Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Lufthansa the most overrated airline out there?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by thbe
My last 2,5 flight on LH was FRA-PMO-FRA and the RT cost about EUR 350,- in business. Included were an additional seat next to me, lounge access at FRA and at PMO, 2 x hand baggage, 2 x 32kg check-in luggage, quite a good meal on both flights and free drinks. I'm not talking about the additional services and benefits cause of my status.

Same month I was flying FRA-FCO-FRA (2h) on LH and that RT cost about EUR 375,- in business.
I compared simply 3 flights on 3 websites ( LH / SQ /CX ) checked yesterday for a flight next week monday until wednesdays for 2 days stay. That means same conditions.
LH was FRA-MAD
CX was BKK-HKG
SQ was BKK-SIN

If you booked business for 375 Euro, you sure booked long time in advance, and the fare is in P and not flexible @ all. This kind of offers other airlines also offer. But you can not compare apples with pears.
My post was most about the value you get out of a business class flight in Europe with LH and in Asia with CX or SQ.
And if you compare under the same conditions, LH is more expensive, and the seatproduct is the same as in eco.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:46 am

You can get a LH ticket FRA-MAD-FRA in business on Oct 9-11 for EUR 499,50 as well.

It's never a good idea to book a flight a few days in adavnce anyway. If I book FRA-FCO-FRA on LH business in 2 weeks, I can get it for EUR 369,-.

I'm flying LH business within Europe quite often. And I'm the approver for flights for some dozens of guys who are used to fly often too. It's possible to fly LH business within Europe for EUR 1,000 to 1,200, but that's well above average.

Believe me, your data is just wrong.

And if you compare an European airline with a huge short-haul fleet to Asian airlines with much smaller short-haul fleets, you are comparing apples with pears anyway.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by motty
I also feel LH is one of the most overrated airline out there. Here are a few issues I think LH fails on:
1. Transatlantic business travel - one of the only airlines not providing a truly flat seat.
2. Unreasonable security tests at FRA and MUC - having gone through many international airlines, these were the least effective most abusive test. I traveled through TLV, JFK, LHR and many other European airport. The German were the worst on repeated visits.
3. Meals on board are average.
4. Inter European routes still served with coach seats in business. Yes many other do that too - but LH seems worse, as some airlines use wide-bodies on some European routes.

The off board product is good, but in my opinion the whole package is still well below par.
The security at FRA and MUC is not responsibility of LH, is provided (subcontracted) by the federal police of Germany.

As for airlines using wide-bodies in Europe, you can literally count them with the fingers of your hand:
* 1 rotation MAD-LHR daily operated by IB A340/A330
* 1 rotation LHR-MAD operated by BA 777 (not always)
* Some rotations IST-Turkey TK A330/B777
* Some rotations MAD - Canary Islands operated by UX A330/B787
* 1 rotation HEL-LHR daily by AY A350
* Charter flights from UK to Spain / Portugal in high-demand routes.
And very few more
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by motty
Sorry you believe that's contradictory information, however, here is a little clarification of the perceived contradictions. I used to fly UA on their coffin configurations which although "lie-flat" in theory, were one of the most uncomfortable business seats ever. I swore those seats off and in my opinion Lufthansa seats are very similar. If compared to the old UA (ex CO) seats and certainly the new Polaris seats, all staggered configs (like LX) and other carriers - these seats are the worst. In my opinion these can't be considered as "lie-flat", since that standard has evolved. In some configs LH has a 2-3-2 setup, not fun to be in the middles seat.

As far as security, when making connection (like most of us need to do) - this can be a deciding factor for connecting hub. With so many incidents and delays that I had with other colleagues, connecting through FRA and MUC is a nightmare, hence - it certainly influences the overall carrier experience for LH. I also connected and originated in many US and European airports and also out of TLV (originated). FRA and MUC were certainly the worse. LH does have control over their security and could weigh in and dedicate more resources to improve this experience.
Uhhhhh, LH does not have any 2-3-2 set up in business numbnuts.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
As for airlines using wide-bodies in Europe, you can literally count them with the fingers of your hand:
* 1 rotation MAD-LHR daily operated by IB A340/A330
* 1 rotation LHR-MAD operated by BA 777 (not always)
* Some rotations IST-Turkey TK A330/B777
* Some rotations MAD - Canary Islands operated by UX A330/B787
* 1 rotation HEL-LHR daily by AY A350
* Charter flights from UK to Spain / Portugal in high-demand routes.
And very few more
It's not that bad actually, OS uses 767 and 777 commonly to FRA and I've seen BA widebodies in more places around Europe.

But yes, it's much more so that frequency is the king, and that means 4 daily A320s rather than 1 A320 and 1 777 or something.

Also noteworthy: Europe has a much better surface transport situation comapred with SE Asia.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by thbe
You can get a LH ticket FRA-MAD-FRA in business on Oct 9-11 for EUR 499,50 as well.

It's never a good idea to book a flight a few days in adavnce anyway. If I book FRA-FCO-FRA on LH business in 2 weeks, I can get it for EUR 369,-.

I'm flying LH business within Europe quite often. And I'm the approver for flights for some dozens of guys who are used to fly often too. It's possible to fly LH business within Europe for EUR 1,000 to 1,200, but that's well above average.

Believe me, your data is just wrong.

And if you compare an European airline with a huge short-haul fleet to Asian airlines with much smaller short-haul fleets, you are comparing apples with pears anyway.
I not want to fight about which prices we compare.
Asian Airlines ( CX,SQ or TG ) also have special rates for booking far in advance. I only wanted to compare 3 offers under same conditions, which has been
booking in a few days, only 2 days and not over a weekend. That's what company's normaly doing.
And my post was pointing that in " my eys " LH and other European airlines offering much less value for $$$, if you compare this with Asian airlines. And LUFTHANSA complains the sales with premium customers in the last years is going down much, specially within European routes. This in my eys is a result from them cutting down everything. As already pointed out, why someone should pay a lot more for so less value. Not only airlines have to cut costs, other company's too. And private people, ( which still have to work for them $$$ ) , even more think for what them spend it.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew
Uhhhhh, LH does not have any 2-3-2 set up in business numbnuts.
In the B744 second main deck cabin they have 2-3-2 indeed. So no need to go personal against the poster you quoted. Still, that’s only a handful of seats compared to the total of 2-2-2 or 2-2 UD C seats.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:39 am

Well, I'm pretty sure you can at least have Do&Co food in OS, LX, and TK business; which is pretty awesome when you're looking for any differentiators within EU.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
and the OP said they've been flying inter-Europe flights on LH. I don't think any airline has an inter Europe service that's worth writing home about.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ohiosux
Well, I'm pretty sure you can at least have Do&Co food in OS, LX, and TK business; which is pretty awesome when you're looking for any differentiators within EU.
Not on LX AFAIK.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: FB Gold
For those of us who don't have the pay grade to book flights for work on business (me.....), I did two TATL flights over two weeks, both in Y. Work paid for the LH flight the previous week, the AF flight I booked for my own personal travel. As suspected, AF on the A380 was more comfortable, better service, better food.......but this is just my experiences.

I found it funny that while waiting for my AF flight, the LH 401 flight was delayed by 2h in the next gate. The same flight I took 6 months ago, which was also delayed when I flew it
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:44 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mlin32
I found it funny that while waiting for my AF flight, the LH 401 flight was delayed by 2h in the next gate. The same flight I took 6 months ago, which was also delayed when I flew it
A delay of 2h is unusual but LH401 regularly departs late since transatlantic flights from west to east often arrive too early because of the jet stream. On most days LH401 arrives earlier than the scheduled arrival time of 5:40AM although it may have left JFK 30-40 minutes late. Because of the nighttime curfew at FRA planes cannot land before 5AM.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I can add my two cents in comparing LH economy to WOW Air economy.

Referencing the OP's main points, WOW Air provides an excellent example of Lufthansa's overrated economy experience.

A recent booking from BWI to FRA.

Lufthansa's lowest eco fare was 3x (yes, triple!) the "eco plus" fare of WOW air. And no, there were no extra fees for luggage: this WOW tariff (WOW Plus) included 3 bags (one checked bag, one carry-on--of 26 pounds!), and one personal item) and seat reservation.

So, despite having SEN status, we booked WOW Air to see what they'll all about.

First, beautiful new and very clean A321. And roomy in the seat, offering 31"+ seat pitch. On their A321, it's the exact same seat frame used by LH.

Without paying more (and obviously independent of freq flyer status), we received their super-extra-legroom seats (similar to LH's A340-600 row 25A/C/H/K)

Full power outlets (110v/220v) at every eco seat.

The meal offerings' looks and aromas were every bit as good as LH's aluminum-foil wrapped 'delicacies'. (We instead took our own salads and turkey wraps, so I didn't get to actually try their food.)

There's nothing free on board, not even water. But at a savings of over 1000 Euros one-way, this SEN can either buy on-board or fill my own 1.5 liter bottle or take along some from the gift shop.

Loaner iPads available for $25 rent if desired.

Landed at FRA and parked at an actual gate with a jetway! None of the LH nonsense of remote stand parking and then a standing bus ride of what seems like an hour to get to the terminal building.

The only perceived negative was the short stopover at Reykjavik (I'd like it to either be much longer!).

Sorry, Lufthansa. WOW Air really did 'wow' this SEN in economy for its comfort and simplicity.

Yes, LH can do IRROPS. Yes, WOW has a lack of routes. Yes, LH has lounges. But lounges, on-board service, and low economy mileage just aren't worth an extra 1000 Euros per flight. Of course, if someone's flying using someone else's money, most of those somebodies will spend 1000 Euros more on things that are really only worth, say, 150 Euros. And still end up at a remote stand after spending more.

OP: I understand your point of view!

Last edited by Grog; Oct 11, 2017 at 1:08 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I'm still not convinced that the LCC model will work on long haul in the long run, but I would like to try both Norwegian and Wow Air at some point. The former, in particular, has some very interesting destinations, such as Stewart-Newburgh some way to the north of New York. But, that is another topic, another discussion. Long time since I've been in LH long haul Economy, at least 4 years. I expect it has declined a lot in quality.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Grog
Of course, if someone's flying using someone else's money, most of those somebodies will spend 1000 Euros more on things that are really only worth, say, 150 Euros. And still end up at a remote stand after spending more.
Spending my own money I can't recall a TATL ticket with LH that cost me over ~700 EUR (depending on exchange rates). And those were of the upper bound of the price range, higher then typical booking classes to get upgrades or more miles.
I'd pretty pissed if I had to routinely pay 1000 EUR per direction for LH Y though.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Lack
Spending my own money I can't recall a TATL ticket with LH that cost me over ~700 EUR (depending on exchange rates). And those were of the upper bound of the price range, higher then typical booking classes to get upgrades or more miles.
I'd pretty pissed if I had to routinely pay 1000 EUR per direction for LH Y though.
Using lufthansa.com and tomorrow's flights as examples, the pricing is slightly higher than I experienced when I bought my WOW Air ticket. All flights tomorrow from BWI to FRA one-way cost USD 2,946.60. (~5.7 times higher than my WOW Air one-way.)

Using a roundtrip for an example (flying tomorrow, returning in 30 days), LH's roundtrip would be USD 2,869.75, compared to a WOW Air roundtrip price of USD 840, so that still means at least 3.4x more than the WOW Air (and a purposeless, non-refundable return ticket).

Last edited by Grog; Oct 11, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.