Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SMK77
We need to have lunch soon again. You could have flown SQ C with your eVouchers... Expiring is no solution!
I did that twice in the past - good value for money and fallback in case of failure is SQ Y which isn't all that bad.

But the issue is a lot worse here as the flight had I when I booked it....
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I am glad that you are participating in a kind of discussion now. So much easier to demonstrate that you don't even get the basics right:

LH offered 3.7% less flights: that doesn't look like offering more destinations or more frequencies. As far as I know, they stopped KUL, SGN, and CGK - just to name what happened around Singapore.

LH sold 2.3% more RPK - that's due to bigger birds and higher seat loads. Success? No because they had to lure in the additional pax at heavily discounted prices. Any LH executive will confirm that (even to you). That's their biggest headache at the moment: Can we fill the capacity in 2014 and how?
Since FD1971 put a bee in my bonnet yesterday, I called some favours and managed to speak to an industry expert today- the head of global avaiation practice of my previous employer which is a top tier strategy consulting firm (which also has LH, IB and AF as clients) so I am a bit more clear as to what is going on.

I will write up what his thoughts were sometime this week (quite interesting by the way). But one interesting point was that there is no unique Lufthansa miracle going on. All European big three- IAG, LH and AF/KL are cutting cost. AFKL has something called Transform2015 going on with serious cost reductions including getting rid of pilots and employees. IAG has been reading the riot act to IB.

All of them have significant degrees of improvements in key operating factors. All are expecting to make operating profits in the region of EUR 1.5-2 billion in 2015. He thinks IAG will definitely make it, LH should be able to do it and AF/KL should make about half of it. Most of it has to do with improved global economy.

We also talked about managements, gulf carriers, how the airlines are exposed to competition etc. I will need to write up all this stuff and post it when I get some time.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Rambuster
... wonder what a judge would say when LH tells him that those 54 vacant "Business Class" seats are all J fare and not C fare compatible?
That one is easy! Lower ranked judge who tries to uphold the law and the Grundgesetz: agrees that this illegal advertising.

Superior judge with a free SEN card and under the sway of the justice minister "you have to look at the average customer who cannot afford Biz and also cannot afford to change their ticket ... the spirit of the law is such that .. enter reference to Moses/Von Richthofen, or Louis XIV..".
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I find out that on board there are 14 rows of "Business Class" available but only 2 of the 56 seats taken, I will ask them for a credit of the fare difference.
Which route was that?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Success? No because they had to lure in the additional pax at heavily discounted prices.
LH current C class seating should not be sold except at heavily discounted prices @:-)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:00 pm

so much for the "happy" LH family...

"Die Welt"; jan. 13., 2014

Luftfahrt: Die 5000 Lufthansa-Piloten drohen mit Streik
Die rund 5000 Piloten der Lufthansa drohen mit Streik. Die Gewerkschaft VC Cockpit habe eine Urabstimmung eingeleitet, sagte ein Gewerkschaftssprecher. Damit könnte Europas größter Fluglinie in wenigen Wochen ein Arbeitskampf drohen.

Der aktuelle Konflikt entzündet sich an der Kündigung des Tarifvertrags zur Alters- und Übergangsversorgung. Bislang wurden Piloten der Lufthansa spätestens mit 60 Jahren in Rente geschickt. Doch der Europäische Gerichtshof (EuGH) erklärte die entsprechende Regelung 2011 für unzulässig.

Da die Piloten jetzt bis 65 arbeiten könnten, entfalle auch die Notwendigkeit einer Übergangsversorgung, argumentiert die Lufthansa. Der Vertrag sei deshalb zum 31. Dezember 2013 gekündigt worden.

Airline hofft weiter auf Einigung

Die Gewerkschaft erklärte hingegen, die Übergangsversorgung sei für die Piloten immens wichtig, ihre gesamte Karriereplanung sei darauf ausgerichtet. Daneben ziehen sich die Verhandlungen über einen neuen Gehaltstarifvertrag bereits seit zwei Jahren hin.

"Wir suchen weiterhin das Gespräch mit der Gewerkschaft", sagte ein Lufthansa-Sprecher. "Wir sind nach wie vor zuversichtlich, dass wir eine Einigung mit den Piloten finden werden." Bis auf die Piloten hätten sämtliche Berufsgruppen ihren Beitrag zum Sparprogramm Score geleistet.

Mit dem Sparprogramm will die Lufthansa den operativen Gewinn bis zum nächsten Jahr auf 2,3 Milliarden Euro steigern. Der Weg ist noch weit: Für das gerade zu Ende gegangene Jahr sind bis zu 700 Millionen Euro angepeilt.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
LH current C class seating should not be sold except at heavily discounted prices @:-)
I wouldn't even fly LH C as an awards but if the discount is getting close to 100%, we can talk...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by LonLH
...I called some favours and managed to speak to an industry expert today- the head of global avaiation practice of my previous employer which is a top tier strategy consulting firm (which also has LH, IB and AF as clients) so I am a bit more clear as to what is going on.

I will write up what his thoughts were sometime this week...
Thank you for doing this. I always look forward to reading well-informed analysis/opinion.
(Edit: which includes a few of the regular folks here also, BTW... )
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by weero
That one is easy! Lower ranked judge who tries to uphold the law and the Grundgesetz: agrees that this illegal advertising.

Superior judge with a free SEN card and under the sway of the justice minister "you have to look at the average customer who cannot afford Biz and also cannot afford to change their ticket ... the spirit of the law is such that .. enter reference to Moses/Von Richthofen, or Louis XIV..".
That pretty much sums it up. Unfortunately, while most judges might not be outright corrupt, way - way too much corporate influence made it into politics and through it, to the courts.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
There is nothing to do with trust here- I offered EUR 30K to LH for four seats, they decided they might be able to make more than that. I decided I will fly someone else.
Can you blame me- unfortunately for LH I am not a captive customer and people have options.
Now the flights are showing F7 A2 and F8 A2 by the way.
Again, do not take it so personal.

Obviously, based on very complex calculations, they assume to fare better by not discounting 50% of their F cabin.

You found a better deal on BA, so you should be happy and not complain about LH not appreciating your business.

Again, it is tough to be told to f*** off, especially with 30k in your wallet, but so far LH seems to be rather successful telling people to fly the competition.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:09 am
Suspended

the same one who says Willie Walsh will make EUR 1.8 bllion operating profit in 2015.
Same rationale over here, which is also reaffirmed by IATA, so not surprising.

Again, it is mostly the economy driving airline business.

BA (especially at IB) did their homework as well (which does not mean that they can relax now) so they will reap the benefits.

As a former consultant, you should be well aware how companies act in highly cyclical industries. After earning a record profit in 2015, all airlines will be subject to a tougher environment again in the next downturn.

Big difference then, less competition, stronger co-op, but still weaker overall demand, so the best (like LH in the last downturn) might even avoid losing money.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:16 am
Suspended

Since FD1971 put a bee in my bonnet yesterday, I called some favours and managed to speak to an industry expert today- the head of global avaiation practice of my previous employer which is a top tier strategy consulting firm (which also has LH, IB and AF as clients) so I am a bit more clear as to what is going on.

I will write up what his thoughts were sometime this week (quite interesting by the way). But one interesting point was that there is no unique Lufthansa miracle going on. All European big three- IAG, LH and AF/KL are cutting cost. AFKL has something called Transform2015 going on with serious cost reductions including getting rid of pilots and employees. IAG has been reading the riot act to IB.

All of them have significant degrees of improvements in key operating factors. All are expecting to make operating profits in the region of EUR 1.5-2 billion in 2015. He thinks IAG will definitely make it, LH should be able to do it and AF/KL should make about half of it. Most of it has to do with improved global economy.
I will probably see him a few times in the next couple of weeks anyway, at least if he is attending the same conferences. The aviation world is small after all.

And as pointed out weeks ago already, he seems to agree with me re. AF/KL and their delay in restructuring. And, of course, most of it has to do with the improved global economy (and the relevant rounds of cutting bennies within the airlines)

weero has pointed out that the FT audience is rather special, so one cannot blame them for believing that loyalty schemes are the key parameter when it comes to the success of airlines. In reality, other factors are way more important.

Last edited by FD1971; Jan 13, 2014 at 2:21 am
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1003U
Thank you for doing this. I always look forward to reading well-informed analysis/opinion.
(Edit: which includes a few of the regular folks here also, BTW... )
Watch out.

Some FT regulars like to question the knowledge of industry experts, because they know better how to manage an airline, even without relevant degrees, knowledge, experience, contacts, data etc.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
Again, do not take it so personal.

Obviously, based on very complex calculations, they assume to fare better by not discounting 50% of their F cabin.

You found a better deal on BA, so you should be happy and not complain about LH not appreciating your business.

Again, it is tough to be told to f*** off, especially with 30k in your wallet, but so far LH seems to be rather successful telling people to fly the competition.
It is not personal or complaining- just like J9 C0 D0.. now LH has started doing F8 A2 on several routes. CX and SQ still do F6A6 and R9 P9 F9, and I would pay full F for one of them than LH if it comes to a crunch.
I have not flown AA in ages, my TA assures me that the new F hard product is very good. Worth a try.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
Same rationale over here, which is also reaffirmed by IATA, so not surprising.

Again, it is mostly the economy driving airline business.

BA (especially at IB) did their homework as well (which does not mean that they can relax now) so they will reap the benefits.

As a former consultant, you should be well aware how companies act in highly cyclical industries. After earning a record profit in 2015, all airlines will be subject to a tougher environment again in the next downturn.

Big difference then, less competition, stronger co-op, but still weaker overall demand, so the best (like LH in the last downturn) might even avoid losing money.
Which is why my biggest cudgel with you in selectively attributing LH with eternal wisdom unmatched by anyone else in industry. BA seems to be doing as well, if not better, without p***ng of as many customers as LH does. Even AF seems to be doing fine, despite its dire management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.