Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austria lockdown - affect OS flights to VIE?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by warakorn
That means enter Austria (landside).
Great. Thank you.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:26 pm

That means enter Austria (landside).
Just to confirm, if we have flights that land into VIE with no other flights connecting, would we be able to collect bags and then fly elsewhere in Europe? Or is collecting bags considered landside?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The lockdown is only for unvaccinated people according to news coverage today. However, the protests in Vienna could disrupt your trip.
The lockdown is for all restaurants, shops except essential. Theater and symphony shut down, no Christmas markets. Museums shut down. People to work from home and only go out for essential trips lime food and doctors. If we can’t do anything and can’t see our friends, why go? We changed our flights and are going to Firenze instead.
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I am at VIE now. Everything seems normal, McDonald's and Spar open as normal. Lounges are open, but only giving out food to consume outside the lounge. I'm in the Sky Lounge (sign says open from 5am to 9:30pm), they are offering baguettes to take away. Quite a few people coming from OS lounge carrying a 'goody-bag'. Airside there are some shops that sell food and drinks open, and restaurants are only selling food to go. Not as deserted as I thought, seems pretty busy.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Just to confirm, if we have flights that land into VIE with no other flights connecting, would we be able to collect bags and then fly elsewhere in Europe? Or is collecting bags considered landside?
At VIE the bag collection area is usually after immigration, but before the customs checkpoints. So technically the bag collection area is not considered to be landside. However, one can reach the bag collection area only, if one is admissable to Austria.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:56 am

At VIE the bag collection area is usually after immigration, but before the customs checkpoints. So technically the bag collection area is not considered to be landside. However, one can reach the bag collection area only, if one is admissable to Austria.
But the only way to leave the bag collection area is to go landside, correct? So it's a moot point where the bag collection area itself is located - you can neither check in your bags for the next flight nor go via security without going landside first.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by headingwest
I am at VIE now. Everything seems normal, McDonald's and Spar open as normal. Lounges are open, but only giving out food to consume outside the lounge. I'm in the Sky Lounge (sign says open from 5am to 9:30pm), they are offering baguettes to take away. Quite a few people coming from OS lounge carrying a 'goody-bag'. Airside there are some shops that sell food and drinks open, and restaurants are only selling food to go. Not as deserted as I thought, seems pretty busy.
ah so I can lounge hop and then eat the others food in the other lounge?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
But the only way to leave the bag collection area is to go landside, correct? So it's a moot point where the bag collection area itself is located - you can neither check in your bags for the next flight nor go via security without going landside first.
So this means I am screwed if I can't somehow add a connecting flight to another country from VIE onto my OS itinerary?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by traveler202
So this means I am screwed if I can't somehow add a connecting flight to another country from VIE onto my OS itinerary?
What makes you say that? All the indication from this thread suggests that the recent lockdown order does not impact who is allowed to enter Austria. You just can't stay in a hotel if it's not for business purposes.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:45 pm

I am supposed to be flying to Vienna for the weekend on Friday. OS tickets booked on LH website. I'm on light fares. It is outrageous that there is no fee waiver / refund voucher in place. It certainly means I won't be flying Austrian again. BA, for example, has waived all change fees and will offer vouchers for all flights through end of August 2022. I'll book with them next time.
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Wingnut
I am supposed to be flying to Vienna for the weekend on Friday. OS tickets booked on LH website. I'm on light fares. It is outrageous that there is no fee waiver / refund voucher in place. It certainly means I won't be flying Austrian again. BA, for example, has waived all change fees and will offer vouchers for all flights through end of August 2022. I'll book with them next time.
Yeah it's pretty frustrating that LH group has decided to afford no additional flexibility to Economy Light fares despite the continued uncertainties presented by Covid. And then you have situations like this where the country is effectively locked down for the majority of travelers but the airline doesn't cancel flights, putting Eco Light customers between a rock and a hard place.
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
ah so I can lounge hop and then eat the others food in the other lounge?
No. I was told that I was not allowed to consume ANY food or drinks in the lounge. "It's a waiting lounge only" were the exact words!

One elderly couple were 'told off' for drinking coffee while I was there.
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Why? The Austrian government did not impose new restrictions on entry.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by headingwest
No. I was told that I was not allowed to consume ANY food or drinks in the lounge. "It's a waiting lounge only" were the exact words!

One elderly couple were 'told off' for drinking coffee while I was there.
This is a bit ridiculous I have to admit - their service offering has dwindled. You can go have a smoke in the smoking areas of the lounge apparently... I hope my flight cancels so I have leverage with UA to re-route. A 5-hour layover without food in VIE, so I can eat on the bench outside the lounge makes little sense.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
When trying to book a hotel near VIE, Expedia's booking page writes "This property can only accept bookings for essential travel or stays. You may be asked to provide evidence of this on arrival. For more information, check local advisories before you book.". I suppose one should assume that Expedia is being over-cautious, and therefore, take their advisory with a grain of salt.

My arrival into VIE is December 23, so I think I should be good to go and book this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.