Search

Children`s play/sleep area in lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver
Children`s play/sleep area in lounge

Hi all.

I am contemplating travelling from LON-JNB on LH in C in June, as they offer some nice prices ex.LON.
I will be travelling with a two-year old, hence I am wondering which lounge in either MUC or FRA is the best in that regard? Are there play areas, or rooms with beds like they have at AMS?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

I am EBB so I will only be accessing the Business CLass lounges.
I do also hold a Diners Club Card, but I do not presume there is a children`s area in that lounge..
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The business lounges in FRA have sleeping areas, but they are not exactly designed for children.

That said the C lounges in FRA (especially the waiting areas near your JNB flight should be spacious enough for children to roam.

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/With-...%20information
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:12 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Biggest Renovated Lufthansa Lounge with Dedicated Childrens Area Opens at Frankfurt

Spacious, more comfortable and new amenities this and more add to the attraction of the Lufthansa Business Lounge in Departure Area B at Frankfurt Airport after extensive renovation. Reopened in time for the high-volume summer season, the 15,000-sq. ft. lounge provides passengers at the Terminal with an innovative feature Jet Friends, a lounge area dedicated to children. Jet Friends sits alongside the lounges customary comfort, bistro and work areas, allowing families and business travelers to satisfy their varied needs.
http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p...dia_843005.pdf
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Fantastic news! Thank you for the link and info. I guess that settles it. Will book via FRA.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by SAA340
Fantastic news! Thank you for the link and info. I guess that settles it. Will book via FRA.
If you are flying out of LHR, the Star Alliance lounge in T1 has a small play area for children.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
MUC is a better option if you have the choice: they have a lounge for kids (mainly for UMs) and various vendors (like Europcar) have interactive games in the waiting area.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Amazed to hear you're getting such a good deal, what with the Lufthansa fuel surcharges and the UK air tax.

If you're allowed a stopover (>24hrs) in Frankfurt (or Munich) for no charge, you might want to take that as it'll trim several hundred GBP off your fare.

If you can get on Swiss, I believe they have lower fuel charges and they have a great playroom in Zurich, including a sleeping room for the youngest ones (although surely your connections aren't going to be very long anyway...)
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
If you're allowed a stopover (>24hrs) in Frankfurt (or Munich) for no charge, you might want to take that as it'll trim several hundred GBP off your fare.
How do you mean, trim several hundred GBPs off the fare? I tried booking a multi-segment trip with a stopover in FRA >24 hours, but that increased my fare by approx. GBP 1000..
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Amazed to hear you're getting such a good deal, what with the Lufthansa fuel surcharges and the UK air tax.

If you can get on Swiss, I believe they have lower fuel charges and they have a great playroom in Zurich, including a sleeping room for the youngest ones (although surely your connections aren't going to be very long anyway...)
Have you compared LH C (Z) fares ex-UK and ex-Germany? On random dates in June the former is about 70% of the latter despite the UK APD. The FRA-JNB segment will be on the same flight.

LHR-FRA-JNB 1,781
FRA-JNB €3,000 (approx. 2,536)

Flying on LX via ZRH on the same random dates is slightly cheaper ex-UK but it's even less ex-ZRH.

LHR-ZRH-JNB 1,730
ZRH-JNB CHF 5,167 (approx. 1,627) (approx. 3,300)

But I don't think it's worth buying a separate ticket for LHR-ZRH only.

How do you mean, trim several hundred GBPs off the fare? I tried booking a multi-segment trip with a stopover in FRA >24 hours, but that increased my fare by approx. GBP 1000..
Yes, I've also found Z fares ex-UK are very competitive compared with Business fares ex-Germany.

p.s. Thanks, LonLH for pointing out the conversion error. ZRH-JNB alone costs nearly twice as much as LHR-ZRH-JNB!

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm Reason: corrected ex-ZRH fare and added p.s.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Have you compared LH C (Z) fares ex-UK and ex-Germany? On random dates in June the former is about 70% of the latter despite the UK APD. The FRA-JNB segment will be on the same flight.

LHR-FRA-JNB 1,781
FRA-JNB €3,000 (approx. 2,536)

Flying on LX via ZRH on the same random dates is slightly cheaper ex-UK but it's even less ex-ZRH.

LHR-ZRH-JNB 1,730
ZRH-JNB CHF 5,167 (approx. 1,627)

But I don't think it's worth buying a separate ticket for LHR-ZRH only.

Yes, I've also found Z fares ex-UK are very competitive compared with Business fares ex-Germany.
May I ask were you found the LX and LH-fares?? I am travelling on 3 June, one way. If LX is cheaper, I may have to reconsider flying SAA which I had decidedto go for, rather than LH due to their lie flat seats..

Last edited by SAA340; Feb 12, 2011 at 4:51 am
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others

LHR-ZRH-JNB 1,730
ZRH-JNB CHF 5,167 (approx. 1,627)
I think you got the exchange rate wrong- CHF 5167 is around GBP 3300,
Old Feb 12, 2011, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by LonLH
I think you got the exchange rate wrong- CHF 5167 is around GBP 3300,
So I have!
Thanks for pointing it out. I must have clicked a wrong currency...
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:06 am

May I ask were you found the LX and LH-fares?? I am travelling on 3 June, one way. If LX is cheaper, I may have to reconsider flying SAA which I had decidedto go for, rather than LH due to their lie flat seats..
Sorry I seem to have picked a wrong currency on the conversion table. Please see the edited version of my post.

It really shows how much cheaper Business fares ex-UK are compared with fares out of hub airports such as FRA and ZRH.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Sorry I seem to have picked a wrong currency on the conversion table. Please see the edited version of my post.

It really shows how much cheaper Business fares ex-UK are compared with fares out of hub airports such as FRA and ZRH.
Hehe, not a problem. I tried searching every booking site I know of for that LX-fare but couldn`t find it.. Now I know why!

Do you know why the tickets are so much more expensive out of FRA or MUC?? Kinda weird, right?
I`m getting one-way fares ex.LHR for 1089 per pers. which is quite cheap, while you all know the prices ex.FRA and MUC..
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Hehe, not a problem. I tried searching every booking site I know of for that LX-fare but couldn`t find it.. Now I know why!

Do you know why the tickets are so much more expensive out of FRA or MUC?? Kinda weird, right?
I`m getting one-way fares ex.LHR for 1089 per pers. which is quite cheap, while you all know the prices ex.FRA and MUC..
Supply and demand- (and maybe stupidity of pax). You need to give inducements to people from LHR to take a detour to fly LH/LX rather than fly BA or SA who can take them direct, while ex-Germany the only direct options are LH and SA, both in the same camp.
I pay GBP 1000 odd for a LHR-DME-LHR flexible business ticket with BA or BD, would pay almost double for a DME-LHR-DME. I was told that business class customers ex-Russia don't care what they pay, so airlines milk travel originating in MOW (and I buy all my tickets originating in LON).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.