Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback thread for the official LH Lurker(s), LufthansaGermanAirlines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:57 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Hello, I have a question regarding the service my in-laws got on board LH474 MUC-YUL last friday. Before I start, I am not trying to assign blame as I was not there and every flight I have flown on LH has been decent (at worst) and very good (at best) when it comes to LH, this is what surprised me the most about their story. I am also very aware that I only got one side of the story. I am merely trying to see what expectations one should have when boarding an LH flight.

My in-laws were travelling with their 2 daughters aged 4 and 2. The 2-year old suffers from a genetic disease called Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. Normally, this condition, if treated right after birth, results in a perfectly normal child. There are, however, situations where this condition requires immediate attention. The parents informed the FA that the child had a rare genetic condition. This will be relevant later.

About 3/4 of the way into the flight, the 2 year old was squirming in her fathers arms as he was walking her up and down the aisle since she was not sleeping. She fell out and hit her head on an armrest and opened up a pretty severe gash on her forehead. I know head wounds often look worse than they are and parents tend to over-react but what happened next is what puzzles me, and I hope someone can enlighten me.

When they asked a FA for a bandage from the first aid kit, the FA replied they had no bandages and that ice and a towel would do. So that is what the parents did but the bleeding did not stop. They then pleaded with the FA to ask if there was a doctor on board, they did and a women doctor came up to check the situation out. She was informed of the childs condition and asked to see the first aid kit. She was shocked to discover that there was no disinfectant (only anti-bacterial gel which was useless in this situation) and no bandages anywhere on the plane. She managed to get a steri-strip from a passenger(!) and dressed the wound properly.

Once again, I would like to reiterate that this was just a nasty cut to the forehead and not life-threatening, but they found all the crew to be quite cold and unconcerned for the health of a 2 year-old. What happened next is the kicker, because of her condition, she loses salt if she gets to excited (which she was after falling, obviously) so her mom has to prepare an electrolyte solution. She went back to the galley to have some space and prepare the solution when a male FA rudely told her that she was in the way (no meals were being served or prepared) and she should leave. The mother was in shock until another FA (female) came and told her "don't mind him he is having a bad day, stay here"

Needless to say, we are quite puzzled at the lack of concern, rudeness and overall coldness of the crew and apparent lack of basic medical supplies on a TATL flight. I contrasted this with a recent AF flight where I got lightheaded and dizzy in Y and I immediately had 2 FA's around me asking me questions, offering me orange juice and water. They also coolled down the cabin since I was sweating. After 5 minutes and some fluids I felt fine, but I appreciated the concern shown to a 42-year old man feeling dizzy. I would like to think a bleeding 2-year old would get some attention, but not on this flight.

They are not looking for anything special, they just want to understand what their expectations should be when flying LH and should they carry their own basic first aid kit when flying. They all assumed that the first aid kit found on a plane would be at least as equipped as one you can have for your home.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this matter.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:58 am
jog

Programs: LH FT, AB Gold, bahn.comfort
Cabin Lost Property at FRA

Dear Lurkers,
I recently left my camera on my business class seat after arriving from a long haul flight (LH733 PVG-FRA) in the early morning (16.10.12, 5.30am) and although I noticed this right after leaving the plane, the processes at Lufthansa prevented me from getting the camera back which now seems to be lost forever. I posted my frustration with the details here already.

The longer I think about it (because I miss my vacation pictures), the more I get frustrated with the customer service processes of Lufthansa I experienced in this case.

Everyone (bagagge tracing, service centre, lounge) simply hands you a business card with the email of the lost&found department (it does not even have a phone number). No one is able to contact them directly, no one is willing to contact anyone with access to the aircraft. All answers you get is "go home" and wait if the cleaning staff finds the lost item and it gets registered in the system.

I had an exact description where the camera was, but there was no one interested in taking this while the camera was still in eaxactly this location and the aircraft was still at the gate. There was no way to send this crucial information to someone with access to the cabin like the cleaning staff or someone else responsible for the aircraft while it still was uncleaned in FRA (It is still a mystery to me why the camera has not been found since it was right there on the seat, but my best assumption by now is that the schedules for the cleaners are just too tight and registration processes for lost items might be too cumbersome such that they just disposed the camera...).

For sure it is easy for LH since they can simply say that it was my own fault and other airlines might not be better in this respect (my photos are not their problem...). Still, things like this must happen plenty of times per day, just see Oliver's posts in the same thread. Thus, I expect a better customer service from LH here, at least for premium class customers with status at LH's main hub. The frustration about this event alone (as said before, it feels like robbery), resulted in me booking the three flights I made since then (prime-time DUS-MUC) with Air Berlin instead. Hence, I highly recommend looking at this process again from a customer service point of view.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: LX Sen, EK Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Sirius Gold, BA Gold
Dear LH Team, my latest experience yesterday is posted below for your kind comments.

I call this "The 10 hour trip to ... nowhere !"

Flying with a colleague (both SEN and flying business class, > CHF 5'000 per ticket) and due to a technical problem yesterday (Sunday) in Geneva on flight LH1229 we left at 08:35 instead of 07:00 and arrived in FRA at 09:36.

Our connecting flight to Chennai (MAA) LH758 left FRA at 10:07. We therefore had 31 minutes to catch the flight.

Some passengers were taken by bus from our parking space to another flight but not us.

Instead, as there was not one single LH representative (this is Frankfurt not a remote island in the Pacific!) to assist us on arrival, we had to exit and queue for over 2 hours (counters were under-staffed) to no avail. Finally I checked with the First Class counter, managed to get in line only to be told we had already been re-booked on Monday's (today) flight and that we should spend 24 hours waiting in Frankfurt.

There were surely other options via Bombay or Bangalore but since time was against us due to the queuing and arguing ... we had no choice but to fly back to GVA and reschedule our meetings.

No assistance was given by LH, not even a text message although this is advertised all over the airport ("Give us your mobile number and we'll keep you informed" !!!). My mobile number was in the booking and confirmed by LH when I received the check-in email the day before.

Technical problems do happen and must be resolved for flight security. Not taking care of your passengers is another story.

So my Sunday non-trip was 10 hours wasted (door-to-door) for nothing except queuing in Frankfurt. Nice way to spend a Sunday ...

Meanwhile I have:

1) complained via the website (FB-ID 21746688) incl. claiming for the hotel reservations that we had to cancel and pay for
2) asked our TA to rebook these flights for another date and they are not even sure that LH will actually reimburse the original tickets!

Is this is way to treat high-revenue passengers? Honestly I find this behaviour appalling and unacceptable and I wonder how many weeks will go by before I see a response from Customer Service?

Seriously?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:23 am

I laughed this morning when I received an email from LH asking me if I wanted to checkin for my return flight from Chennai since ... I never got there in the first place -
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:19 am

Day 3: So far seems LH has agreed to reimburse our TA and reissue the tickets for end of November. Still no personal contact or email response but I guess LH Customer Service are flooded due to the US cancellations ... since our friendly Lurkers have not posted since Oct 26th - Apart from the obvious bad treatment for which there must be an explanation, should I expect some form of compensation under EU261 ?

Last edited by asimha; Oct 31, 2012 at 2:01 am
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:34 am
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines

Originally Posted by FollowTheSun
Dear Lurkers,
I wondered when your A380s will get equipped with the new business class seats? Is this going to happen this winter? I think it is a shame that the A380s have been equipped with the outdated C product, but hope that they will get the new seats soon. Hope you have positive news for me!
Best regards!

I finally received an answer from the respective department! The retro-fitting will presumably start with the winter schedule 2013, all A380s will be gradually equipped with the new Business Class.
Vanessa
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by newbie elite
Hello, I have a question regarding the service my in-laws got on board LH474 MUC-YUL last friday. Before I start, I am not trying to assign blame as I was not there and every flight I have flown on LH has been decent (at worst) and very good (at best) when it comes to LH, this is what surprised me the most about their story. I am also very aware that I only got one side of the story. I am merely trying to see what expectations one should have when boarding an LH flight.

My in-laws were travelling with their 2 daughters aged 4 and 2. The 2-year old suffers from a genetic disease called Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. Normally, this condition, if treated right after birth, results in a perfectly normal child. There are, however, situations where this condition requires immediate attention. The parents informed the FA that the child had a rare genetic condition. This will be relevant later.

About 3/4 of the way into the flight, the 2 year old was squirming in her fathers arms as he was walking her up and down the aisle since she was not sleeping. She fell out and hit her head on an armrest and opened up a pretty severe gash on her forehead. I know head wounds often look worse than they are and parents tend to over-react but what happened next is what puzzles me, and I hope someone can enlighten me.

When they asked a FA for a bandage from the first aid kit, the FA replied they had no bandages and that ice and a towel would do. So that is what the parents did but the bleeding did not stop. They then pleaded with the FA to ask if there was a doctor on board, they did and a women doctor came up to check the situation out. She was informed of the childs condition and asked to see the first aid kit. She was shocked to discover that there was no disinfectant (only anti-bacterial gel which was useless in this situation) and no bandages anywhere on the plane. She managed to get a steri-strip from a passenger(!) and dressed the wound properly.

Once again, I would like to reiterate that this was just a nasty cut to the forehead and not life-threatening, but they found all the crew to be quite cold and unconcerned for the health of a 2 year-old. What happened next is the kicker, because of her condition, she loses salt if she gets to excited (which she was after falling, obviously) so her mom has to prepare an electrolyte solution. She went back to the galley to have some space and prepare the solution when a male FA rudely told her that she was in the way (no meals were being served or prepared) and she should leave. The mother was in shock until another FA (female) came and told her "don't mind him he is having a bad day, stay here"

Needless to say, we are quite puzzled at the lack of concern, rudeness and overall coldness of the crew and apparent lack of basic medical supplies on a TATL flight. I contrasted this with a recent AF flight where I got lightheaded and dizzy in Y and I immediately had 2 FA's around me asking me questions, offering me orange juice and water. They also coolled down the cabin since I was sweating. After 5 minutes and some fluids I felt fine, but I appreciated the concern shown to a 42-year old man feeling dizzy. I would like to think a bleeding 2-year old would get some attention, but not on this flight.

They are not looking for anything special, they just want to understand what their expectations should be when flying LH and should they carry their own basic first aid kit when flying. They all assumed that the first aid kit found on a plane would be at least as equipped as one you can have for your home.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this matter.

Hi newbie elite,
as I don’t know the details about requirements for first aid kits and medical education of flight attendants on board of a Lufthansa flight, please allow me to get back to you once I have received all information from the respective department.
I’m sorry to hear your in-laws felt they were treated in a rude and cold manner. I will forward your feedback to the respective crew. Am I right assuming you’re talking about LH474 on October 19th?
Vanessa
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by jog
Dear Lurkers,
I recently left my camera on my business class seat after arriving from a long haul flight (LH733 PVG-FRA) in the early morning (16.10.12, 5.30am) and although I noticed this right after leaving the plane, the processes at Lufthansa prevented me from getting the camera back which now seems to be lost forever. I posted my frustration with the details here already.

The longer I think about it (because I miss my vacation pictures), the more I get frustrated with the customer service processes of Lufthansa I experienced in this case.

Everyone (bagagge tracing, service centre, lounge) simply hands you a business card with the email of the lost&found department (it does not even have a phone number). No one is able to contact them directly, no one is willing to contact anyone with access to the aircraft. All answers you get is "go home" and wait if the cleaning staff finds the lost item and it gets registered in the system.

I had an exact description where the camera was, but there was no one interested in taking this while the camera was still in eaxactly this location and the aircraft was still at the gate. There was no way to send this crucial information to someone with access to the cabin like the cleaning staff or someone else responsible for the aircraft while it still was uncleaned in FRA (It is still a mystery to me why the camera has not been found since it was right there on the seat, but my best assumption by now is that the schedules for the cleaners are just too tight and registration processes for lost items might be too cumbersome such that they just disposed the camera...).

For sure it is easy for LH since they can simply say that it was my own fault and other airlines might not be better in this respect (my photos are not their problem...). Still, things like this must happen plenty of times per day, just see Oliver's posts in the same thread. Thus, I expect a better customer service from LH here, at least for premium class customers with status at LH's main hub. The frustration about this event alone (as said before, it feels like robbery), resulted in me booking the three flights I made since then (prime-time DUS-MUC) with Air Berlin instead. Hence, I highly recommend looking at this process again from a customer service point of view.

Dear jog,
I am very sorry to hear about the trouble with your lost camera and I absolutely understand your frustration. Please let me assure you that in case someone has lost an item on board a Lufthansa aircraft, we will try to locate this item as quickly as possible by means of an intensive search. This is not always possible right after the arrival, but once the cleaning staff is inside the aircraft they will look for it and report any foundings. Unfortunately the search was not succesful in your case and I will forward your feedback regarding the 'Lost on board' - Procedere to the responsible department.
Best, Fatime
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by asimha
Dear LH Team, my latest experience yesterday is posted below for your kind comments.

I call this "The 10 hour trip to ... nowhere !"

Flying with a colleague (both SEN and flying business class, > CHF 5'000 per ticket) and due to a technical problem yesterday (Sunday) in Geneva on flight LH1229 we left at 08:35 instead of 07:00 and arrived in FRA at 09:36.

Our connecting flight to Chennai (MAA) LH758 left FRA at 10:07. We therefore had 31 minutes to catch the flight.

Some passengers were taken by bus from our parking space to another flight but not us.

Instead, as there was not one single LH representative (this is Frankfurt not a remote island in the Pacific!) to assist us on arrival, we had to exit and queue for over 2 hours (counters were under-staffed) to no avail. Finally I checked with the First Class counter, managed to get in line only to be told we had already been re-booked on Monday's (today) flight and that we should spend 24 hours waiting in Frankfurt.

There were surely other options via Bombay or Bangalore but since time was against us due to the queuing and arguing ... we had no choice but to fly back to GVA and reschedule our meetings.

No assistance was given by LH, not even a text message although this is advertised all over the airport ("Give us your mobile number and we'll keep you informed" !!!). My mobile number was in the booking and confirmed by LH when I received the check-in email the day before.

Technical problems do happen and must be resolved for flight security. Not taking care of your passengers is another story.

So my Sunday non-trip was 10 hours wasted (door-to-door) for nothing except queuing in Frankfurt. Nice way to spend a Sunday ...

Meanwhile I have:

1) complained via the website (FB-ID 21746688) incl. claiming for the hotel reservations that we had to cancel and pay for
2) asked our TA to rebook these flights for another date and they are not even sure that LH will actually reimburse the original tickets!

Is this is way to treat high-revenue passengers? Honestly I find this behaviour appalling and unacceptable and I wonder how many weeks will go by before I see a response from Customer Service?

Seriously?
Hi asimha,
yes, you are right, hurricane Sandy is keeping us fairly busy, please excuse the late reply.
I'm sorry to hear about the inconveniences caused by the flight delay. I have forwarded your feedback to Customer Relations and have reminded them that you are waiting for an answer. They will get back to you as soon as possible.
Vanessa
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Milla
Hello Team !
This a great initiative.
I am an FTL and I fly regularly between LHR and FRA , since the spin off of BMI there has been no lounge facilites for FTL in LHR , can you tell me if this will continue to be the case ? i have just requalified and will start to qualify with BA for the future if this situation does not improve , the lounge in LHR was the best perk of being an FTL for me...

Many thanks
M
Hello Milla,
I can fully understand that the lounge in LHR was one of the best perk for you of being an FTL. As the lounge at Heathrow now is a Star Alliance Business Class Lounge (contract lounge), I'm sorry to tell you, that we unfortunately don´t offer a lounge for Frequent Flyers at this time. Nevertheless the Star Alliance airlines are in close exchange with the Heathrow airport authorities to discuss the approach for the new terminal. No final decision is yet being made. Therefore right now I can not promise you how everything will develop. But be sure we´ll do our best to improve wherever we can. Thank you for your loyalty. Kind regards, Vanessa
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:00 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by LufthansaGermanAirlines
Hi newbie elite,
as I don’t know the details about requirements for first aid kits and medical education of flight attendants on board of a Lufthansa flight, please allow me to get back to you once I have received all information from the respective department.
I’m sorry to hear your in-laws felt they were treated in a rude and cold manner. I will forward your feedback to the respective crew. Am I right assuming you’re talking about LH474 on October 19th?
Vanessa
Thank you for your quick response, replied to your pm. Your presence in these forums is much appreciated, LH is to be commended for that.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:30 am

Hi asimha,
yes, you are right, hurricane Sandy is keeping us fairly busy, please excuse the late reply.
I'm sorry to hear about the inconveniences caused by the flight delay. I have forwarded your feedback to Customer Relations and have reminded them that you are waiting for an answer. They will get back to you as soon as possible.
Vanessa
Dear Vanessa, your prompt reply considering the work load is much appreciated , however this was not a "delay" but a missed connection resulting in a cancelled business trip which could have been (relatively) easily avoided by LH. Thank you - André
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL
Hello Milla,
I can fully understand that the lounge in LHR was one of the best perk for you of being an FTL. As the lounge at Heathrow now is a Star Alliance Business Class Lounge (contract lounge), I'm sorry to tell you, that we unfortunately don´t offer a lounge for Frequent Flyers at this time. Nevertheless the Star Alliance airlines are in close exchange with the Heathrow airport authorities to discuss the approach for the new terminal. No final decision is yet being made. Therefore right now I can not promise you how everything will develop. But be sure we´ll do our best to improve wherever we can. Thank you for your loyalty. Kind regards, Vanessa
Vanessa , regrettably i cannot wait until the new terminal and as i have just qualifed again as LH FTL i'll be switching to BA for the year ahead.
Many thanks for your prompt reply however ^
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by newbie elite
TYour presence in these forums is much appreciated, LH is to be commended for that.
agree fully ^
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by asimha
Dear Vanessa, your prompt reply considering the work load is much appreciated , however this was not a "delay" but a missed connection resulting in a cancelled business trip which could have been (relatively) easily avoided by LH. Thank you - André
Day 5: The 10 hour flight to nowhere - Season 1, Episode II

Following my post of October 28th, I did eventually receive an email Friday afternoon, after which I have suggested to our LH Sales person to contact me directly at his earliest convenience. If this still does not happen I will post the contents of the reply I received which truly demonstrate the quality of the CRM tools used by Lufthansa and their preformatted responses which sadly avoid the essence of the original complaint of their top-tier customers ...

Last edited by asimha; Nov 3, 2012 at 2:26 pm Reason: Added some news ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.