FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   New stupidity at FRA limo transfer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1142442-new-stupidity-fra-limo-transfer.html)

Fendant Oct 30, 2010 5:05 pm

New stupidity at FRA limo transfer

Normally flights from ZRH get into A terminal. Today we got an apron position and the van was waiting for 3 pax who all had connections leaving from A.

However the van dropped us off in B :mad: The driver said that this is a new regulation due to security for all flights from ZRH, BSL and GVA. You then have to track back into A through the tunnel des Grauens ( notabene without going through security again ??? ). When you have a short connex and your flight leaves from A 42 you are done.

Another example why FRAnkensteins hell should be avoided by all means:td:

NewbieRunner Oct 30, 2010 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Fendant (Post 15044293)

No, it has nothing to do with FRAnkensteins hell or security. I'm afraid the driver is misinformed.

AFAIK it's because Switzerland is now in Schengen but of course not in the EU. So pax arriving from Switzerland have to go through (non-existent or at least invisible) customs on arrival before connecting to another Schengen flight.

Flying Lawyer Oct 31, 2010 12:54 am

That makes sense. So this allows our customs to check all these Swiss smugglers. Good to know. However, the Swiss could easily solve this problem by joining the EU (what the for good domestic reasons do not do). Special status results in special treatment :D

mamb0 Oct 31, 2010 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 15045602)
That makes sense. So this allows our customs to check all these Swiss smugglers. Good to know. However, the Swiss could easily solve this problem by joining the EU (what the for good domestic reasons do not do). Special status results in special treatment :D

But how is it handled in MUC, where they drop me of at the G bus gates?

Is there a seamless, invisible customs check?

[Edit: Argh. Stupid me... There is a pretty visible customs control point when exiting the baggage hall...]

NewbieRunner Oct 31, 2010 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 15045602)
Special status results in special treatment :D

Like special treatment for arrivals from the UK which is deemed "clean" but not in Schengen. No further security check but pax still have to go through immigration to enter Schengen.

Works fine if connecting to non-Schengen but most of my arrivals are at an apron position followed by a bus/limo ride to the bowels of T1B. :td:

mamb0 Oct 31, 2010 4:11 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 15045812)
Like special treatment for arrivals from the UK which is deemed "clean" but not in Schengen. No further security check but pax still have to go through immigration to enter Schengen.

Works fine if connecting to non-Schengen but most of my arrivals are at an apron position followed by a bus/limo ride to the bowels of T1B. :td:

Go via MUC and we also could meet for a Wiener Schnitzel and a Bretz'n in the FCL.

SleepOverGreenland Oct 31, 2010 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Fendant (Post 15044293)
Normally flights from ZRH get into A terminal. Today we got an apron position and the van was waiting for 3 pax who all had connections leaving from A.

However the van dropped us off in B :mad: The driver said that this is a new regulation due to security for all flights from ZRH, BSL and GVA. You then have to track back into A through the tunnel des Grauens ( notabene without going through security again ??? ). When you have a short connex and your flight leaves from A 42 you are done.

I've reported this already multiple times. ;)

This has been introduced a couple month ago and as others said it has nothing to do at all with security. It's simply the customs reason.

Of course the customs checkpoint at B Ost bus arrival is always empty. :rolleyes:

NewbieRunner Oct 31, 2010 4:26 am

Originally Posted by mamb0 (Post 15045943)
Go via MUC and we also could meet for a Wiener Schnitzel and a Bretz'n in the FCL.

MUC is also apron arrival but at least there's a lift which takes you straight up to Level H. I'll try and fly to FRA via MUC in future. ;)

mamb0 Oct 31, 2010 4:43 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 15045975)
MUC is also apron arrival but at least there's a lift which takes you straight up to Level H. I'll try and fly to FRA via MUC in future. ;)

Well as a HON you are being driven straight to the FCL, no?

NewbieRunner Oct 31, 2010 5:00 am

Originally Posted by mamb0 (Post 15046017)
Well as a HON you are being driven straight to the FCL, no?

On a golf buggy? ;)

The best they can offer is a little door marked "First Class" on the tarmac level with a lift up to Level H. The driver accompanies me in the lift to make sure I don't get off on Level G. :D

Rambuster Oct 31, 2010 5:02 am

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland (Post 15045955)
I've reported this already multiple times. ;)

This has been introduced a couple month ago and as others said it has nothing to do at all with security. It's simply the customs reason.

Of course the customs checkpoint at B Ost bus arrival is always empty. :rolleyes:

If you are really unlucky the BGS and Zoll guys request that pax are bused to the C arrivals so they have more time to go through everyones stuff.
It seems to happen a lot for Moscow apron arrivals.

An FCT driver recently told me that this always gets bloodpressure to boiling point when HONs are picked up but driven to C. :o

ThorstenCGN Oct 31, 2010 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 15046082)
If you are really unlucky the BGS and Zoll guys request that pax are bused to the C arrivals so they have more time to go through everyones stuff.
It seems to happen a lot for Moscow apron arrivals.

An FCT driver recently told me that this always gets bloodpressure to boiling point when HONs are picked up but driven to C. :o

There is a simple solution for this problem, that we also advise to our customers since the government stole Yukos´ assets from its shareholders and what they did with Mr Chodorkowski: "Do not do any business with Russia."

mamb0 Oct 31, 2010 5:50 am

Originally Posted by ThorstenCGN (Post 15046163)
There is a simple solution for this problem, that we also advise to our customers since the government stole Yukos´ assets from its shareholders and what they did with Mr Chodorkowski: "Do not do any business with Russia."

Wasn't that France?

San Gottardo Oct 31, 2010 8:33 am

Originally Posted by mamb0 (Post 15045785)
[There is a pretty visible customs control point when exiting the baggage hall...]

... which you don't pass when you merely change flights.

Thus: why the different treatment in MUC and FRA?

Flying Lawyer Oct 31, 2010 8:55 am

Originally Posted by creber (Post 15046777)
... which you don't pass when you merely change flights.

Thus: why the different treatment in MUC and FRA?

Don't know about those airports, however, in DUS you will find a small green and red channel (simply the sign, not more) at the gate with the hint "if you have something to declare call customs".