Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis offer: 3h 99€ Porsche rentals for HON/F pax in FRA & MUC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:10 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pav
Since your residency is outside Europe they may not bother to send you the ticket.
MY DL is from California. I guess I'll keep an eye on the mail.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
You mention 45 in a 30 zone, so it may very well be the local office sending out the 25€ fine will not bother to contact you. In October I was caught by a speed trap going about 38-40 in a 30 zone, they contacted Avis who charged me 30€ for the work but the city of Munich never contacted me, and I live in Munich.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I was caught speeding a year ago in HAM. 8 kph over the posted limit. Ticket with my photo (damn, I must have been very tired!) was sent to my home -- I never heard anything from Europcar.

Fine was 10 Euro!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I have a 5hr layover in FRA on feb 6..tempted to do this but not sure if that would be enough time considering traveling to/from gates and maybe getting a snack and hanging out in the first class terminal.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:59 am

To those who have tried this already, is the maximum speed limited electronically? I was quite disappointed when the M3 I rented in Munich last year stopped the climb at 250...
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmff
To those who have tried this already, is the maximum speed limited electronically? I was quite disappointed when the M3 I rented in Munich last year stopped the climb at 250...
At least in Italy the RS6, 991/997, and M3 I have driven are all electronically limited to 260 km/h- not rental cars but privately purchased. I do believe you can get the chips reprogrammed/this overridden however there is a very real risk of warranty impact if you do this. I don't think it is a legal thing as Ferrari, Maserati, Bugatti, Lamborghini et etc are not limited at all.

This being said- having driven 250 km/h on the autobahn I don't think I would push to go any faster regardless of the vehicle and on the tracks there is not enough space in the production cars I have driven to get up to this speed prior to curves anyway- you need a motorcycle for that.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by mmff
I'm not sure if the one that I got was speed limited but I had it up to 270 if I remember correctly.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by habshabs444
I'm not sure if the one that I got was speed limited but I had it up to 270 if I remember correctly.
The 2014 models are marketed as being limited electronically to 155 mph/251.1 km/h. Anyway on most roads even in Germany it is extremely difficult to safely exceed this speed.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/201...-ar101332.html
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:43 pm

Next week, I'll be flying 747-8 from ORD to FRA in F then lay over in FCT for 6 hours (arriving at 7.30am and depart at 1.35pm) to continue on 747-400 from FRA to NRT in F.

Any tips on how should I manage the time? this is my first time in FCT and I have confirmed porsche reservation. Is it true that they saved the route in the GPS?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by edyonline
Next week, I'll be flying 747-8 from ORD to FRA in F then lay over in FCT for 6 hours (arriving at 7.30am and depart at 1.35pm) to continue on 747-400 from FRA to NRT in F.

Any tips on how should I manage the time? this is my first time in FCT and I have confirmed porsche reservation. Is it true that they saved the route in the GPS?
The route saving is YMMV. Mine had about 50 routes saved, but they all went to Italy. 3 hrs is hardly enough time to get to Italy, porsche or not. My suggestion would be to have an iphone/android course plotted in case the car doesn't have anything useful.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:16 pm

Thanks for the info. Any suggestion on the route that worthwhile for first timer in frankfurt?

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
The route saving is YMMV. Mine had about 50 routes saved, but they all went to Italy. 3 hrs is hardly enough time to get to Italy, porsche or not. My suggestion would be to have an iphone/android course plotted in case the car doesn't have anything useful.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:08 pm

Has anyone tried route from the official guide ?http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p..._959042380.pdf

what do you think?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by edyonline
Thanks for the info. Any suggestion on the route that worthwhile for first timer in frankfurt?
I drove to idstein castle and around the surrounding farmlands. Then back to the airport via autobahn. Driving on the country roads was easier but slightly slower.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:28 pm

So I read in one of your trip report that basically the navigation didn't have the preprogrammed route and you just wing it. So did you input any destination on your navigation or pretty much you just drive cluelessly?

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I drove to idstein castle and around the surrounding farmlands. Then back to the airport via autobahn. Driving on the country roads was easier but slightly slower.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
At least in Italy the RS6, 991/997, and M3 I have driven are all electronically limited to 260 km/h- not rental cars but privately purchased. I do believe you can get the chips reprogrammed/this overridden however there is a very real risk of warranty impact if you do this. I don't think it is a legal thing as Ferrari, Maserati, Bugatti, Lamborghini et etc are not limited at all.

This being said- having driven 250 km/h on the autobahn I don't think I would push to go any faster regardless of the vehicle and on the tracks there is not enough space in the production cars I have driven to get up to this speed prior to curves anyway- you need a motorcycle for that.
It is a manufacturer thing and it is has to do more with insurance premiums then laws. You can get the limitation removed by the manufacturer but your premium on your insurance will increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.