Austria lockdown - affect OS flights to VIE?

Old Nov 20, 2021, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Austria lockdown - affect OS flights to VIE?

Is it expected the current lockdown will affect flights - did it last time? Flying OS soon, just after this 10 day, but before the possible 20 day.

I tried to find the rules, i.e. if Austrians were prohibited from travel etc, but everything is in German.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
We are currently in Kiev and were supposed to fly to Vienna on 25 November. At this point they wont even allow us to enter the country, so we have pivoted and are going to Florence for six days. Currently on an endless hold with Austrian Air to see if they can help (doubtful.). If not we will buy tickets and try to file a claim with the Travel Insurance policy or the insurance from the CSR credit card we paid with. We also have tickets VIE to AMS on Austrian for 1 December. Hopefully the rioting will remain in Rotterdam.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annerk
We are currently in Kiev and were supposed to fly to Vienna on 25 November. At this point they wont even allow us to enter the country, so we have pivoted and are going to Florence for six days. Currently on an endless hold with Austrian Air to see if they can help (doubtful.). If not we will buy tickets and try to file a claim with the Travel Insurance policy or the insurance from the CSR credit card we paid with. We also have tickets VIE to AMS on Austrian for 1 December. Hopefully the rioting will remain in Rotterdam.
Hmm.. I didn't realize they weren't even letting people into Austria. I am an EU citizen, with a DCC, and just transiting.. if that's worth something.

I'm mostly concerned that OS will start dropping flights... not sure that they will keep flying ORD-VIE right now.. Did they drop it last time?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The lockdown is only for unvaccinated people according to news coverage today. However, the protests in Vienna could disrupt your trip.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The lockdown is only for unvaccinated people according to news coverage today. However, the protests in Vienna could disrupt your trip.
The lockdown was initially for unvax, but now it's nationwide - regardless of vax status.. they amended it (and also added that people in AT must be vaccinated by law by January). I am only transiting AT though. My major concern though, is, as I've noted, OS dropping flights. I'm not sure they'd keep flying ORD-VIE if most people can't enter.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
waiting for the LH cancellations to begin
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)

Austria to begin national lockdown: Tourist travel 'will not be possible during this time'

The lockdown will start Monday and initially will last for 10 days, when it will be reevaluated, Schallenberg said. It's scheduled to end on Dec. 13 "at the latest," according to Austria's official travel portal.

Travel to Austria for touristic purposes will not be possible during this time," the announcement read.

Hotels are set to close Monday, which means travelers currently inside the country should make arrangements to leave soon, according to Sigrid Pichler,
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger

Hotels are set to close Monday, which means travelers currently inside the country should make arrangements to leave soon, according to Sigrid Pichler,
Im just transiting but that doesnt look good for ORD-VIE on 12/8 does it bah
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:07 am

I have ewr- VIE on 12/27 flights on OS booked. Will I even be allowed to fly that even if I add another flight to go to another country?

I got the tickets when united had that business class sale. A credit is obviously worthless because flights will never be that cheap again for biz.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 2:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Although I'm not flying OS, I have VIE-LHR-PRG on Tuesday (final 2 flights to get BAEC status). Not sure if I will be able to travel, and definitely not expecting the lounge to be open!
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:01 am

Why is entry not allowed for you anymore? I have urgent business travel to Austria tomorrow, with airbnb instead of hotel now, but see no changes to entry requirements.

Originally Posted by Annerk
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:15 am

I believe it's still unclear how the restrictions will affect the flight schedule. No tourists allowed to enter the country would make the flights empty. Will LH/OS cancel some of the flights or keep flying them anyway is questionable. Hopefully more info today ...
Old Nov 21, 2021, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
No tourists allowed to enter the country would make the flights empty.
This is BS!

Before things are getting out of hands.
If you just connecting in VIE, that should still be possible. I cannot read anything in the new lockdown rules that would prevent this.
BB has stated (e.g.) that they keep running all domestic and international trains during the lockdown.

What won't be possible is to stay in Austria in a hotel for touristic purposes.

I have urgent business travel to Austria tomorrow, with airbnb instead of hotel now, but see no changes to entry requirements.
You should be prepared that your Airbnb host may cancel your reservation - that is within their discretion.
Plus you should make sure that you can prove your business reason for having to stay in Austria.

Last edited by warakorn; Nov 21, 2021 at 5:39 am
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by f4free
Why is entry not allowed for you anymore? I have urgent business travel to Austria tomorrow, with airbnb instead of hotel now, but see no changes to entry requirements.
The lockdown doesnt restrict business travel as of yet is my understanding and hotels will still be open. Im currently in Vienna in a hotel and the front desk told me very little will change for them but you must be vaccinated to check in. There are some minor exceptions to the rule but if you have official business then you shouldnt have any issues. You may want to have an invitation letter or some form of documentation for your purpose of business.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Im just transiting but that doesnt look good for ORD-VIE on 12/8 does it bah
You will be fine if you have proof of transit. There is many Czech, Slovak and Hungarian people using the airport. Transit on the ground is possible too, for example from Czech to Austria you will only show your air ticket and you free to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.