Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

I'll refrain to talk or answer to Lack any further, as his behaviour here quite clearly shows he's just trying to stir trouble by making up quotes, mixing up answers in a way not productive, and generally just trying to destroy any meaningful operation.

Criticism is always a good thing and should be encouraged, playing as a troll certainly isn't.

As said before, I'll take things to the legal authorities now, thanks to all those that actually put content in this thread and gave me support, both by warning me on which steps not to take, and by advise how to answer LOT.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Criticism is always a good thing and should be encouraged, playing as a troll certainly isn't.
I should have known better then to hope you'd admit to your own mistake. At least I wasn't called a lady from the transfered desk like someone else who was brave enough to have a different opinion then the OP.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
..I'm not sure where in the tale other readers shifted "unfit to fly" into "drunk". I understand the former term is often a euphemism for enebriated, but the OP reported vomiting - an activity not always linked to drunkeness, but one generally unwelcomed in an aircraft. My understanding is that he was ejected from the flight because crew believed him to be unwell...
An excellent point and indeed not easy to address.

Regarding your reading of the crew's assessment - do you think that the OP should have disputed to be unwell? Does an offloaded passenger have to voice dissent?

I thought that once a crew member uses their authoritative power in safety matters, you have to comply but it also exposes the airline to the ensuing liabilities.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Lack
..Oliver already they're well within their right according to the COC.
But that doesn't really surprise you, does it? Not only is Oliver the 2nd person after the author to have read the CoC.

The CoC may impact what agents are empowered to offer or decline but clauses that clash with the spirit of a transportation agreement have little relevance for a court dispute.
Just missing the cultural difference maybe? Do you get a field sobriety test with every purchase in ZRH/SIN?
No one ever does. I was witness to several boarding episodes where pax urged GAs and FAs to offload some pax who were so intoxicated and aggressive that they physically harassed and (in the American sense of the word) assaulted other passengers. None of the staff member could ever be bothered.
Do you get cut off after first drink at the bar?
I don't drink on the surface of the planet. But I got cut off several times by UA FAs once with the combined threat that she will report me.
You can now rest your case officially. I agree LOT should have not sold a new ticket to a customer signing a credit card slip "SCAM".
While clearly on the mend, you still mess with semantics here - once he signed the slip the airline already sold him a ticket. If they refused to sell him a ticket, they would at least have been consistent.
You started. The OP didn't state the crew promised him being rebooked on a later flight.
We discussed the "Mafia" issue already. OP states in paragraph #8 that the crew promised him that he'd be taken care of.
The OP himself provided a link to a site that put him in that legally defined territory.
Ehm .... no. No to both the link and the 'drunk' status.
I imagine I didn't take much to draw that conclusion for anyone present on the scene and subject to speaking with an individual after five beers and recent barf - but I wasn't there and I'm only operating based on the facts and tools provided by the OP.
Everyone? The OP denies the drunk charges .
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by weero
But that doesn't really surprise you, does it? Not only is Oliver the 2nd person after the author to have read the CoC.
Nope, not at all. And I think Oliver might be the 1st and only person who read those :-).

The CoC may impact what agents are empowered to offer or decline but clauses that clash with the spirit of a transportation agreement have little relevance for a court dispute.
No one ever does. I was witness to several boarding episodes where pax urged GAs and FAs to offload some pax who were so intoxicated and aggressive that they physically harassed and (in the American sense of the word) assaulted other passengers. None of the staff member could ever be bothered.
I've linked to an earlier thread someone was denied boarding by LH. And I witnessed first hand how a flat-out-drunk person was treated upon arrival in Poland on a LOT plane. There was a couple media reported incidents with politicians and such making a ruckus after %, and we hear about and emergency landing due to unruly passengers fairly often too.

I don't drink on the surface of the planet. But I got cut off several times by UA FAs once with the combined threat that she will report me.
I almost don't on both surface and sky and feel ashamed for all those wasted opportunities.

While clearly on the mend, you still mess with semantics here - once he signed the slip the airline already sold him a ticket. If they refused to sell him a ticket, they would at least have been consistent.
Never been on the other side of the terminal, but I think the operated is supposed to check the signature against the original on the card, before actually going through with the transaction?

We discussed the "Mafia" issue already. OP states in paragraph #8 that the crew promised him that he'd be taken care of.
Which is very ambiguous as out conversation proved. And the crew might have lacked the authority on CoC, fare rules and such, thats why I'd put more weight on the gate agent words of rebooking (again, he might have not implied it was free).

Ehm .... no. No to both the link and the 'drunk' status.
I'm drunk then!

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
1.65 liters of beer, if drunken within 2 hours will give an average male a drunkness level of 0,76, I've just calculated it here:

http://www.onmeda.de/selbsttests/promille_rechner.html

Male, 85kg, 1.85m, 1.65 liters of beer @ 5.5% in 2 hours

With 0.76, I was even allowed to drive a car in Switzerland till about 10 years ago (when the limit was lowered from 0.8 to 0.5)
His attitude towards "crazy law" doesn't change the fact it's the law, and it applies even w/o reference to Wikipedia that Rambuster later provided.

Everyone? The OP denies the drunk charges .
A hospital or police document stating his BAL at 0 would greatly aid his argument there.
And there's a Police station right on the airport: http://okecie.policja.waw.pl/
Tests are free.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
As per the T&C, if you are considered unfit to fly they don't need to offer you alternative transportation for free... most airlines do, but at their discretion.
While it's tempting to wade into the drunken discussion, this (the second post on the thread) seems the most important to me.

If we accept that vomiting on the plane is unfit to fly (on that specific flight) then your only hope would be that this T&C is invalidated by existing national law. Otherwise, it seems you have no comeback to LOT?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
If we accept that vomiting on the plane is unfit to fly (on that specific flight) then your only hope would be that this T&C is invalidated by existing national law. Otherwise, it seems you have no comeback to LOT?
LOT does not operate and sell tickets only in Poland. Therefore, they can be taken to court in other jurisdictions and they most certainly need to comply with European regulations on air travel.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
...and these state that no compensation nor any other assistance or rebooking is due in case of denied boarding based on health, safety or documentation issues (because per EU261 this is not considered denied boarding).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This one is pretty cut and dried. Unless the airline can prove the OP was drunk and not just sick to his stomach, they should have provided quick, free, and cheerful reaccommodation on the next possible flight. If that is not legally required, it ought to be. Contact your legislators.

Stay away from those snausages, OP.

Look, I can sympathize with the FAs.... a month or two ago, I was on a little 36 seat plane and the guy across the aisle began barfing as we started to roll back from the gate. The poor girl right next to him began to have sympathetic retching, and I felt a little nauseated myself just seeing it. I wished the poor guy had been taken off the flight by the FAs, as he looked miserable. Luckily, he calmed down after he had emptied out.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:31 pm

These debates are always humorous because the defenders of the airlines tend to argue not on the basis of what a good company would do but what an airline can technically legally get away with.

While of course that is partially caused by the dick-waving nature of internet forums, there is a question as to why you would be so eager to defend a business which isn't trying to make the customer feel valued but instead uses the law against the customer.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Dick-waving!! Brilliant! That's just what it is! (Well, maybe not in this case!) But it's fun to read and has provoked quite a discussion here.

I must say, I have cut down greatly on what food I eat in lounges. I had a very dodgy moment following an Amsterdam lounge visit earlier this year, and I believe there is a certain risk in food that is lying exposed for goodness knows how long. What comes in a packet is fine, as is what comes out of a bottle. No way is 5 beers too much, those bottles tend to be smaller than what you get in shops. I can easily sink 5 bottles of beer without any major effects, so I don't buy the 'intoxicated' accusation at all.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:43 pm

How did they find out you threw up in the restroom? Did you forget to close the door? Somehow I doubt the cabin crew is closely watching the action in the toilet through a peephole camera.

I have to admit I never threw up on a plane, but I quite often do rush to the restroom immediately after boarding - especially when I am in a hurry and don't have time to use the facilities in the terminal. No one has ever questioned my fitness to fly, let alone removed me from the plane.

The uncooperative attitude of the employees in the terminal is of course disturbing. Allowing the airline to remove anyone from the plane at their own discretion opens a wide door for abuse, especially in cases when the plane is overbooked and the airline can escape the EU compensation (and even collect extra money from the new ticket!) by arbitrarily declaring someone unfit to fly. I hope you take this case to a court and collect hefty punitive damages.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lack
Nope, not at all. And I think Oliver might be the 1st and only person who read those :-).
I am also sure he knows the tail number of the bird the OP was booted from.

And its engine maintenance schedule. Plus the hours on the airframe.
I've linked to an earlier thread someone was denied boarding by LH.
That is laudable. A friend of mine also experienced the IDB of a malodorous family at FRA ... though these things happen nowhere often enough.
And I witnessed first hand how a flat-out-drunk person was treated upon arrival in Poland on a LOT plane.
Worth reporting? We had a totally tanked seat neighbour on a KLM flight he became verbally abusive and so we reported him. The FAs brought him a drink to calm him down (sic!). After they told him that we complained about him, he became very aggressive and finally assaulted one of my companions but tossing the drink he received for calming down in his face.
The crew responded to our demands to have him either removed or restrained by talking to him nicely and getting him another drink less than 15 mins later...
There was a couple media reported incidents with politicians and such making a ruckus after %, and we hear about and emergency landing due to unruly passengers fairly often too.
Yes I remember those.
I almost don't on both surface and sky and feel ashamed for all those wasted opportunities.
True ... but then I throw up if I drink more than a minimum amount of alcohol ... to add insult to incapability: every time I have been cut off by UA crews I have had exactly zero drink before and on the flight ...
Never been on the other side of the terminal, but I think the operated is supposed to check the signature against the original on the card, before actually going through with the transaction?
But with the modern slips either 2cm wide or you having to sign with a broom-sized pen on an angled touch screen, I would not recognise any of these as intelligently designed.
A hospital or police document stating his BAL at 0 would greatly aid his argument there.
And there's a Police station right on the airport: http://okecie.policja.waw.pl/
Tests are free.
I agree that is indeed a good idea. I am also very keen on documentation and it has saved my rear on various occasions.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
How did they find out you threw up in the restroom? Did you forget to close the door?
Or maybe he did close the door but it wasn't the lavatory ...
Allowing the airline to remove anyone from the plane at their own discretion opens a wide door for abuse, especially in cases when the plane is overbooked and the airline can escape the EU compensation (and even collect extra money from the new ticket!) by arbitrarily declaring someone unfit to fly.
A working colleague of mine flew to Europe via HKG on an LH ticket. The flight was oversold and they tried to solicit volunteers for trinkets (HKG style - $50 for coach, $2000 for Biz). She was then approached by one of the many GAs and told that her visa was no good for this flight and she needed to be rebooked on a later flight ... they then collected the fare difference from her as her booking class "was no longer available"...
I hope you take this case to a court and collect hefty punitive damages.
No punitive damages on Europe. This is why these games are played even with unenforceable CoC clauses.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:01 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
These debates are always humorous because the defenders of the airlines tend to argue not on the basis of what a good company would do but what an airline can technically legally get away with.
+1. And the same applies to debates about actions taken by hotel chains as well.

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.