Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaenks
That agent forgot to re-issue the ticket with new schedule, outbound dissapeared and I had to call back again yesterday late evening. Now I chose Senator line US toll free number through Skype. Agent answered in 2 minutes and 13 seconds.
I also had the same problem with a flight from IAD through FRA to CPT. Schedule change impacted original ticket. LH updated the reservation, but apparently didn't reissue the ticket. 3 days out, the two "fixed" flights in the reservation disappeared. I only noticed because it was checking my flights each day.

I called to get the reservation reinstated and the ticket reissued. So, all is well now. But I feel sorry for the typical flyer who would be stuck dealing with this at the airport check in.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by chris63
LH are very good a through checking bags on separate tickets IME & as you say they have an interline arrangement with Condor.

Your problem is if something goes wrong with your FCO- FRA flight, if you misconnect your in big trouble….

LH awards are cancellable up to departure for a 50 EUR fee, you need to understand AS rules in case you don’t make your Condor flight.

Seems a very risky booking to me, especially give the current state of operations at FRA
Thanks! You make many good points. Right now I'm contemplating either booking an earlier flight from FCO to give me more buffer on a delay, or just going to Frankfurt the night before and staying at one of the airport hotels. This isn't until February though, so I have a little bit of time, and another option may be that I can eventually find award space that puts me on a single ticket. But given how rare it is now to find business class award space between the US west coast and Europe (and low fee/in the westward direction!), I figured I'd take it and work the problem out at some point.

AS requires you to cancel prior to departure to get your miles back - there's currently no fee for this, as the US carriers have dropped most fees related to ticket changes (awards or revenue flights). That part is less of a problem than rearranging flights home for a family of 3 on short notice! Turns out we don't really like getting middle seats in the last row of coach on walkup fares.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Thanks! You make many good points. Right now I'm contemplating either booking an earlier flight from FCO to give me more buffer on a delay, or just going to Frankfurt the night before and staying at one of the airport hotels. This isn't until February though, so I have a little bit of time, and another option may be that I can eventually find award space that puts me on a single ticket. But given how rare it is now to find business class award space between the US west coast and Europe (and low fee/in the westward direction!), I figured I'd take it and work the problem out at some point.

AS requires you to cancel prior to departure to get your miles back - there's currently no fee for this, as the US carriers have dropped most fees related to ticket changes (awards or revenue flights). That part is less of a problem than rearranging flights home for a family of 3 on short notice! Turns out we don't really like getting middle seats in the last row of coach on walkup fares.
Your welcome

My advise, go for an overnight at FRA in an airport hotel, in February anything can happen weather related & make sure you have travel insurance

Indeed the last row of whY would be my worst nightmare, even with my Family for company
PWMTrav likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAhome
I called to get the reservation reinstated and the ticket reissued. So, all is well now. But I feel sorry for the typical flyer who would be stuck dealing with this at the airport check in.
Yes & this even happened to me as HON, with a reissue in under 24 hours, they need urgent work on re ticketing
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:16 pm

Lufthansa upgrades

Hi, Does anyone know if Lufthansa airlines issues a charge to upgrade from economy class ticket to business class? In addition what is the best way to do this if I do purchase an economy class ticket?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:29 pm

Your welcome

My advise, go for an overnight at FRA in an airport hotel, in February anything can happen weather related & make sure you have travel insurance

Indeed the last row of whY would be my worst nightmare, even with my Family for company
I'm going to take that advice. Thankfully the credit card I booked with has some reasonable trip delay protections. I've never been to Frankfurt other than to connect at FRA, so we can just come early the day before and make a small visit out of it and remove the pressure of the separate tickets.

On a separate note, while I am going to try and rebook on a single ticket if an award becomes available, I am kind of excited for the Condor flight because right now it's scheduled to be their new product on the 359. I'd trade it for a ride on an LH 744/8 upper deck, though! My time's running out to fly on a 747, so I'm hoping LH keeps some of those on US routes and I can grab an award closer in.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:02 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Dominick8529
Hi, Does anyone know if Lufthansa airlines issues a charge to upgrade from economy class ticket to business class? In addition what is the best way to do this if I do purchase an economy class ticket?
lots of info here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...de-pe-c-f.html
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I'm going to take that advice. Thankfully the credit card I booked with has some reasonable trip delay protections. I've never been to Frankfurt other than to connect at FRA, so we can just come early the day before and make a small visit out of it and remove the pressure of the separate tickets.

On a separate note, while I am going to try and rebook on a single ticket if an award becomes available, I am kind of excited for the Condor flight because right now it's scheduled to be their new product on the 359. I'd trade it for a ride on an LH 744/8 upper deck, though! My time's running out to fly on a 747, so I'm hoping LH keeps some of those on US routes and I can grab an award closer in.
I’m sure your taking the sensible option, it’s easy to visit Frankfurt for the day & use the airport hotels for your flight the next day
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Has anyone had luck getting LH to waive the seat reservation fees due to traveling with children?

We're flying IAD-FRA and MUC-IAD in Premium Economy in two weeks. 2 adults, 2 children under 13. The Premium Economy cabins are quite small so there are few adjacent seats left when I look at the seat map. If I try to reserve one of the few seats remaining, they want to charge $50/seat = $200/flight.

I called in to request two sets of 2 seats each anywhere in our booked cabin, but the agent said they'd have to charge me, even in the case of traveling with small children.

The US DOT issued a notice encouraging airlines not to charge for seat reservations in cases where it's to ensure a parent sits next to their child, but this does not appear to be a formal policy yet, and it appears to apply to "U.S. airlines" so I'm not sure if it would apply to LH even if it's a flight to/from the US.

It's also surprising that in "premium" economy they charge for seat reservations, but that's a topic for another day.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfidler
Has anyone had luck getting LH to waive the seat reservation fees due to traveling with children?

We're flying IAD-FRA and MUC-IAD in Premium Economy in two weeks. 2 adults, 2 children under 13. The Premium Economy cabins are quite small so there are few adjacent seats left when I look at the seat map. If I try to reserve one of the few seats remaining, they want to charge $50/seat = $200/flight.

I called in to request two sets of 2 seats each anywhere in our booked cabin, but the agent said they'd have to charge me, even in the case of traveling with small children.

The US DOT issued a notice encouraging airlines not to charge for seat reservations in cases where it's to ensure a parent sits next to their child, but this does not appear to be a formal policy yet, and it appears to apply to "U.S. airlines" so I'm not sure if it would apply to LH even if it's a flight to/from the US.

It's also surprising that in "premium" economy they charge for seat reservations, but that's a topic for another day.
LH don’t waive charges like that period, just sort it out at the gate area desk they have to let you sit together or onboard.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:37 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I am sure this is answered somewhere in this thread so apologies in advance. I have an Air Canada Aeroplan (014 ticket) business class reward YUL-BRU-BER-ZRH-YUL and have the LH group PNR for this booking, I can see my booking on LX and SN websites.

The BRU-BER is in economy class and the purpose of my post.

I was able to select seats on all segments except for BRU-BER, the SN website tells me to call in for seat selection. All I want is to avoid the middle seat so is it possible indeed to call in and select my seats for this economy class flight? I do not mind paying either to avoid middle.

When I look at Seatguru for SN A319, there is no business class but I have seen other seat maps (Expert Flyer) where there seems to be business class on this flight (SN 2581 on 27/08/23). Can someone confirm there is a business class section on this plane, if so I will try to get my economy class segment changed via Aeroplan which will solve my middle seat phobia!

Thank you
Just an update, even though the website says I have to call in to purchase a seat assignment in Y for my booking, I was able to purchase en exit row seat via the SN Brussels app no problem, don't know why they do not list that on the website and instead tell people to call in.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I've only flown on Lufthansa a handful of times over the years but shall do so once again this August roundtrip between London Heathrow and Salzburg via Frankfurt.

I'll be in business class both ways with a 1:45 layover heading eastbound and a 2:25 layover heading westbound.

So my question is this: What LH business class lounge at FRA would you recommend I use?

Many thanks in advance....
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
I've only flown on Lufthansa a handful of times over the years but shall do so once again this August roundtrip between London Heathrow and Salzburg via Frankfurt.

I'll be in business class both ways with a 1:45 layover heading eastbound and a 2:25 layover heading westbound.

So my question is this: What LH business class lounge at FRA would you recommend I use?

Many thanks in advance....
The one nearest your departure gate…..since brexit UK passport holders need to join the Non EU immigration lines & given the situation at FRA they can be long, also inbound from LHR you might need to go through unnecessary transit security, you could be lucky to even get lounge time on your outbound FRA is one of the worst airports in Europe, good luck ☘️
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
The one nearest your departure gate…..since brexit UK passport holders need to join the Non EU immigration lines & given the situation at FRA they can be long, also inbound from LHR you might need to go through unnecessary transit security, you could be lucky to even get lounge time on your outbound FRA is one of the worst airports in Europe, good luck ☘️
If it makes any difference, I'm actually a US citizen with a US passport.

And on my eastbound journey, I shall arrive into FRA on a Saturday evening for my connection on to SZG.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
If it makes any difference, I'm actually a US citizen with a US passport.

And on my eastbound journey, I shall arrive into FRA on a Saturday evening for my connection on to SZG.
No, UK & USA passports get the same treatment at FRA

FRA is a mess currently & that’s before the strikes start from Wednesday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.