Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by hkcj
Any opinions about 88K/C upstairs (aisle and window on opposite sides - I'd be hoping to get someone to swap which seems reasonable given the same row) vs. 11A/C for a red-eye NYC->FRA? Given COVID upstairs feels like it may be a little less exposure (fewer people in close proximity) but it's a hassle to ask people to swap, especially in business class where they use a roster.
IME upstairs is usually full where downstairs isn't always, if you are a few days from departure and all of downstairs is open and upstairs is full go downstairs if you are worried about COVID
Old Aug 13, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by N104UA
IME upstairs is usually full where downstairs isn't always, if you are a few days from departure and all of downstairs is open and upstairs is full go downstairs if you are worried about COVID
Alas, the downstairs only has a handful of open seats. Others may just be blocked though.

Actually, that's another question - if I can get my United number on the reservation (I'm *G) do I get preferential seat selection? It seems like some of the ones upstairs are blocked based on ExpertFlyer.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Alas, the downstairs only has a handful of open seats. Others may just be blocked though.

Actually, that's another question - if I can get my United number on the reservation (I'm *G) do I get preferential seat selection? It seems like some of the ones upstairs are blocked based on ExpertFlyer.
My UA *G number does not get me access to the blocked seats, sadly.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As far as I know, partner *G's doesn't get access to blocked seats.
Mostly, they are for HON's upon request and in some cases for SEN's.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
They also open up at check-in
findark likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by car94102
My UA *G number does not get me access to the blocked seats, sadly.
Good to know - thanks! I appreciate the info.

Last edited by hkcj; Aug 14, 2021 at 11:30 am Reason: Add quotes
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If you are referring to “preferred seats” marked with stars on a seat map such as rows 81 and 82 on the upper deck of the 747-8i, they are available to HONs and SENs to select and there’s no need to request them.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:07 am

I prefer the downstairs middles anyway as they give you significantly more space and guaranteed aisle access.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you are referring to “preferred seats” marked with stars on a seat map such as rows 81 and 82 on the upper deck of the 747-8i, they are available to HONs and SENs to select and there’s no need to request them.
That's what I was talking about - but I'm UA Platinum not a Miles & More member.

Originally Posted by curt
I prefer the downstairs middles anyway as they give you significantly more space and guaranteed aisle access.
I'm traveling with my wife so the aisle access isn't a big deal and she's never flown upstairs on a 747 so I thought that would be fun. 🤷🏻‍♂ I think in normal times I'd prefer the same, though for a red-eye neither of us is likely to get up anyway. OTOH downstairs middle isn't available so it's somewhat moot.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
I really think that the upstairs has a better feel. there just seems to be more space..plus the side storage is an excellent bonus. If you are traveling as a couple..I would recommend upstairs every time.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:19 pm

Given that there are no longer any side-by-side seats on the plane, I tried to get them to move us into the blocked seats. 🙃

No dice! (NBD, I've set a check-in reminder.)
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:47 pm

Fun fact - the blocked seats upstairs opened up this evening, probably 72 hours before departure. Success for me, and hopefully helpful knowledge to others.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
That's what I was talking about - but I'm UA Platinum not a Miles & More member.
I was replying to ISTFlyer who suggested preferred seats have to be requested by HONs and SENs.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
No.

By the magic of Lufthansa's IT, the star-blocked "preferred" seats are available for both HONs and SENs to book. No special requests required.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 5:40 am

Flying MIA FRA in F on the 747. Sadly, 1A/1K are taken. All others are open. Any suggestions on what’s best? I’ve only flown in the nose before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.