Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mywaterbroke
I understand that lounge access is not granted to Business Class travelers on domestic flights within the US with some exceptions but find it surprising that the same would apply for passengers arriving from intercontinental flights and connecting onto domestic. They were told at the lounge that they would be let in if they were arriving on a UA intercontinental flight but not on LH. Is this at all accurate? And should they expect to be denied access to the UA lounge in LAS on their return flight as well (connecting in SFO onto LH to FRA in Business)?
All of the information your parents were given is accurate. The base rules for *A lounge access are based on the local departing flight, and generally you do not receive lounge access on US domestic flights, even when flying in a premium cabin. So, no access at LAX prior to LAX-LAS, and no access at LAS prior to LAS-LAX. They will of course have access at LAX prior to departure on LAX-FRA, but it's moot since the TBIT *A lounge is worlds better and also more convenient.

United makes an exception for international premium cabin pax on its own metal, allowing them lounge access at all points along their "same-day" itinerary, including the destination. Similarly, if your parents were LH*G they would have access to United Clubs in the US regardless of class of service.

There are some reports of LH lounges in the US (e.g. at IAD) allowing both (a) United domestic premium pax, and (b) own metal arriving Business/First pax into their lounges to make up for this hole in lounges.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by findark
All of the information your parents were given is accurate. The base rules for *A lounge access are based on the local departing flight, and generally you do not receive lounge access on US domestic flights, even when flying in a premium cabin. So, no access at LAX prior to LAX-LAS, and no access at LAS prior to LAS-LAX. They will of course have access at LAX prior to departure on LAX-FRA, but it's moot since the TBIT *A lounge is worlds better and also more convenient.

United makes an exception for international premium cabin pax on its own metal, allowing them lounge access at all points along their "same-day" itinerary, including the destination. Similarly, if your parents were LH*G they would have access to United Clubs in the US regardless of class of service.

There are some reports of LH lounges in the US (e.g. at IAD) allowing both (a) United domestic premium pax, and (b) own metal arriving Business/First pax into their lounges to make up for this hole in lounges.
I have 100% been able to access to UA lounge when departing from initial airport in Y (e145 or UA J not available on an award) to partner J, AC/LX/LH/etc. So on the outbound they should be ok. On the inbound its YMMV, and I have had success despite flying in on a non-UA to UA connection, always citing the international sector in business (or first).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by moops380
I have 100% been able to access to UA lounge when departing from initial airport in Y (e145 or UA J not available on an award) to partner J, AC/LX/LH/etc. So on the outbound they should be ok. On the inbound its YMMV, and I have had success despite flying in on a non-UA to UA connection, always citing the international sector in business (or first).
Interesting. This is clearly not permitted according to the published rules, although since it works if your overwater segment is UA it might be easier to talk an agent into it. The rule is that if your overwater segment is non-UA, there is no lounge access, regardless of the class of service of the domestic connection (unless also *G).

Access Policy (bolding mine):

A boarding pass for travel in business class on a Star Alliance member airline

Customers may only access a United Club location at the departure airport for their business class flight.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a friend arriving in FRA in business class on a overseas flight, after a 4 hrs layover she then connects to a intra-EU coach flight, all flights are on LH. From what I understand she does not have access to the LH business class lounge. However, she could visit the "Welcome" arrivals lounge past baggage claim in terminal B. Correct?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:31 am

Correct.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:48 pm

Interesting. This is clearly not permitted according to the published rules, although since it works if your overwater segment is UA it might be easier to talk an agent into it. The rule is that if your overwater segment is non-UA, there is no lounge access, regardless of the class of service of the domestic connection (unless also *G).

Access Policy (bolding mine):
YMMV. On the outbound it may be due to the lounge in CLE always being quite empty, never seen it with less than 30 empty seats in the past ~3 years. Either way if someone is worried about it just pick up some passes on ebay for $15 if it means that much to you. I think the last time I did this on the inbound was LIS-EWR-CLE on TAP/UA and after showing my entire itinerary they allowed it, again it wasn't busy so maybe the rules are less enforced due to capacity. "international business class ticket" and "lounge access" should always go hand in hand, surprised on paper it says otherwise. Could be that a compliment and a smile can go further than you'd think.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could be that a compliment and a smile can go further than you'd think.
It's very possible - there are a lot of issues with scanning BPs and the agents are in the habit of making their own decisions about entry, for both better and worse. The real (sad) answer is to just be *G as it means none of this is a concern.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:44 pm

It's very possible - there are a lot of issues with scanning BPs and the agents are in the habit of making their own decisions about entry, for both better and worse. The real (sad) answer is to just be *G as it means none of this is a concern.
Not sure about Germany (Op's country of origin for this itin), but I have heard the UK Amex plat gives status with shangra-la hotels, which can give status to singapore (*G), this does require taking 3 segments on singapore, but its a nice little perk if you can swing it.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Hello was Sen with lufthansa , then moved everything to BA (2013), became silver & eventually blue.
Was recently given complimentary silver status with lh.
I have 2 questions :

- As a silver which lounges can I use? (already have priority pass)
- Are there any real benefits ? priority check in / boarding etc.

With air berlin closing down & AZ seems shaky I might consider flying lh group only if there are any benefits,
Was a Sen before hence lh silver doesn't seem appealing, even when I compare BA silver to lh silver.

Any advice /info ?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: LH M+M
LH-Group Business Lounges and Check-In (when flying on M+M partners, obviously). Gory fineprints:
https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...l=en&cid=18002
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN, Accor Plat
Thank you all for the great and very useful replies. Still doesn’t make sense to me why United would do this. I understand if they deny their own domestic passengers access but also to those arriving from intercontinental destinations in Business Class with a Star partner? Lounge access is meant to be a part of the int’l Business Class package for the whole journey. Out of curiosity: if a UA J Class passenger is flying with UA from the US to FRA and let’s say connecting onto a LH J Class codeshare flight to STR, would they also be denied access to LH lounges in FRA? Is there a reciprocal agreement or does LH just look the other way?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH will follow *A rules and admit anyone travelling on *A business that day. UA has implemented an exception.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:01 am

What about flying ua J to fra, then connecting onward
In LH Y, this is something i would do if award spce in J were full, arriving BP is enough for the lounge, right? I assume this to be true as I have accessed FCT with arriving F connecting to a lower class.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:34 am

What about flying ua J to fra, then connecting onward
In LH Y, this is something i would do if award spce in J were full, arriving BP is enough for the lounge, right? I assume this to be true as I have accessed FCT with arriving F connecting to a lower class.
Arriving F is different. Arriving J and departing Y means no lounge access. If arriving in FRA on LH J, then there's access to the welcome lounge, but that entails entering Germany, which might not be possible/desirable for all passengers.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA 1K
Hello! I need really basic help. I have United GPUs that can be used on Lufthansa. Ideally, I'd like to have an immediate upgrade at time of purchase to minimize the stress of the waiting game. I'm willing to pay a little more for that comfort. I know, from the United forums, that I can buy a ticket via United, call to have it switched to a LH code, and then request the upgrade via a page on the United site. But what fare class do I need to buy to be pretty sure the upgrade will clear immediately? Are there even any fare classes with LH that clear immediately? I have expert mode on with United -- am I looking at the right fare classes on the codeshare flights to see what might be available, or do I need to use another site to see LH's fare classes?

OK, maybe this isn't a basic question but maybe the answer can be put into the pinned post on the UA GPU thread if appropriate.

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.