Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Lufthansa the most overrated airline out there?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
Is Lufthansa the most overrated airline out there?

Hi,

Lately I've flown several times with Lufthansa for inter-Europe.
I've noticed that overall this airline has what's called "Halo Efect", some how they considered as premium airline.
However I think they actually have very modest product:
1. Average seat space
2. Average meals
3. Fashioned delays
4. FFP that compared to average US legacy is actually no so good
So my point here - Do you think that Lufthansa is actually the most overrated airline out there?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Lufthansa's first class product is considered best-of-breed in certain regards. I don't think anyone believes that about their Y or even J products.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Lufthansa's first class product is considered best-of-breed in certain regards. I don't think anyone believes that about their Y or even J products.
and the OP said they've been flying inter-Europe flights on LH. I don't think any airline has an inter Europe service that's worth writing home about.
irishguy28 and ToddSpam like this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
and the OP said they've been flying inter-Europe flights on LH. I don't think any airline has an inter Europe service that's worth writing home about.
Like this is the point!
Everyone (at least in the states) complaining about the 3 legacy, but actually if we take typical inter-State vs. inter-Europe flights, so here is my personal experience:
With UA Silver it's actually possible to be upgraded to First, premier access, boarding & baggage etc.
With the equivalent (lowest Elite) with any other "premium" European, you actually get something like priority standby and that's it.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by mikethe1
Like this is the point!
Everyone (at least in the states) complaining about the 3 legacy, but actually if we take typical inter-State vs. inter-Europe flights, so here is my personal experience:
With UA Silver it's actually possible to be upgraded to First, premier access, boarding & baggage etc.
With the equivalent (lowest Elite) with any other "premium" European, you actually get something like priority standby and that's it.
LH elites get lounge access based on status on domestic/intra-EU flights. UA does not grant that to its own elites on domestic US flights even though they're often longer than LH's intra-EU flights.
the810 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
LH elites get lounge access based on status on domestic/intra-EU flights. UA does not grant that to its own elites on domestic US flights even though they're often longer than LH's intra-EU flights.
LH Elites from second status level get lounge which equals to SA Gold which equals UA Gold.
SA Gold give you access to some lounges so in all UA from second status also gives you lounge.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the Lufthansa Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
As another user posted, LH*S get lounge access in LH group lounges (all major German airports + VIE, ZRH, GVA, WAW, CDG, BRU, LHR, ATH, DEL, DXB, BOS, ORD, EWR and a few others).

Then there's business class check-in, extra baggage allowance, security fast track at a number of (mostly German) airports (equivalent of premier access), etc.

In any case, I think the intra-European and intra-US markets are quite different (e.g., the major routes in Europe are of shorter distance). I don't find the comparison all that insightful.
the810 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

LH Elites from second status level get lounge which equals to SA Gold which equals UA Gold.
SA Gold give you access to some lounges so in all UA from second status also gives you lounge.
You can't compare it that way
Intra-Europe: LH Gold or LH Silver gives you Lounge access (in addition *G gives you lounge access)
Intra-US: Non of the three US carriers give you lounge access with their own frequent flyer program with any status (excluding top top tiers) unless you buy additional lounge membership (*G with a different program works - but thats a different story. Not relevant for comparison)!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: FB Gold
I've flown trans-atlantic and within the EU with LH on multiple occasions. Yes, they're overrated, basically the UA of Europe.

You get what you pay for. Their Trans-Atlantic flights can be quite cheap but the reliability, service, and confort are lacking. Nearly every segment I've flown with them has been delayed, on strike, or snagged for logistical reasons. Even the Germans who come to visit our location in the US on business trips avoid taking LH.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
1. Average seat space
2. Average meals
3. Fashioned delays
So my point here - Do you think that Lufthansa is actually the most overrated airline out there?
Compared to other airlines in Europe LH is still in the top 3. Everyone now has the slimline seats, no one really serves anything to eat and drink, delays are moderate (compared to the US where each year weather comes at a complete surprise to all airlines), and FFPs have collectively devalued since 2004. LCCs don't even offer any of the above.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Hi,

I've noticed that overall this airline has what's called "Halo Efect", some how they considered as premium airline.
1. Average seat space
2. Average meals
3. Fashioned delays
I am not that big fan of LH either (typically try to get requalification with other members of LH group), BUT:

1. In Y and short-haul C, I do not think there is any difference to any other European airline (which should be primary comparison)
2. LH still offers free F&B in short-haul Y, which BA plus other European airlines have abandoned. In C, it is not too bad, sometimes a bit too fancy, but I cannot complain.
3. Really? Specific routes? I have not noticed or read about this. Being based in London, I'll take that comment with a stride.
4. Depends in which COS you are flying - it used to be worse than US programs in Y, but better in C and F class. With the new minimum revenue requirements for US programs, I am not sure the comparison is as straight forward anymore. I have barely had any problems with redemption (for a family of four), though I agree that the earn-burn ratio is not as good and neither is the flexibility as for example with BA.

So, if you approach LH with the expectation of receiving in-the-air SQ service, then yes, it is certainly over-rated. By I would still say it is solid for European standards in Y and C and top in F. Now, when we talk about BA, on the other hand,.......
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by mlin32
Nearly every segment I've flown with them has been delayed, on strike, or snagged for logistical reasons. Even the Germans who come to visit our location in the US on business trips avoid taking LH.
Can only mean that your are either very unlucky or do not fly with them often or both.

Out of my 80+ LH group flights so far this year, I had one cancellation with decent reaccommodation, two or three delays (often weather and/or congestion related, e.g. Friday afternoon out of LHR...) and many punctual and uneventful flights; no strikes and little out of the ordinary. My few UA flights this year were a completely different story...
JohnRain likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
Hi,

1. Average seat space
For LH A320 neo "average space" is a joke. 28" is probably the worst pitch on the market.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Hi,

1. Average seat space
2. Average meals
3. Fashioned delays
I have taken over 50 LH flights in past 10 years, many within Europe but also across the Pond, and find:
1. Average seat space can be tight, but as UA Gold I often get assigned exit row with extra legroom by agent or lounge attendant.
2. Average meals more than adequate for length of flight, ranging from small sandwich on short flight to hot meal on 3-4 hours (such as Munich to Tbilisi). Meals are not often important because LH lounges have nice food offerings and I often eat before the flight to maximize sleep
3. Delays can happen on any carrier, but with LH Imhave had VERY few in 50+ flights and when they do occur, such as a recent 30 minute delay from Munich to Tbilisi, the entire crew do all they can to minimize it and apologize profusely, making me feel they really care. In contrast 2 hour or greater delays on US carriers now barely register with the crew and as a passenger I have the impression they have become routine.
4. FFP - I can only judge how LH recognizes United elites and it is great from my experience. As a UA 1K I get to check in at LH First Class counter, have access to Senator lounges that have actual beds in FRA and MUC as well as good food and drink, have gotten operational upgrades on LH about a half dozen times, and have been treated very well overall considering I am not a member of LH Miles and More.

Another key benefit I get from LH is consistency and reliability which I will take any day over excitement when flying to destinations where safety and security are legitimate concerns.
JohnRain likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.