Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Busted for FUI! (Flying under the influence)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
And no, I won't "move on". I'll make sure that LOT won't be able to put such kind of "non-customer support" any more.
Entertaining thread..... but maybe it's time to take a bit of that chip of your shoulder?

You seem awfully quick to dismiss your piggish behavior (I simply cannot classify stuffing yourself to the max for 2 hours with food and beer and then throwing up on the plane as something different). That was the event that set everything after in motion. We all have our moments of weakness, but most choose not to advertise them in public....

So it's your prerogative to chase LOT for anything they did wrong. But don't forget that when you go looking for trouble, like you did, then you will most likely find it, like you did as well.

And don't fool yourself that what you do will have any impact on LOT. But I do hope you take us on a enjoyable journey getting to a final result.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Lack
Originally Posted by kaell
Warsaw airport staff is rude, unhelpful, particularly in the transfer desk support,
they can not do anything, the airline operating stuff is no longer present, they will help nothing and so it is always like that
Agreed for the most part, ground service is the worst part of the whole LOT experience.
At least we all agree to this part and it is in my experience quote consistent with the whole Warsaw experience as I could easily extend it to hotel staff, waiters and taxi drivers in that city - hoping not to offend Polish people in general.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Seems some people here (I guess they know who I mean) still don't understand.. apart from that, some comments are just silly (like the one from RTW1 just now..)

I don't blame for LOT to have me removed from their airplane. In fact, been I in the position of the cabin crew, I might still have done the same. And yes, I take most of the blame that why I had to throw up. I've never said different.

Seems that's all "your beef" anyway, you just repeat yourself about something that I've said right from the start.

What you basically ignore is everything afterwards.

Weero said it perfectly already, and I guess I won't need to repeat him here again.

If 0.76 in Polish law is indeed "drunk", then I guess you truly have, let's say it, crazy laws. Might be your country has more issues with drunken people and therefore stricter laws (like, not being able to drink alcohol in public) which is fine for me - but I wasn't about to drive here.

Yes, it was - again - my fault to have eaten quite a bit, having enjoyed a few beers, and walked too fast to the gate.

Still, you basically ignore the point, that LOT throw me off the plane / IDB'd me, then happily sold me a fresh ticket.

According to your argumentation, any airline should check at the gate for their passengers not having drunk over, what is the limit to be considered "drunk" in Poland? 0.5? And then deny them boarding, and forcing them to buy a new ticket? THAT'S what I consider the point here.

After all - according to Oliver2002's argumentation, the airline is fine to deny boarding if they believe that you can't fly - which is what they did here.. and as according to lack having enjoyed 5 beers is considered "drunk" in Poland, they could just decide so..

Would be a nice extra money from LOT.. if they can manage to convince the judge that IDB'ing someone, followed by selling him a fresh ticket is perfectly fine and legal behaviour, which I doubt so..

So, instead of the "experts" on "piggish behaviour" here, I'll better let some judge decide this (as LOT will definitely stand their ground)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by fassy
At least we all agree to this part and it is in my experience quote consistent with the whole Warsaw experience as I could easily extend it to hotel staff, waiters and taxi drivers in that city - hoping not to offend Polish people in general.
I think the WAW airport stuff is in a league of their own. Not a fan of the city itself, but I can't say I had any bad experiences there.

What you basically ignore is everything afterwards.
Basically, everything afterward is just nothing.

If 0.76 in Polish law is indeed "drunk", then I guess you truly have, let's say it, crazy laws. Might be your country has more issues with drunken people and therefore stricter laws (like, not being able to drink alcohol in public) which is fine for me - but I wasn't about to drive here.
Poland has a very high drunk driving statistics (combined with a high accident death tool) so the laws are anything but crazy. And yes, drinking in public isn't allowed (unless it's for example behind a 50 cm high "beer garden" fence). And LOT had a fair share of drunk/unruly passenger emergency landings/diversion.

Still, you basically ignore the point, that LOT throw me off the plane / IDB'd me, then happily sold me a fresh ticket.
Like you said, LOT had solid ground for loading you off the plane. And your beef is them selling you a new ticket... crime of the century.

According to your argumentation, any airline should check at the gate for their passengers not having drunk over, what is the limit to be considered "drunk" in Poland? 0.5? And then deny them boarding, and forcing them to buy a new ticket? THAT'S what I consider the point here.

After all - according to Oliver2002's argumentation, the airline is fine to deny boarding if they believe that you can't fly - which is what they did here.. and as according to lack having enjoyed 5 beers is considered "drunk" in Poland, they could just decide so..

Would be a nice extra money from LOT.. if they can manage to convince the judge that IDB'ing someone, followed by selling him a fresh ticket is perfectly fine and legal behaviour, which I doubt so..
There's quite a bit of easier way to extort money then this conspiracy theory. And I'm not sure if LOT is even cunning enough to execute such plan knowingly.

So, instead of the "experts" on "piggish behaviour" here, I'll better let some judge decide this (as LOT will definitely stand their ground)
Again, have a police or doctor report of you being not drunk or under influence would greatly help your case. LOT has their FA and gate agents at witnesses, you have you whatsapp buddy. Sounds like a fun day in court. Luckily, court fees aren't that high in Poland.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Again, have a police or doctor report of you being not drunk or under influence would greatly help your case. LOT has their FA and gate agents at witnesses, you have you whatsapp buddy. Sounds like a fun day in court. Luckily, court fees aren't that high in Poland.
So, according to you/LOT, you've to be sober to fly?

Then why do they serve alcohol in their lounges?

I won't touch polish courts, fortunately the original ticket was sold in Switzerland, so I'll just use an EU261 agency to take care of the IDB case including the extra costs for the additional flight.. won't cost me a penny.. and hopefully LOT a lot
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Just to put it into perspective, in most jurisdictions in the world a blood alcohol level of 0.076% (or even 0.08%) would be considered legally drunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:46 am

So, according to you/LOT, you've to be sober to fly?
I think there's little argument about the cabin crew deeming you unfit to fly on your original flight?
Could be worse, you could get kicked of the bus in Poland for smelling bad.

Then why do they serve alcohol in their lounges?
Obviously to IDB the pax after consumption, like you uncovered in your previous post.

I won't touch polish courts, fortunately the original ticket was sold in Switzerland, so I'll just use an EU261 agency to take care of the IDB case including the extra costs for the additional flight.. won't cost me a penny.. and hopefully LOT a lot
It's always nice to have someone else to pay for ones mistakes.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Just to put it into perspective, in most jurisdictions in the world a blood alcohol level of 0.076% (or even 0.08%) would be considered legally drunk.

Crazy laws!

Another perspective, how to take responsibility:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...oxication.html
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rambuster

Well, according to the Wikipedia article you mention, I could still have driven a car in:

United States, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, England and Wales.. (and couple other states)

Wow, not bad. But apparently too drunk for LOT
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Excuse me! I am not sure if you are joking or if you are serious.
If you are joking - yeah, thats a good laugh.
If you are serious - omg! EC261/2004 wont help you at all in that situation.

Ah ok. So you want to go down the road arguing in front of a court that LOT could not prove you were drunk and not fit to fly? Is it that what you are going at?
Good luck in Swiss or Polish Court! I would recommend you to listen carefully what the judge is going to tell you at the end of the trial.

In any event, you seem to be you are quite famous in trying to bend the EC2061/2004 into your favour - with your little nasty ideas.
Now, I hope for some delay just enough to get me the full compensation (and hopefully a rebooking on a SQ-plane, hehe) and still having a nice weekend in Singapore
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...-lh-promo.html

I was not drunk.[..] It's not forbidden to drink a few beers prior to flying, as much as I understand.
Ah, allright - "just a few beers".

it seems that both LX as well as M&M have sided with me:
Congratulations to your moral victory. Though, it wont bring you penny back.

According to you description, you are supposed to be a SEN.

I congratulate you for making it to SEN, after you have realized in 2011 that you would never make it to SEN.
ok, after having realised I'll never make it to *G / SEN on M&M, I'll simply cheat on them by going Aegean. 20k for *G is certainly nonbeatable
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: SPG Plat, M&M SEN
That is presuming that they will pick up your case (on the success fee basis that they operate). Which I would doubt since they have plenty of straightforward cases that do not involve the dispute over crew's assessment. Like it was said here before, it's your word against theirs and theirs would be on top I'm afraid.

To give this discussion a broader perspective since most of the comments seem to focus around the level of "drunkness/soberness". You probably would be home on time if you were just drunk but didn't throw-up and then again you would also be home if you threw-up but didn't have one drink too many. As far as I remember there is something like airline guidelines on how to assess an 'potentially unfit' passenger. They included quite a few 'symptoms' that the crew is supposed to assess, like the way a passenger speaks, walks, handles carry-on, listens and cooperates etc. You've probably set off enough red lights and they've asked you to leave. That's it. End of story.

All that follows is probably a matter of just bad customer/complaint handling, but nothing that is actually against contract / law that I know of. Honestly, I was surprised to read that you have have been kicked out and thought that it is going to be straightened out by the transfer counter. You know what the message was they got from the crew that kicked you out, right? "Watch out guys, we have booted one drunk and he is coming over to you". Even if that is/was untrue - it was too late to prove them wrong. If that happened to me I would be telling the crew "I'm really sorry, I felt bad after running here but I'm feeling fine now and will not cause any disruptions, please let me stay on the plane, I want to get home in time". That is, if you're still sober enough to be convincing, if not - they made the right assessment.

And +1 on Lack's thoughts on the subsequent ticket sale. I don't see any contradiction between being declared 'unfit to fly' and being sold a ticket, even minutes later.

Just for your own credibility's sake - I'd keep that to myself if I were you. You know what they say about that kid in the class that says *everybody* hates him, right?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:27 am

Wow, not bad. But apparently too drunk for LOT
I didn't spend much time in ZRH or SIN, could someone please advise if having to throw up is a popular social behavior and sign of good health?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
I didn't spend much time in ZRH or SIN, could someone please advise if having to throw up is a popular social behavior and sign of good health?
Come on don't you think you guys are exagerating a little ? Throwing up is a consequence of a bad stomach, for which excessive alcohol is just one of the causes. Why would you assume that somebody is drunk just because he/she feels the need to throw up ? I once went very near to vomiting on an LH flight, and I hadn't event touched a drop of alcohol (I am abstemious) nor had I eaten too much.
I think you guys should give the OP a break.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Plat
In college it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.