Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Brussels [BRU]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by MarylandGuy
Later this month I'm connecting IAD->BRU (UA950) arriving at 7:15 and connecting BRU->BUD (SN2823). Does UA and SN interline bags? I've never done a Schengen connection before. Do I need to grab them for customs or re checkin with SN?
Is this all on one ticket? If yes, your luggage will be check through all the way to BUD, where you will be reunited with it and go through customs.

In BRU you will have to go through passport control ("immigration") during your transfer from pier B to pier A.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Is this all on one ticket? If yes, your luggage will be check through all the way to BUD, where you will be reunited with it and go through customs.

In BRU you will have to go through passport control ("immigration") during your transfer from pier B to pier A.
You'll possibly get security AND immigration (security comes first, all in the same room). There's a *G lane at security, but the few times I've been through I was either by myself, or with one other passenger in front/behind me, so only one lane open.

(Brussels doesn't seem to separate non-Schengen arrivals into sterile/non-sterile unfortunately, unlike FRA/MUC/ZRH where you usually wouldn't have to go through security again. However I've only ever arrived from LHR, with a bus transfer - maybe things are different if you arrive at a normal gate?)
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Silver
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm happy to not need to lug around the bags.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Hi all! I have a last minute question about connecting on separate tickets in BRU. We are flying into BRU from Schengen tomorrow, arriving at 14:10. Then we will be departing to DOH on QR (in J if that matters) at 17:15. Two passengers, hand baggage only.

For some unknown reason I cannot check in online for the second leg of the itinerary. Are those three hours enough to go lanside, check in at the desk and get back to our gate on time? If not, what is the likelihood that QR would issue boarding passes earlier at another airport? I assume no QR transfer desks at BRU.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by FlyingCow
Are those three hours enough to go lanside, check in at the desk and get back to our gate on time?
Yes. You can be at the check in desk 15-20 minutes after leaving the plane (more if you have a bus gate). It is a long uncomfortale walk, more like an obstacle course, but there are no waiting lines anywhere of course.

I have not flown QR from BRU, but in my experience (other airports) their check in desks close 1 hour before departure (not the more usual 40 minutes). Keep that in mind.

I assume no QR transfer desks at BRU.
Again, no personal experience. But try the transit desks at the end of pier A to see if they can help you. (Instead of turning left with the crowds, continue straight for a few metres.) But maybe they are for SN and partners only.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:30 am

Thanks, Koby, really informative! Arriving on a Fokker I guess the likelihood of bus gate is high, so will keep that in mind.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: M&S E+, Skymiles Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite,
Thanks, Koby, really informative! Arriving on a Fokker I guess the likelihood of bus gate is high, so will keep that in mind.
If you come in on KL (not quite sure if there's any other airlines here that opperate a Fokker), you'll rarely be at a bus gate.

The transfer desk is for SN only and they can not help you if you travel on another airline.
A few years ago there was another transfer desk right next to it for SK, but that's been quite some time since it's closed due to budget cuts.

You can try and pass border control with your passport and just the reservation, explaining you're transferring in BRU.
Depending on the officer, and whether he slept fine or not, you might get through. It's happening a lot, but sometimes we also hear from passengers they had to go all the way to check-in again.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by headhunterke
If you come in on KL (not quite sure if there's any other airlines here that opperate a Fokker), you'll rarely be at a bus gate.

The transfer desk is for SN only and they can not help you if you travel on another airline.
A few years ago there was another transfer desk right next to it for SK, but that's been quite some time since it's closed due to budget cuts.

You can try and pass border control with your passport and just the reservation, explaining you're transferring in BRU.
Depending on the officer, and whether he slept fine or not, you might get through. It's happening a lot, but sometimes we also hear from passengers they had to go all the way to check-in again.
Thanks a lot! This is really useful. We are indeed coming in on KL. We will give your suggestion a try.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: A3*G
If you send a 'tweet' to @BrusselsAirport the social media team there is great and will probably be able to tell you your best connection route.

Originally Posted by headhunterke

Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Here is a first hand experience, hopping between Terminal A (Schengen) and Terminal B (Non-Schengen) in Brussels.

A (airside, clean) -> B (airside, clean):
This is very easy.
You just need to move back to the central security area (you stay airside on the clean side) and just move towards B. There is a special escalator, so you do have to pass again through the annoying duty free shopping street.
Depending on you passport, you may use the e-gates to pass Schengen exit immigration. No one is checking the boarding pass. After passing the checkpoint you only have to navigate through the annoying duty free shopping street, you have reached the airside clean area of Terminal B.

B (clean, airside) -> A (clean, airside):
This one is more tricky, and (by the rulebook) not possible without a valid Terminal A boarding pass.
From the clean, airside area in B, you need to exit through a small narrow hallway (there is a one-way door). After you passed, you are not clean anymore, because you are mixing with arriving pax from mostly Non-Schengen and Non-EU arrivals. There is a security checkpoint. G4S staff will manually check your boarding pass. I have noticed that if you do not have a boarding pass (but can tell a great story: "I cannot access the mobile boarding pass, because I have no Wifi"), they'll let you pass.
After the checkpoint, you'll need to pass Schengen entry immigration. The e-gates are not always operational.
After that you eventually land at the clean, secure side of the central security checkpoint area. In order to avoid the duty free shopping street, you take the elevator (two floors down) and not the escalator.

Another thing:
If you are connecting at BRU from a Non-Schengen to a Schengen-flight and do have a boarding pass for that Schengen-flight, you may face some hurdles.
I doubt every airline (departing from A) has a contract to service arriving pax (B from Non-Schengen) at B to issue boarding passes.
G4S may let you slip passed them at the security checkpoint. It may work or not work (as explained above).
If you are in a hurry it is better to exit to landside via baggage claim/immigration. Either way (going to A or landside) you need to pass through Schengen entry immigration.
And at landside you search for your airlines and try out the check in machines.
Lines at central security are better managed or easier to predict than the B-A security checkpoint.

One tip:
The checkpoint to access A (coming from B) was very slow, because only one line was open. It would have been faster to just to exit B via immgration/baggage claim/customs, get landside and to reenter A via the central security checkpoint area, because usually lots of lines are open there.

Last edited by warakorn; Dec 18, 2016 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
I guess this is as good of a place to ask as any. Flying SN IAD-BRU with only hand luggage and want to take the train to Bruges. How long would you all estimate it would take from gate to the train station (US passport)? I arrive at 07:25, so it looks like right after a fairly large bank of ex-Africa flights. Just curious if I'll be able to catch the direct train or if I'll need to change trains. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: M&S E+, Skymiles Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite,
You're correct to say this is a peak time. Not only Africa flights, but also some flights from the East (BKK, AUH).
With a non-European passport (just assuming since you're from CO) you will not be able to use the automated immigration kiosks, thus you need to line up with the majority of the other pax. And that line can get very long during peak times.
It will depend on how many immigration officers are at disposal.
One day it can be within 15 minutes, other day it may take an hour (or longer).

If you're aiming at the 7:59 train, it's going to get close. If your flight lands a little early (not uncommon for flights from the US to Europe), you might(!) make it.
But I wouldn't count on it.
To save time, you might want to book your ticket in advance using the website or the app.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:15 am

You don't have to worry about the train. There are no seat reservations for trains within Belgium and there is no flexible pricing, so there is no reason for you to "plan" which train you will take. Once you are ready, look up the fastest connection to Brugge.

If you buy a ticket in advance, it will be valid on any train to Brugge on that day (including the ones for which you need to connect in Brussels).
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I guess this is as good of a place to ask as any. Flying SN IAD-BRU with only hand luggage and want to take the train to Bruges. How long would you all estimate it would take from gate to the train station (US passport)? I arrive at 07:25, so it looks like right after a fairly large bank of ex-Africa flights. Just curious if I'll be able to catch the direct train or if I'll need to change trains. Thanks in advance.

Chris
It's really hit or miss, I arrived on that flight 2 days ago and immigration was empty. But as said above, it can get very busy as well.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Just to make sure I understand, I will be arriving from IAD on UA with a 2.5 hour connection to TLV, both in business. It appears this will all be Terminal B, and my lounge options for a shower and breakfast are The Suites (using BP) and Diamond (PP), non-schengen. Which is best? It appears in theory if I had a longer wait, I could go through security and immigration and go to The Loft in A, but I probably don't want to take the time. That sound about right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.