exception not the rule, so this time enjoy your seat and thank you for your business. But they’re not empowered for that… Just penalized if their mistake gets discovered.
chris63 likes this.

Last edited by FlyerLX; Jan 14, 2024 at 9:05 pm
Old Apr 7, 2024, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am flying full-fare Y issued on UA-016 ticket stock, is there any way to get advance seat assignments for intra-EU segments?
(I am UA star gold)
Old Apr 7, 2024, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Question

Originally Posted by cesco.g
I am flying full-fare Y issued on UA-016 ticket stock, is there any way to get advance seat assignments for intra-EU segments?
(I am UA star gold)
That should work online, no? Often you can pick seats directly on united.com for 016 tickets, but on full unrestricted Y Lufthansa.com should work equally well.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
That should work online, no? Often you can pick seats directly on united.com for 016 tickets, but on full unrestricted Y Lufthansa.com should work equally well.
Seat selection on UA website takes me to LH website, where seat selection is not available for those intra-EU fights.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Seat selection on UA website takes me to LH website, where seat selection is not available for those intra-EU fights.
Native LH flight numbers or UA codeshare? I have had some luck with the Lufthansa app before. In my experience full fare Y is not an issue to get seats. Worse comes to worse you might need to call. Strange that united.com transfers to LH, it can usually handle that.

Does it show a cost or does it show ‘we can’t assign seats’? The latter sometimes happens even with business class, usually on codeshares. I have been successful in calling UA to get seats in these cases.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
Native LH flight numbers or UA codeshare? I have had some luck with the Lufthansa app before. In my experience full fare Y is not an issue to get seats. Worse comes to worse you might need to call. Strange that united.com transfers to LH, it can usually handle that.

Does it show a cost or does it show ‘we can’t assign seats’? The latter sometimes happens even with business class, usually on codeshares. I have been successful in calling UA to get seats in these cases.
LH flight number; Says can not assign seats until check-in. I am not using LH app.
Have not called yet.

Btw, it would be a welcome benefit to allow seat assignment for full-fare Y pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.