Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Launches "Blue Legends" app for "foursquare" users

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DUB-FRA
I'm sorry but I never got that check in thing. Can someone explain it to me? What is the benefit?
The point (no pun intended) of these programs is to create a sense of friendly competition among your circle of friends. The way they do it is to award points for frequenting restaurants, attractions, etc.

LH has taken it to flights, lounges and airports. Points and gifts will be earned by the traveler based on their activity. The airline receives potentially important marketing information regarding the behaviors of their clientele.

Similar programs usually result in users getting coupons or tangible rewards for using the application.

I never used to be a fan of social media apps like this, but that is no longer the case since I downloaded foursquare. it can become a bit addicting!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Excerpt from LH's presser that talks about certain badge opportunities:

For example, customer’s flying across the Atlantic Ocean can
unlock the “Atlantic Badge” and users can become “Expert Pilots” on the routes they fly most frequently. Early risers who check in before 6 a.m. are awarded the “Early Bird” badge. And, anyone who racks up more than 241,092 miles with Lufthansa will receive the “To the Moon” badge. Badge by badge, regular travelers who check in most frequently to Lufthansa venues can become true “legends of the skies” with Blue Legends.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I'm sorry but I never got that check in thing. Can someone explain it to me? What is the benefit?
The point (no pun intended) of these programs is to create a sense of friendly competition among your circle of friends. The way they do it is to award points for frequenting restaurants, attractions, etc.

LH has taken it to flights, lounges and airports. Points and gifts will be earned by the traveler based on their activity. The airline receives potentially important marketing information regarding the behaviors of their clientele.

Similar programs usually result in users getting coupons or tangible rewards for using the application.

I never used to be a fan of social media apps like this, but that is no longer the case since I downloaded foursquare. it can become a bit addicting!
That makes sense for restaurants but doesn't LH already have that information? It's all on the flight stats page in your M&M profile.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
LH has taken it to flights, lounges and airports. Points and gifts will be earned by the traveler based on their activity. The airline receives potentially important marketing information regarding the behaviors of their clientele
That makes sense for restaurants but doesn't LH already have that information? It's all on the flight stats page in your M&M profile.
LH can collect more useful information if they can find what other airlines their clientele is flying.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:10 am
Original Poster

More from LH on Blue legends:

Codeshare flights are included as long as the flight has an LH flight number. I'm waiting for a couple of clarifying answers as exactly what that entails and how far reaching it. It would be great if my GRR-ORD flight would be in the "running" for something.

A points system is being evaluated but for the purposes of the beta points will not be included. (need to make sure a system can be in place to avoid "fraudulent check-ins")

badges, vouchers, mayorships will all be based on a random algorithm to maintain an element of surprise so that no one can detect a pattern.

From my conversations and emails with the team behind Blue Legends, they want this to be a fun app and not have it turn into something that people exploit.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:14 am
Original Poster

LH's social media team is looking to create a "fun" app that people can enjoy and be surprised by --that seems to be a central theme to their efforts. I think part of the product is to appeal to a younger and social-media aware demographic and to have "Lufthansa" become part of their social media vocabulary. Passive marketing does have its benefits! (Like clicking the signature of some weird blogger at the bottom of his post ).
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Passive marketing does have its benefits! (Like clicking the signature of some weird blogger at the bottom of his post ).
Well, it's not passive marketing anymore then, is it? ... and btw it worked for me, I clicked
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:38 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Good thing they launched the beta first - some guy named Stepman K. is abusing the hell out of the app. He's the mayor of most flights out of Germany by now...
Old Jul 4, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
As some know, I also somehow like 4sq.
But I am still curious, how LH track my activity.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
like having flown on a middle seat 5 times in a row etc.
That's just an example, I know. But where do I deliver this information?

For example, customer’s flying across the Atlantic Ocean can
unlock the “Atlantic Badge” and users can become “Expert Pilots” on the routes they fly most frequently. Early risers who check in before 6 a.m. are awarded the “Early Bird” badge. And, anyone who racks up more than 241,092 miles with Lufthansa will receive the “To the Moon” badge. Badge by badge, regular travelers who check in most frequently to Lufthansa venues can become true “legends of the skies” with Blue Legends.
Codeshare flights are included as long as the flight has an LH flight number.
How does LH/Blue Legends get that info?
I frequently check in at the Airports/Lounges I am. But actually never on a "flight" or anything which provides detailed data (yes, I tweet about a/c reg, route etc, but that's a different story).
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Hippo72
As some know, I also somehow like 4sq.
But I am still curious, how LH track my activity.

That's just an example, I know. But where do I deliver this information?

How does LH/Blue Legends get that info?
I frequently check in at the Airports/Lounges I am. But actually never on a "flight" or anything which provides detailed data (yes, I tweet about a/c reg, route etc, but that's a different story).
There are 'flights' loaded in the 4sq system for example search LH 2400 and you find the MUC-BSL flight. A list is also here: https://foursquare.com/lufthansa

So if you checkin for that flight, they will mesh your FFP data (provided by you at sign up) with the flight number and determine the seat number. The new Samba plattform will supposedly deliver the goods. Time will tell. I'm certainly making sure I become the major of my next LH longhaul to challenge them to place the headrest cover!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

from what I was told, LH codeshare flight numbers will factor in, so supposedly even non LH metal will count. I'll see if that happens next week.....However I dont think it will work now that I think of it since I'm crediting the UA flights to my MP account. Oh well.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
from what I was told, LH codeshare flight numbers will factor in, so supposedly even non LH metal will count. I'll see if that happens next week.....However I dont think it will work now that I think of it since I'm crediting the UA flights to my MP account. Oh well.
The LH 4sq page lists the 695 flights they have loaded, I've seen a number of TG and UA flight numbers in there... what FFP number you have in the legends app doesn't matter.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
There are 'flights' loaded in the 4sq system for example search LH 2400 and you find the MUC-BSL flight. A list is also here: https://foursquare.com/lufthansa

So if you checkin for that flight, they will mesh your FFP data (provided by you at sign up) with the flight number and determine the seat number. The new Samba plattform will supposedly deliver the goods. Time will tell. I'm certainly making sure I become the major of my next LH longhaul to challenge them to place the headrest cover!
Awesome! Thank you! :kiss:
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:58 am

What's the point of a top 5 when all in the top 5 (impossibly) already seem to have all the badges?

Last edited by fivesixseven; Jul 8, 2012 at 6:51 am
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:16 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Well it seems that they still don't have any sort of anti-cheating system in place. Which is strange if the system is as interconnected as this thread suggests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.