Wiki Posts
Search

Children`s play/sleep area in lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
This is going a bit off topic but there are 2 business class award seats available OSL-LHR-JNB on June 3rd.

So, set up a BMI account and buy 19000 miles each (there's a promo on at the moment so that will cost you about 200 each).
Book a cash & miles redemption OSL-LHR-JNB
127 cash top up and approx 150 in taxes.

Total spend = 477 for each adult and about 30 for the baby.

If you went on the 2nd you could go OSL-ZRH-JNB but the taxes on LX are higher, especially for the infant.
What?? This is crazy cheap! What airline is the LHR-JNB flight on? SAA I presume? How much more would taxes be on LX?

I dont have the time to do this at the moment, as I am at work, but (I guess no-one can predict this) for how long do you think the seats will last/be available?

Where might I see the free award-seats?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
It's complicated...

Best thing to do is set up the two BMI accounts (don't worry about putting miles in yet) then ring the call centre in India. They're not the best so don't say "Oslo to JNB", break it down flight by flight.

They can check the availability, then you can go buy the miles (which post fairly quickly) and book.

I was talking about SAA flights.

There's also space via Zurich or Munich on some days so even if one set of seats disappeared while you were waiting, you'd still get something. Worst case scenario is going to be LH, but at half the price.

As for taxes, best way to find these is to go onto something like expedia and make dummy bookings. This will tell you the taxes for each route - be sure to put in 2 adults & 1 infant - SA only charge 10% fuel for infants, LX charge 100%.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
It's complicated...

Best thing to do is set up the two BMI accounts (don't worry about putting miles in yet) then ring the call centre in India. They're not the best so don't say "Oslo to JNB", break it down flight by flight.

They can check the availability, then you can go buy the miles (which post fairly quickly) and book.

I was talking about SAA flights.

There's also space via Zurich or Munich on some days so even if one set of seats disappeared while you were waiting, you'd still get something. Worst case scenario is going to be LH, but at half the price.

As for taxes, best way to find these is to go onto something like expedia and make dummy bookings. This will tell you the taxes for each route - be sure to put in 2 adults & 1 infant - SA only charge 10% fuel for infants, LX charge 100%.
Why should I call the callsenter in India when they have a callsenter in the UK?
How many miles are required to book the flight I wanted, according to the website 25000 diamond club point won`t suffice for a business class ticket..?
I have set up the two accounts now.

Last edited by SAA340; Feb 16, 2011 at 11:57 am
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SAA340
Why should I call the callsenter in India??
Because that's the only way you can book award tickets you are looking for with bmi miles.

How many miles are required to book the flight I wanted?
Check this table on the bmi website.

From Norway (zone 2) to South Africa (zone 6) is 50,000 miles or 25,000 + 170 return. One way (x 0.5) is 25,000 miles or 12,500 miles + 85. Since you want to fly in Business (x 1.5) you need 37,500 miles or 18,750 miles + 127.50 per person. Taxes and charges are additional.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Because that's the only way you can book award tickets you are looking for with bmi miles.

Check this table on the bmi website.

From Norway (zone 2) to South Africa (zone 6) is 50,000 miles or 25,000 + 170 return. One way (x 0.5) is 25,000 miles or 12,500 miles + 85. Since you want to fly in Business (x 1.5) you need 37,500 miles or 18,750 miles + 127.50 per person. Taxes and charges are additional.
Ok, I understand now. Thank you very much.
Ill call the callsenter in India tomorrow and see if they can find us two available seats :-)

Really hoping it turns out ok, as this would get us to JNB in business at the price of economy :-) The only negative thing is that we wont earn any miles doing the trip, as we would have had we booked a 'normal' flight..
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:08 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SAA340
Ok, I understand now. Thank you very much.
Ill call the callsenter in India tomorrow and see if they can find us two available seats :-)

Really hoping it turns out ok, as this would get us to JNB in business at the price of economy :-) The only negative thing is that we wont earn any miles doing the trip, as we would have had we booked a 'normal' flight..
Good luck when you phone the call centre! As Swiss Tony has already mentioned you are advised to tell them exactly which flight you want, one by one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.