Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by htb
+1. And the same applies to debates about actions taken by hotel chains as well.

HTB.
It's also always humorous to see the sense of entitlement internet users develop.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:46 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Rambuster
It's also always humorous to see the sense of entitlement internet users develop.
Sometimes yes, but mostly it just makes me shake my head seeing how little good will could have been a win-win for both sides instead of a lose-lose "just because one can".

HTB.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Stuff like this happens every day with pretty much any major airline, not just LOT.

If passengers are deemed unfit to fly, then there is usually a reason for the crew's decision to do so. Procedures do call for the removal of a passenger to be documented by the Crew, so there will very likely be some paperwork that has the reason documented.

With regards to this particular case, with the LX flight being on a different operating airline and the flight being already overbooked, odds are extremely high that LX would not have accepted an involuntary reroute onto their metal even if LOT had gone out of their way to accomodate the passenger (which, to the best of my knowledge, they had no obligation to).

However, that being said, it is customary with most airlines to offer the respective passenger an involuntary reroute at no charge on the next available flight on the same operating carrier. So as a gesture of goodwill, LOT should have offered him a seat on their next flight to ZRH the next day.

I sincerely hope that the OP has learned a lesson from this to possibly reduce the alcohol intake on his future trips.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by rcs85551
Stuff like this happens every day with pretty much any major airline, not just LOT.
Are you talking about removing an unfit passenger from a plane or the airline cheating its way out the transportation agreement?

The former should happen, the latter is an EU oddity based on the lack of powerful punitive damage legislation here. Two or three very large fines would even have a large carrier honour tickets.
..Procedures do call for the removal of a passenger to be documented by the Crew, so there will very likely be some paperwork that has the reason documented.
Crews justifying their actions .. how is that evidence?
I sincerely hope that the OP has learned a lesson from this to possibly reduce the alcohol intake on his future trips.
It seems some posters know more than the text here presents.

Calling the OP a liar immediately and repeatedly a liar is an achievement even for the plane spotter forum. Try this with someone who provides "insider information" or praise and the reaction will be fairly different.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by rcs85551

I hold no particular brief for the OP, but if you base your comments on the tale he presents - rather than the traduced version it has grown into - you might suggest he walk rather than run to the departure gate.

Not only is it a more dignified form of locomotion, it could help avoid the barf moment on arrival at the aircraft (never a good introduction to cabin crew).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by weero
Worth reporting? We had a totally tanked seat neighbour on a KLM flight he became verbally abusive and so we reported him. The FAs brought him a drink to calm him down (sic!). After they told him that we complained about him, he became very aggressive and finally assaulted one of my companions but tossing the drink he received for calming down in his face.
The crew responded to our demands to have him either removed or restrained by talking to him nicely and getting him another drink less than 15 mins later...
I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Didn't end up well for the drunkard, but I'm not sure if his long term memory even registered the event - sadly w/o bankrupting a guy for emergency landing costs and such, the fines for just unruly behavior are even lower then airlines IDB compensation AFAIK.

True ... but then I throw up if I drink more than a minimum amount of alcohol ... to add insult to incapability: every time I have been cut off by UA crews I have had exactly zero drink before and on the flight ...
My experience with UA is quite the opposite. I was once even offered a bottle of bubbly to take home after I used my yearly drink-chit allowance for fellow pax.

But with the modern slips either 2cm wide or you having to sign with a broom-sized pen on an angled touch screen, I would not recognise any of these as intelligently designed.
Probably thats why Europe is moving to PIN-based authentication (opening
another can of worms in the process, weakening consumer protection).

I agree that is indeed a good idea. I am also very keen on documentation and it has saved my rear on various occasions.
Yep, and it's would have been a no-risk for OP. Test came up negative - OP was sober and can strengthen his case. Come up positive - just ditch it.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I hold no particular brief for the OP, but if you base your comments on the tale he presents - rather than the traduced version it has grown into - you might suggest he walk rather than run to the departure gate.
And if the plane catches some rough air and shakes up OP stomach content during the flight like a short jog does, would you suggest the pilot took a different route?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Again: if you are not deemed fit to fly by the crew or authorities (medical condition, security issues, no fly list etc), your journey ends right there and the airline has fulfilled their part of the contract. They are not required to accommodate you on any flight or rebook you.

As far as what happened at the ticket counter(s), well...
http://9lols.com/show-image/?img=/wp...-look-like.jpg
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
It seems some posters know more than the text here presents.
Finally we are getting closer!

(after all, 90% of the iceberg is under water too!)
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:40 am
Original Poster

I'll suggest this to the crew of an overbooked flight that Oliver2002 is on, to offload him (for whatever reason they seem fit..) to save any IDB/EU261 compensation. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to buy a new ticket for the next flight..
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I'll suggest this to the crew of an overbooked flight that Oliver2002 is on, to offload him (for whatever reason they seem fit..) to save any IDB/EU261 compensation. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to buy a new ticket for the next flight..
Indeed is the whole "deemed fit to fly" concept deeply sloppy. The idea of an airline keen to apply it to cut on the EU261 goes probably too far, but still.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Indeed is the whole "deemed fit to fly" concept deeply sloppy. The idea of an airline keen to apply it to cut on the EU261 goes probably too far, but still.
Quite a bit too far. I find nothing in the OP's story that would indicate that LO needed an excuse to kick him out of the flight. So they didn't really save anything by deeming him unfit to fly.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
So you got offloaded because the flight was oversold?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
So you got offloaded because the flight was oversold?
Trying to escape the edge you got yourself in, eh?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Finally we are getting closer!

(after all, 90% of the iceberg is under water too!)
The OP is called a liar with a certain confidence that I find difficult to comprehend.

While it is certainly possible that he really was an unruly drunk causing a scene, I also have had enough experiences with customer service in Poland/with Poles that makes me believe there is a chance the OP has a legitimate point with regard to their conduct.

If indeed some posters are privy to information that puts the OP's story into a dubious light then surely the fair thing to do would be to put that information on the table rather than to engage in innuendo and if they have come across that information via channels of dubious legitimacy (such as airline or airport staff who are obliged to maintain confidentiality) then surely it would be best not to say anything at all.

Last edited by Ber2dca; Jul 28, 2014 at 2:35 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by wazow
Quite a bit too far. I find nothing in the OP's story that would indicate that LO needed an excuse to kick him out of the flight. So they didn't really save anything by deeming him unfit to fly.
And they risked actually loosing some revenue if he went to the competition, since they refunded him at least part of the ticket.

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
The OP is called a liar with a certain confidence that I find difficult to comprehend.
Is FT having another database crisis? All the information needed is in OPs posts. He drank, he barfed, he walked to an agent and failed presenting his case for rebooking. Thats cause and effect, not a series of unrelated events.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.