Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Lufthansa the most overrated airline out there?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by thbe
Lufthansa's irreg handling is the best in the world by far. For those of us who fly to be somewhere in time, Lufthansa is a safe choice. LH's F belongs to the best of the word as well. C is good, if you fly together with someone else, but offers no privacy for single passengers.

I don't know, what you mean. Miles&more is a very good FFP. Even if I leave out my miles from flying, I earn i.e . a return flight FRA-HND-FRA in F for 2 persons every year, just from credit card, shopping, hotels, car rentals. And HON or SEN belongs to the most attractive and most valuable airline status in the world too.
While your post is not inaccurate on its face, it must be clarified by saying Lufthansa's cash fees for award flights make for rather expensive redemptions.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Recently I flew UA new Polaris Business class on the 777W to HKG and back. I really felt sorry that LH spend so much money on their new J seats and they came up with that very uncompetitive seat. As of today if I have to choose between LH J and UA new Polaris seat, UA will be my always choice.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:15 pm
formerl motty

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, VS Gold, Hertz Pres. Circ, Avis Pres Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I also feel LH is one of the most overrated airline out there. Here are a few issues I think LH fails on:
1. Transatlantic business travel - one of the only airlines not providing a truly flat seat.
2. Unreasonable security tests at FRA and MUC - having gone through many international airlines, these were the least effective most abusive test. I traveled through TLV, JFK, LHR and many other European airport. The German were the worst on repeated visits.
3. Meals on board are average.
4. Inter European routes still served with coach seats in business. Yes many other do that too - but LH seems worse, as some airlines use wide-bodies on some European routes.

The off board product is good, but in my opinion the whole package is still well below par.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by motty
I also feel LH is one of the most overrated airline out there. Here are a few issues I think LH fails on:
1. Transatlantic business travel - one of the only airlines not providing a truly flat seat.
The LH C seat is completely flat
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by curt
The LH C seat is completely flat
Motty probably hasn't flown LH in a decade, but still an axe to grind.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
4. Inter European routes still served with coach seats in business. Yes many other do that too - but LH seems worse, as some airlines use wide-bodies on some European routes.
I am not trying to defend in LH, in fact every airlines has its weak spots, but my rough guess is that less than 5% of intraeuropean flights are on widebodies. So you're stuck with narrowbodies most of the time. Unlike in the US 3+ hr routes on CRJs (and equivalent) are not the norm either. So I guess we're not doing as bad as the post might suggest.

PS: and regarding security. Security over here is still a lot more pleasant than in the US, unless you have access to TSAPre. Plus, much of the security circus has been implemented, because some countries insist on it
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:15 am

The off board product is good, but in my opinion the whole package is still well below par.
Your points remind me of the quote ’Compassion is received as a gift, envy has to be deserved.‘.

No flat seats in C, security checks a criteria for an airline, average meals, wide-bodies on short flights? Really! You may have forgotten: Still have smoking flights, wet runway from rain, don‘t like yellow logos and only 1 meal on a 50 minutes flight.

I think, LH gives enough reasons for reasonable critics.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Well, did my ORD-FRA flight in Y. Kind of wish I'd just taken the AA flight from CLT.

At least it was punctual this time.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I flew LH FRA-MIA in J last week, and it was my first LH intercontinental flight in quite a while (usually with LX or OS). The seat was definitely lie flat, but it was the most uncomfortable business seat that I’ve been in (A380). Three days prior I flew LX BKK-ZRH (77W), and the difference is striking. The LH seat is cramped, with very little privacy. A week before BKK-ZRH, I flew ZRH-BKK in F, and the LX business product is basically like a slightly downgraded first, whereas LH’s business is more like a slightly upgraded economy.

Alas, LX’s WiFi is 39CHF for 120MB, and LH’s is 17EUR for duration of the flight. If not for Austrian, I’d probably choose LH for day flights simply because of that.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:29 am

LX is definetely the best airline in the world to use m&m evouchers.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:31 am

Last edited by petercek; Sep 28, 2017 at 4:44 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Having read this thread I need to comment some of the statements.
Those of you who argue about punctionality of LH, irrops handling, etc... beeing bad are not flying LH very often... this is quite obvious since LH is the best airline in the world when it comes to that matters....
The NEK seat in the short haul European C is something we can argue about but most of the European carriers do the same practice but those who have "real" business class seats operate flights mostly over 3 hoiurs to their HUBS (turkish, aeroflot...) so there is no real comparison to me.
I have flown LH for exactly 125 flights this year and all of them except 2 where on time where by on time I do not calculate a delay of 25 mins....
Further more, for those who actually fly M&M is a very good loyality programm and the status is very much valued, on the ground as well as in the air... we can argue about the taxes for awrd flights, but on the other hand for SEN and HON the availiability is excellent even on very short notice and this is a big plus compared to the others....
The food in Y I would not comment (as the TO did) since the food is a perk you get and it doesnt have to be on the level of a 5* restaurant... Nobody books a flight to eat, especially not in Y... and for a short 1 hour hop to get a sandwich and a drink is quite generous comparing LH to SAS or others that were mentioned here...
LH Group is for me, taking into consideration the whole package, indeed the best Airline in Europe and for those of you who are bashing LH, you will see it when you get irregs with TK, SAS and similar airlines how great LH actually is.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:17 am
formerl motty

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, VS Gold, Hertz Pres. Circ, Avis Pres Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by worldclubber
I have flown LH too many times (over 8) - all in the recent year. Being a 2 Million Miler on UA takes a lot of air time, some on bad star alliance airlines like LH. A doubt you even come close to the millage I cover.
Worldclubber obviously is not a descriptive name, seems the only clubbing you do is on the keyboard. In the future - I'd suggest you keep personal stuff off the board and stick to the subject.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:02 am

I have flown LH too many times (over 8) - all in the recent year. Being a 2 Million Miler on UA takes a lot of air time, some on bad star alliance airlines like LH. A doubt you even come close to the millage I cover.
Worldclubber obviously is not a descriptive name, seems the only clubbing you do is on the keyboard. In the future - I'd suggest you keep personal stuff off the board and stick to the subject.
Well, there were some obvious contradictions in your post.

You've said, that LH is the only airline, which is not providing trully flat seats. That is false.

You blame LH for the security checks at German airports. It's already funny, if an US citizen complain about security checks at airports of other countries, but to blame an airline for that is just wrong. Just ask for the difference between UA and TSA. It's the same difference between LH and Bundespolizei.

At LH food is average. I agree with that. But how can something rated average make something well below par?

Yes, inter European routes are served with coached seats in business. As all airlines do in Europe. There are a very very few exeptions with wide-body jets, including LH. I fly often businnes within Europe and believe me, LH is above average at that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.