Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansas understanding of Customer Service in F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB G; EY S
Lufthansas understanding of Customer Service in F

Three days ago I flew LH First for the first time ever.
After completing AKL-SIN in SQ Suites, which was already a fantastic experience I was really looking forward to the SIN-FRA LH flight.
But it turned out to be one of the worst flights Ive ever had in premium cabins.
And this post should not be about the seat, or the hard product, which is mediocre compared to other airlines, but that I knew when I booked the flights. Rather its about the FA.

The two First Class flight attendants seemed to show very little interested in the passengers boarding the plane, and especially in me.
I am probably not the everyday First Class pax, as I am just 22 but still, that shouldn't make any difference.
However they seemed to care about me less, maybe because they know that Im on an award tix, maybe because I didn't look particularly old and powerful or whatever reason they had.

I had to ask for everything twice. Including Pyjamas, where I ended up getting two pants, instead of the shirt, slippers and the WiFi voucher.
The WiFi Voucher was finally brought to me after an hour inflight, however the internet wasn't working, so I guess I haven't missed much.

Soon the dinner service was about to start, and as I couldn't find anything and was extremely tired as I already flew for 10 hours, I decided to go straight to bed.
I told the flight attendant Id like the bed to be made and just when I was ready to sleep the purser came and introduced herself. She was extremely nice and friendly, and seemed a little bit sad that I don't want to eat, as it would be very tasty she said. However she offered me that If I wake up and feel hungry, I should just ask the crew and they'll be happy to provide some snacks.

So I finally went to sleep and slept for about 6 hours. Afterwards I indeed woke up hungry, turned the light on, read some books and expected one of the FA to ask If i need anything.
But there was no flight attendant coming, obviously I could've pressed the call button, but I don't really like to do that, and I assume in First Class you can expect flight attendants to be a little attentive when a pax turns its light on after he just slept for some hours.
I got up, went to the lav, and as I came out, planning to go to the galley, one FA was in the small cabin between the stairs and the F cabin. I asked her, whether I can now get some snacks, as I am indeed really hungry. Her answer was very harshly "You got to ask my colleague, im on my break"

Okay, not very friendly, but I went to the Galley and asked the other flight attendant, she was younger than the other and was just speaking with on of the pilots and it seems like I have interrupted their quality time, sorry for that...
I asked her about some food or snacks and she replied very careless. "Oh Sorry, we don't have anything". I was expecting every answer but that and my face might have shown that I didn't expected this answer and the pilot saw this and was laughing saying "Glad we had some food haha".
There was still the plate with the deserts standing around in the galley and the FA saw that I look into this direction and offered me a little piece of cake.
Thanks Lufthansa! A small piece of cake is exactly what I expect!

So, is Lufthansa always like that or was I apparently super unlucky with the Crew?
I have never expected any treatment similar to this, and bear in mind that I was travelling in First Class.
Still even in Business Class I wouldn't expect such dialogues and lack of service, but in First Class this is something that should never happen.
Especially if I compare it to my other premium cabin experiences, like SQ Suites, or TG or EY C. In EY C they even offer hot Sandwiches anytime you like as a smaller snack.

Oh and did I mention, that my seat was literally falling apart, not just in bad condition, but it actually fall apart. The bottom cushion was completely separated at one time of the flight and the flight attendant just reattached it by laying it on the seat again. I don't have to say that the bed was very uncomfortable due to that, as there was a little gap right in the middle of the mattress.

What are your thoughts about this, or your experiences with Lufthansa F?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
OMG, that is really unacceptable. You just confirmed what I thought F might be on Lufthansa. I must say that is it just not worth paying so much money for that kind of experience. You were unlucky to bump on the "don't care" flight attendant, in 90% of cases LH has always had very good CC. Anyway, no matter how much you pay or on what kind of ticket you were flying that kind of behaviour cannot be tolerated. I suggest you make a complaint through Lh.com (contact - complaints - staff...) I would also recommend you to send a copy to: [email protected]. I would ask for 50.000 miles!!!
I assume you flew on A380 First, that should be on latest hard product. Anyway, keep us posted what occurs in the near future.
FYI, SQ business or TG business on 1+2+1 configuration is much metter than LH First. Keep to SQ business next time, and if you have a little extra miles to spend, you can just upgrade to F which is second to none.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
The short answer is, you were extremely unlucky.

And, I would have asked the purser to set aside a specific meal for me and later told the FA who apparently said “we have nothing” that the purser has promised some snacks.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
FYI, SQ business or TG business on 1+2+1 configuration is much metter than LH First. Keep to SQ business next time, and if you have a little extra miles to spend, you can just upgrade to F which is second to none.
I would not agree at all, but tastes are different.
JohnRain likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by worldclubber

I would not agree at all, but tastes are different.
i am with you...
in which world is TG C better than LH F?
synd, seanp7, chris63 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Some of this is you being too demanding and not communicating enough, and some of it is definitely LH’s fault.

You should definitely give feedback. I always do, and sometimes to the purser directly, and I’ll sometimes get points compensation for it (although I never complain with that expectation). I got 40k free miles last time.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
i am with you...
in which world is TG C better than LH F?
Not in ours

I even like LH F better than TG F.
synd, athome and N1003U like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB G; EY S
Originally Posted by sophialite
Some of this is you being too demanding
Just out of curiosity, where Is it me being too demanding. I didn't expected any particular meal, nor did I expect the crew to heat up the meals, or provide a full service in the mid of the night.
I don't really see where wanting a sandwich or whatever savoury snack they got in F is being too demanding?

I boarded the plane, went to bed, had one champagne as PDB, one bottle of water during the whole flight and then breakfast. If that is too demanding for LH First Class CC Id much rather fly J on other carriers.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
I think this is definitely an unlucky case of a bad crew. Sorry it was so disappointing. I would definitely write to customer service, however you may have better luck if you don’t request compensation straight up. Just give a detailed outline of the service.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by vantage03
I think this is definitely an unlucky case of a bad crew. Sorry it was so disappointing. I would definitely write to customer service, however you may have better luck if you don’t request compensation straight up. Just give a detailed outline of the service.
Agreed. Never ask for compensation, but I’ve always gotten it regardless.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
The short answer is, you were extremely unlucky.

And, I would have asked the purser to set aside a specific meal for me and later told the FA who apparently said “we have nothing” that the purser has promised some snacks.
+ 1

Not a description of LH F I recognise.
Purser should have explained its dining on demand & better to get the order in.
OP, should write in & complain.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
The OP appears to have been very unlucky, nonetheless the experience is inexcusable and should be dealt with as many of the posters indicated. That said, I am one of those flyers who rank a crew's service and interaction with me in First to be often more important than the hard product. And, for that reason alone - I always seek out LH/LX First over any any of the ME3 or remaining European carriers offering First. I just completed 4 long-haul F segments with LH (A380) and LX (330 & 777) this past month. All four offered consistently top-notch experiences and the destinations varied as much as LAX and DAR.

Yes, my F experiences on EK/EY have had lots of bling and responsive service - I've often found the overall experience to be robotic, impersonal and flat. To some degree, this is a result of cultural differences. I don't have as much experience in F to Asia, but I was rather unimpressed with OZ out of LAX on the 380. SQ F may be a different story, but I've never been understood the hype about their J experience. To be clear, I'm not requiring an overly chatty FA as once can get here in America, instead just a genuinely warm, engaging and professional interaction.

I suppose we all view F products with different tastes. As it should be. For me, the complete experience is most important to me - and for my travels from California to Africa - I continue to rate LH via MUC or LX via ZRH at the very top.
330 likes this.

Last edited by wfiring12; Jan 5, 2019 at 8:19 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
OMG, that is really unacceptable. You just confirmed what I thought F might be on Lufthansa.
FYI, SQ business or TG business on 1+2+1 configuration is much metter than LH First. Keep to SQ.
Totaly unaccptable as the OP understands & would be advised to complain.

However LH F is one of the best F products out there & in an entirely different league from SQ or TG J, as you haven’t flown LH F yourself how could you know
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:18 am

I agree that a lot of their conduct is unacceptable for F, but stuff like the crew not showing enough interest or enthusiasm, or not reading the OP’s mind, is really weird. How much interest or enthusiasm is enough? It’s also subjective; everyone expects something different.

On my last F flight, I skipped dinner and asked the FA to save my caviar for breakfast, and they listened.

Expecting them to save your food without telling them is weird. Don’t they serve unused F meals to the pilots anyways?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PatongPilot
I didn't expected any particular meal, nor did I expect the crew to heat up the meals, or provide a full service in the mid of the night.
You should have, LH F is dining on demand on that route at whatever hour, Purser ought to have pointed that out to you & suggested you place an order to ensure you received your prefererence from the Menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.