Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New stupidity at FRA limo transfer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by mamb0
OK, but the fact that there is no one doing the customs check makes the whole concept sound, well, stupid. Or at least funny.
Talking about a stupid (or funny) concept is something different to Fendant who talked about a stupid answer.

But agreed, there has never been a customs officer there, when I arrived from Switzerland. And I'm traveling a lot on that route.

However most often there are no such officers at other checkpoints as well (after passport control at upper A gates and B as well as after baggage claim). So I think the concept in general would be fine (and would work) if there would be enough officers available.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

If this is really a government originated "security or customs" regulation, why do I arrive in DUS, TXL, MUC directly in the Schengen terminal ( gate or apron ) but no so in FRAnkensteins Hell ????
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fendant
If this is really a government originated "security or customs" regulation, why do I arrive in DUS, TXL, MUC directly in the Schengen terminal ( gate or apron ) but no so in FRAnkensteins Hell ????
When arriving at a ZRH gate in DUS you will find a small red and green channel sign dlose to the exit door from the gate telling you to call customs if you have something to declare. You can be pretty certain that there is customs around in plain clothes at certain times and if you fail to call customs if you have something to declare (in particular money) you will have a problem.

Do not forget that it is not customs obligation to "find" you but it is your obligation to present yourself to customs if you have something to declare.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks Flying Lawyer, have never seen that.

When im am bussed from the apron we all climb the stairs directly into the terminal ( same when you arrive from DRS or LEJ ) and the DUS bound pax exit directly
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Yesterday we came into A 72 in DUS and walked directly into the terminal no custom channels
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
People flying from Switzerland are arriving from ourside the EU. Not every Schengen memberstate is a member of the EU (eg. Switzerland, Iceland and Norway) and not every member of the EU is a Schengen memberstate (eg. the UK and Ireland). Two completely different animals.
I know Icelandair arrives and leaves from the Schengen area of FRA. Is it because they are members of the European Economic Area that they avoid the customs that Swiss gets - as they are not members of EEA ???

In all honesty, this is bizarre especially if this distinction not applied consistently throughout Germany (shock !) or in other EU countries.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Braniff
I know Icelandair arrives and leaves from the Schengen area of FRA. Is it because they are members of the European Economic Area that they avoid the customs that Swiss gets - as they are not members of EEA ???
Like Switzerland and Norway, Iceland is in the Schengen free-travel zone although not in the EU.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:45 am

Arrived at FRA from ZRH Yesterday evening on an apron and was driven to B Schengen Ost, of course. Talked to my limo driver and she said, that Lufthansa is in talks to customs about this, in particular since B Schengen Ost probably never ever sees any officer. But customs is not willing to change the current rule. Their argument, pax from Switzerland must pass a customs control point that is either controlled by humans or that at least is properly labeled with a customs poster giving clear instructions about customs declaration. Pax who need to declare any goods are instructed to declare by phone...

I must admit I'm shocked they only have one phone over there. I'm convinced that all passengers that need to declare something standing in a line waiting patiently until they can start declaring their cigarettes or booze.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fendant
Yesterday we came into A 72 in DUS and walked directly into the terminal no custom channels
You have missed the litttle sign which is to be found at A72: If you have something to declare, contact customs. BTW: Yesterday, I had an obviously random custom's check when arriving from GVA and they were pretty much interested in my German born and German bought watch
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: LH FTL, PC Plat
In HAM flights from ZRH do arrive in the "normal" Schengen area, e.g., gate A39 - I do not remember any customs sign in the gate area or within the jet bridge.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
I'm flying ZRH-FRA-ORD on Wednesday 1st December - any advice?

(I'm in Business Class for both legs, the limo service is just for First Class, right?)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Motorskills
I'm flying ZRH-FRA-ORD on Wednesday 1st December - any advice?

(I'm in Business Class for both legs, the limo service is just for First Class, right?)
The service is for HON pax irrespectable of CoS - it is extended to F Pax if resources are available.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:47 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Like Switzerland and Norway, Iceland is in the Schengen free-travel zone although not in the EU.
My point was that Iceland (and Norway) are in the EEA - which Switzerland is not.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
This still doesn't make sense...

As written above by somebody, there are ZRH flights operating from/to gates A11-A42. Just look at today's arrivals (sequence of flights ZRH-FRA): there were four flights that docked at the terminal, respectively at gates A28, A32, A36 and A38. In other words: in the midst of other Schengen and domestic arrivals.

Do pax from these flights de-board the plane via the stairs, take a bus and get shipped to Schengen arrival B? No.

Thus, why the difference between flights arriving offshore and those docking at the terminal?

This reminds me of cultural differences in Europe:
  • The Italians don't even bother to regulate things
  • The French make lots of efforts to regulate things, but don't bother applying or enforcing the rules
  • The Swiss love making rules, but apply them with common sense
  • The Germans love making rules, and then switch off their brains to apply them even when they are absurd

(Exceptions prove the rule)
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by creber
As written above by somebody, there are ZRH flights operating from/to gates A11-A42. Just look at today's arrivals (sequence of flights ZRH-FRA): there were four flights that docked at the terminal, respectively at gates A28, A32, A36 and A38. In other words: in the midst of other Schengen and domestic arrivals.

Do pax from these flights de-board the plane via the stairs, take a bus and get shipped to Schengen arrival B? No.
Sorry to say, but the answer is Yes. Have been on such arrivals multiple times. Deboarding via stairs and transfer via bus (or limo/van in my case) to B Schengen Ost.

At least LH offers the limo/van service for HONs for those ZRH arrivals unlike for other "gate" arrivals, that still get bussed (e.g. BKK arrivals at A65 in the morning).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.