Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M Flight Award Booking - FAQ and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: LX M&M
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
are you sure the EUR amount is not missing a digit on such a complex itin?
I'd expect at least twice the amount, if not more.
With only one LH flight the amount should be right.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:52 am
GIG

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
are you sure the EUR amount is not missing a digit on such a complex itin?
I'd expect at least twice the amount, if not more.
TG does no more charge any fuel-surcharge. So the only expensive airlines in rhis routing are LH and NZ.
By theway, the rooting has changed, NZ has withdrawn the nonstop service from MEL to WLG on weekends. So I was rebooked to MEL - AKL -WLG.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Which other long haul airline (except TG) from DE does not charge YQ ?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:42 pm

NH i think.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:50 pm

I finally accrued enough miles for a ex-US redemption in F, so now I'm looking if my maximising-oriented itinerary has any chance of actually being booked ;P

I was hoping to do LAX-FRA-ZRH in the middle of June, (ideally LH457, then LH1196), eventually SFO-FRA-ZRH (LH455) then getting a separate ticket back home to TXL, since I assumed M&M wouldn't issue a one-way ticket with two stops. The FAQ seems to imply that's doable though — is that still accurate? Or will the phone-agent (the online tool definitely can't do that) tell me it's impossible, since "more direct routing" exists or some such?

I know it's near impossible to score a F seat ex-SFO/LAX well in advance, but what are my chances of getting one if I'm monitoring availability?

Last edited by klausa; Dec 26, 2016 at 5:09 pm
Old Dec 26, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by klausa
I was hoping to do LAX-FRA-ZRH in the middle of June, (ideally LH457, then LH1196), eventually SFO-FRA-ZRH (LH455) then getting a separate ticket back home to TXL, since I assumed M&M wouldn't issue a one-way ticket with two stops. The FAQ seems to imply that's doable though — is that still accurate? Or will the phone-agent (the online tool definitely can't do that) tell me it's impossible, since "more direct routing" exists or some such? I know it's near impossible to score a F seat ex-SFO/LAX well in advance, but what are my chances of getting one if I'm monitoring availability?
Your chances of LAX-FRA or SFO-FRA First Class in June at this point are virtually nil. The earliest will be inside 14 days, but more likely inside 3-7 days before departure. Even then, your odds are not good as both are good revenue F markets. Even if award seats are released, you will competing with UA and other *A frequent flyers who have the same idea.

LAX/SFO-MUC are occasionally available in advance but rarely in June. Suggest you book DEN-MUC or ORD-FRA, both of which are much easier to find in advance even in June. Then monitor LAX or SFO departures and switch if and when seats are released in the few days before departure, and you can call fast enough. FRA/MUC-ZRH are usually easy to find at pretty much any time. You can add ZRH-TXL for free if ZRH stay is less than 24 hours. Otherwise, just buy a cheap ZRH-TXL ticket to get you home.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:06 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by klausa
I finally accrued enough miles for a ex-US redemption in F, so now I'm looking if my maximising-oriented itinerary has any chance of actually being booked ;P

I was hoping to do LAX-FRA-ZRH in the middle of June, (ideally LH457, then LH1196), eventually SFO-FRA-ZRH (LH455) then getting a separate ticket back home to TXL, since I assumed M&M wouldn't issue a one-way ticket with two stops. The FAQ seems to imply that's doable though — is that still accurate? Or will the phone-agent (the online tool definitely can't do that) tell me it's impossible, since "more direct routing" exists or some such?

I know it's near impossible to score a F seat ex-SFO/LAX well in advance, but what are my chances of getting one if I'm monitoring availability?
I was going to suggest that if the aim of the exercise is to maximise the LH F experience (e.g. visiting both the FCT and ZRH FCL E), flying Europe > US might be better as it will be a day flight. However, having checked award availability in June, I can find F awards for LAX-FRA on some dates but FRA-LAX seems impossible. Also I can only find F awards on LH451 (748i) on a few dates in June but not on LH457 (388). I have not been able to find any F award availability for SFO-FRA (388) at all in June which suggests that F awards on the 388 are difficult/impossible to get.

One way awards do not allow a stopover (a break of journey over 24 hours) and I think only one transfer is allowed in the originating or destination region, so LAX-FRA-TXL or LAX-FRA-ZRH is ok but LAX-FRA-ZRH-TXL is not.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I think only one transfer is allowed in the originating or destination region, so LAX-FRA-TXL or LAX-FRA-ZRH is ok but LAX-FRA-ZRH-TXL is not.
On one-way awards a maximum of two transfers are allowed (I was able to book CUR-PTY-MEX-FRA last year) or BRU-VIE-FRA-KBV this year.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I think only one transfer is allowed in the originating or destination region, so LAX-FRA-TXL or LAX-FRA-ZRH is ok but LAX-FRA-ZRH-TXL is not.
LAX-FRA-ZRH-TXL is perfectly fine. I've booked plenty of awards EU-USA-USA-USA or EU-Asia-Asia-Asia and vice versa.

Originally Posted by olm022
On one-way awards a maximum of two transfers are allowed
The only deciding factor for the amount of transfers is how many regions are involved. It doesn't matter where the transfers are nor whether it is a oneway or a return.

Awards within 1 region: 1 transfer (i.e 2 legs)
Awards between 2 regions: 2 transfers (i.e. 3 legs)
3+ Region Awards: 3 transfers (i.e. 4 legs)

Obviously, this is per direction (so 3+3 legs on a return award between 2 regions).

There are a few exceptions if a routing within Europe is not available with the regular amount of legs (that means, LH & co don't fly it at all, not "it's not available as award on the day I want to fly").
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by olm022
On one-way awards a maximum of two transfers are allowed (I was able to book CUR-PTY-MEX-FRA last year) or BRU-VIE-FRA-KBV this year.
Originally Posted by goliath
LAX-FRA-ZRH-TXL is perfectly fine. I've booked plenty of awards EU-USA-USA-USA or EU-Asia-Asia-Asia and vice versa.
I obviously can't count.

LAX-FRA-ZRH does not involve any transfer in Europe so LAX-FRA-ZRH-TXL might be ok if you can find an agent to book the connection since it can't be booked online. However, it may not give enough time to enjoy both the FCT and the FCL E in ZRH.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:09 am

LAX-FRA-ZRH does not involve any transfer in Europe
Errm, yes, it does: the one in FRA. @:-)
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by goliath
Errm, yes, it does: the one in FRA. @:-)
I think the rule refers to transfers within the destination region, i.e. Europe, so FRA doesn't count. If it does, then your theory is not valid.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:06 am

I think the rule refers to transfers within the destination region, i.e. Europe, so FRA doesn't count. If it does, then your theory is not valid.
I think it's a blanket rule for any transfers at all. Together with the region restrictions it makes some awards non bookable.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:08 am

I am not sure I follow your logic of transfers that "don't count".

The rule regarding transfers (or amount of legs) really is quite simple - and it's not a "theory" of mine. I'll try again, leaving out the word "transfer":
  • Awards within 1 region: your award can have up to 2 legs
  • Awards between 2 regions: your award can have up to 3 legs
  • 3+ Region Awards: your award can have up to 4 legs

If you don't trust my "theory", feel free to call M&M and ask for theirs.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:31 am

I'm basing my 'theory' on this thread (4 and 8) and in particular the following.

Transfers/Stopover:

Reise innerhalb einer Region
Ein Transfer ist erlaubt

Reisen zwischen zwei Kontinenten
ein Segment mit einem Transfer in der Startregion und/oder einem Transfer in der Endregion
which suggests that in the destination region (Europe) only one transfer is allowed, and in this case the transfer is in ZRH and FRA does not count as a transfer because it's an entry point in Europe.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 31, 2016 at 12:09 pm Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.