Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN *
A practical question:
I buy a ticket from Lufthansa and according to the schedule I fly different airlines on one ticket:
FRA-SIN on Lufthansa, SIN-AKL on Singapore Airlines, AKL-BKK on Thai Airways, BKK-VIE and VIE-FRA on Austrian Airlines.

Being a status LH member, according to the new rules, I need to know exactly how much each flight leg costs, because LH and OS flights are multiplied by 6 for status members, whereas SQ and TG flights are multiplied by 5. Is it possible to check how much each flight with its relevant taxes makes up the total price of the ticket before I actually buy it? I've never seen Lufthansa breaking the price like that. It's only the grand total. How will we know the accrual of the award miles is correct?

Last edited by andywaw; Dec 13, 2017 at 11:03 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by andywaw
How will we know the accrual of the award miles is correct?
I imagine when booking on LH.com the total number of award miles might be shown. If booking via any other channels (or if LH IT is at it's usual 5* service...) then you'll know when the flights post to your M&M account.

I think for the American programs there used to be a way to track the revenue distribution for flights via some convoluted way but not even sure if this may be applicable to M&M.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The whole trip should give me 10,126 status/award miles including executive bonus which is quite a bargain. Under the new system I will only get 3,292 miles if all flights are on LH Group airlines - the reason why I'm curious to know what will happen if the same ticket was bought after 12.3.18.
This is a perfect example of what LH is trying to achieve. They want that such very cheap tickets earn less award miles.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
It is really pathetic: an A class ticket from MXP or AMS to HNL via FRA and LAX costing Euro 4200 used to earn around 65k award miles, with the changes taking effect after three months that ticket will earn 24k award miles only
I think it is exactly for that reason that this change was made. Getting 65k miles after spending EUR4200 is unsustainable. It was great while it lasted but we can't seriously expect that this will continue.
gru_muc likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium
It will be interesting to see how they deal with missing last segments. MXP-FRA-JFK-FRA-MXP at € 3000. If you miss FRA-MXP ist the € 3000 still used or do they apply a lower value, and if yes how much?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ToddSpam
Please let me know if my analysis is correct on how this WOULD have effected my award miles if this ticket were booked after the transition date:

Frequent Traveler status
P ticket
Ticket cost (without taxes and fees) = $4581
Miles = 8062

Old System gives me 8062 award miles
New System gives me (4581)*6 = 27486

That is difficult for me to believe that I would get 3x more award miles with this change, but if I correctly understand the rules, that would be the case. Does it look correct to you?
Which flight is this? I can't think of a P Business ticket that costs 4.5k before taxes and awards 8000 miles. If that's what you really paid for LH P ticket, it sounds like you were taken for a ride (no pun intended).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Zorro
It will be interesting to see how they deal with missing last segments. MXP-FRA-JFK-FRA-MXP at € 3000. If you miss FRA-MXP ist the € 3000 still used or do they apply a lower value, and if yes how much?
Individual segments will be credited one by one, after they have been flown.
LH will allocate a value to each segment. (It will be a guessing game, just like SQ PPS value determination)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by mevr
Which flight is this? I can't think of a P Business ticket that costs 4.5k before taxes and awards 8000 miles. If that's what you really paid for LH P ticket, it sounds like you were taken for a ride (no pun intended).
NYC to MUC round trip.

Usually that amount of money is a Z fare, but for some reason everything in January is highly priced. I took the P because it was 4k less than the Z
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
I think we have a thread in the making as of March 12th to moan/rant/cheer those sub 125 mile segments and remember the good old days of fixed 125 mile segments
totti likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ToddSpam
NYC to MUC round trip.

Usually that amount of money is a Z fare, but for some reason everything in January is highly priced. I took the P because it was 4k less than the Z
Then your math is wrong since Z awards 12k miles without bonus and 14k with bonus. If your P costs 4.5k then that was incredibly overpriced since A/F has been around 6k.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by mevr
Then your math is wrong since Z awards 12k miles without bonus and 14k with bonus. If your P costs 4.5k then that was incredibly overpriced since A/F has been around 6k.
What part of my math are you claiming is wrong
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
After the eggendorfer court case LH/M&M said it would announce changes with a 3 month lead time... this probably explains the weird March start date.
indeed, greatful thanks to Prof. Dr. Eggendorfer. ^

However LH/M&M only informed me & my SEN partner today, 15 th December so how is it 3 Months to 12th March ?

Why are M&M so desperate ? Why not make this change effective from 01January to 31st March 18 ?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm not clear on what you would get if you book a LH flight on 220 stock, then credit to another airline (UA). I haven't seen any info on the UA side of this - they still show the old % based system still with no note about changes coming in March. I would think that they would change the UA earnings on 220 tickets. UA already makes the miles on 016 tickets revenue based.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
I'm not clear on what you would get if you book a LH flight on 220 stock, then credit to another airline (UA). I haven't seen any info on the UA side of this - they still show the old % based system still with no note about changes coming in March. I would think that they would change the UA earnings on 220 tickets. UA already makes the miles on 016 tickets revenue based.
This change is for M&M only. If you credit to MP you earn per MP rules. Whether UA will change those rules is besides the point.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:58 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by malmostoso
This change is for M&M only. If you credit to MP you earn per MP rules. Whether UA will change those rules is besides the point.
I disagree. That's exactly the point if you want to know how much you will earn on UA in the future. I'm very interested as well.

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.