Wiki Posts
Search

The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Translate can't even handle 'o tempora, o mores'
Funny, when I think about what has happened to the Miles&More program in the last few years it seems as if the responsible office must have had Carmina Burana on high volume to encourage them in their work.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Funny, when I think about what has happened to the Miles&More program in the last few years it seems as if the responsible office must have had Carmina Burana on high volume to encourage them in their work.
As long as it's not Carmina Burina that's fine with me !
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Do you mean a specific part or the whole thing? I can't imagine it being O Fortuna!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
Do you mean a specific part or the whole thing? I can't imagine it being O Fortuna!
The whole thing- perfect soundtrack to enhance with.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Assuming weeros signature refers to Cicero, google translate make a complete mess of it.
By assuming right, you gave it away and killed your post #273 @:-) !. My 25% is a lot closer on target than your 99.9% I bet !

Plus you don't translate Latin proverbs - they make no sense in Latin either - you just google or Yahoo them as a whole.

We have a few colleagues who think they are super funny when they break out in Latin quotes during meetings to underline a situation. They are not...
While I don't know your colleagues .. the Latin quote distortions on this board are undoubtedly funny.

Public perception of Latin - especially in Germany - is simply flat out wrong. Hence the insight that Latin went extinct for good reason came very late to me, as I was brought up in the false religion that Latin was this logical structured utopian original of all "good languages". It isn't. Latin is inaccurate, extremely poor in algorithmic descriptions, inflexible to the extreme, synthetic instead of analytic and hence not quantitative ... in brief it is of no use in a modern world outside of law school.
So Latin is predominantly two things: 1) pretty and 2) funny.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by weero
My 25% is a lot closer on target than your 99.9% I bet ![..]
Public perception of Latin - especially in Germany - is simply flat out wrong. Hence the insight that Latin went extinct for good reason came very late to me, as I was brought up in the false religion that Latin was this logical structured utopian original of all "good languages". It isn't.
+1. As someone who only spoke German till age 6 (father immigrant who was made fun of in the 70s for stammering and not speaking German well so he made double sure I spoke it well) and was then thrown into learning Bengali and English in India, I somehow have acquired a skill to understand what people are talking about. Case in point: wife is finnish, MIL only speaks Swedish and Finnish, and I can manage

Them Germans are nuts: in the upper-bavarian town I spent 6 years of my life in the early 2000s they have a Gymnasium where they only teach German, Latin and French as Languages!!! 3x
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Talking

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
99.9% of us don't get it, BTW.
+1. I wonder if weero, by any chance, is a philosophy professor as I can't get most of what he writes in this forum
99.9%
+1
=100.9%
Perhaps your Latin is as good as your math?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:36 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
First LH flight from the new LHR T2 ... cancelled

Don't panic. The photo courtesy of 0hnoes taken during the LHR T2 trial today. Here are some LH operations managers observing the proceedings.

More photos may be found in "trip reports" by yellow_peril and 0hnoes.

LHR T2 is due to open on 4 June 2014 with LH family of airlines moving there later in the year.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
... in brief it is of no use in a modern world outside of law school.
Well, I'm not sure about that. The English language is full of Latin words and expressions that have nothing to do with jurisprudence (or the medical professions).
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Well, I'm not sure about that. The English language is full of Latin words and expressions that have nothing to do with jurisprudence (or the medical professions).
Well that s part of my creepy point - Latin nouns have survived into modern times for their sheer onomatopoetic beauty. I'd always use the Latin term over the Celtic one if I knew one. But Latin itself has no respect for its nouns ... it's only obsessing about its unclear and blurry verbs. I never understood why they got stuck there. Having this set of precise and accurate prepositions and terms and then not using it .
And which other language has such a shortage of meaningful adjectives?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Weero is far too smart for me: he has told me at least a dozen times what he does for a living but I still have no idea!
I guess I will just have to live with it or blame it on ignorance.
First of all I fly coach all the time and 2nd I am stuck in this forsaken place. So I'd hardly call my choices and decisions smart in any meaningful way. Nerdy perhaps but not smart.

And the 2nd has to do with the bizarre niches academics get pressed into over time. We obsess over smaller and smaller fields in order to ease the murderous competition not because it is meaningful.
But was too dumb to see that when I was young.

Sic transit gloria mundi i.e....
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
The English language is full of Latin words and expressions that have nothing to do with jurisprudence (or the medical professions).

The English language is full of germanic words. Does nothing to make German either 1) pretty or 2) funny.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The English language is full of germanic words. Does nothing to make German either 1) pretty or 2) funny.
Millions of Brit comedians will tend to disagree.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
As well as the occasional American author:
http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/awfgrmlg.html
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
OK but I reckon they'd all join me in challenging you on the prettiness of German!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.