Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

The definitive LH First experience thread [including how to maximize it]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The definitive LH First experience thread [including how to maximize it]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: None anymore
I have a 7 hr 40 min connection in FRA end of August - found a wonderfully cheap paid F ticket back to ICN. I'm definitely planning on renting the Porsche once I get there.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by warrenw
I have a 7 hr 40 min connection in FRA end of August - found a wonderfully cheap paid F ticket back to ICN. I'm definitely planning on renting the Porsche once I get there.
The Porsche deal can be fun, just try to avoid certain times on certain days of the week, when the Autobahn around FRA gets terribly busy.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by worldclubber
The Porsche deal can be fun, just try to avoid certain times on certain days of the week, when the Autobahn around FRA gets terribly busy.
I fly in on a Monday at 10AM ish, I figure it will take at least 45 minutes to get in the bar by the time I land - so driving around noon? How bad is that on a Monday?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:24 pm

What would the maximizing crowd here do:

HKG-FRA
(12h layover in FRA)
FRA-ORD on the afternoon flight
(2h layover in ORD to final destination)

or:

HKG-FRA
(5h layover in FRA)
FRA-IAH
(5h layover in IAH to final destination.

Going through IAH gets me the A380 on both segments, and FRA-IAH is longer meaning more time in the air. However, less time in the FCL/FCT, and a longer layover in IAH, as well as longer domestic segment

Going through ORD gets me the 74H on a shorter flight, but more time in the FCL/FCT (more time to sample the food and whiskies), and a less agonizing segment home with a shorter layover in ORD and shorter segment back home.

What would you choose?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:38 pm

I had the limo transfer service from FCL B recently in a Porsche SUV (woo!!!) But a friend who traveled the next week said he was driven in a Mercedes Mini-van.

We were both on award tickets, but I'm *G. Could this be why he didn't have the Porsche? Or ... do they use both vehicles for the transfer, and you get to ride whichever is next?

Definitely a #firstworldproblem , but just curious.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:39 pm

Much as I like the FC experience, 12hrs is overkill (IMO)

Originally Posted by tng11

HKG-FRA
(12h layover in FRA)

or:

HKG-FRA
(5h layover in FRA)
FRA-IAH

Going through IAH gets me the A380 on both segments, and FRA-IAH is longer meaning more time in the air. However, less time in the FCL/FCT, and a longer layover in IAH, as well as longer domestic segment

Going through ORD gets me the 74H on a shorter flight, but more time in the FCL/FCT (more time to sample the food and whiskies), and a less agonizing segment home with a shorter layover in ORD and shorter segment back home.

What would you choose?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:13 pm

HKG-FRA
(12h layover in FRA)

or:

HKG-FRA
(5h layover in FRA)
FRA-IAH

What would you choose?
If I were a first time F flyer, I would choose option one, take a Porsche for a spin, enjoy two different aircraft and have a bath as well as a nap at the FCT. Enjoy!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by malgudi
I had the limo transfer service from FCL B recently in a Porsche SUV (woo!!!) But a friend who traveled the next week said he was driven in a Mercedes Mini-van.

We were both on award tickets, but I'm *G. Could this be why he didn't have the Porsche? Or ... do they use both vehicles for the transfer, and you get to ride whichever is next?

Definitely a #firstworldproblem , but just curious.
They have minivans, Porsches and Mercedes S-class, assigned according to a number of factors but not your *G status. Minivans will be used if there are more than 3 pax, but also for single pax.

That said, driving around FRA at 20 km/h in the Porsche is about as exciting as sitting in one in the dealer's showroom...
1flyer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by MichielR
They have minivans, Porsches and Mercedes S-class, assigned according to a number of factors but not your *G status. Minivans will be used if there are more than 3 pax, but also for single pax.

That said, driving around FRA at 20 km/h in the Porsche is about as exciting as sitting in one in the dealer's showroom...
Even worse. I always feel sorry for the poor Porsches that never make it beyond 30km/h.

If one is honest, the seats and the view are better in the much-dreaded minivans...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:57 am

What are these factors?

Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC

HKG-FRA
(12h layover in FRA)

or:

HKG-FRA
(5h layover in FRA)
FRA-IAH

What would you choose?
These are the factors I wold use when choosing:
1) 12 hours in FRA is a little excessive, but at least it will be in comfort and you have plenty of time to rent the Porsche at your leisure
2) 5 hours in IAH is going to feel like hell. If you are *G you'd likely have access to the UC which will feel like a third world country after the FCT/FCL. If you're not *G I think you're left out in the cold. Either way, all you're going to want is for it to be over so you can take your flight home
3) ORD gets you a shorter time either waiting in the terminal or in a UC, and a shorter final connection. The only concern is whether 2 hours gives you enough time to clear customs/immigration, collect and recheck luggage, take the train over to T1, and then reclear security. Carry on only, GE, and PreCheck will help all of those things, but I don't know if you have them.

Assuming you think 2 hours is enough in ORD, I would definitely go for the ORD option. You'll get your fill of the 380 coming from HKG and you'll get to experience the 748 as well. If you're like me after my last long connect thru FRA, you'll pass out on the second plane anyways (driving a Porshe at 250kph really takes it out of you )
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT

HKG-FRA
(12h layover in FRA)

or:

HKG-FRA
(5h layover in FRA)
FRA-IAH

What would you choose?
I did HKG-FRA-ORD many times in F. IMHO By the time I get to ORD I always feel I have enough experience of flying LH F class @:-)
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:30 am

Thanks all! I ended up choosing the ORD option. I've done LH F many times before, but the shorter ORD connection and connecting flight home won out over the slightly longer IAH flight. And with the later flight, I can also have the lunch/dinner menu at the FCT (love the Iberico ham at the buffet and the schnitzel), take a Porsche for a spin and also meet a friend in Frankfurt for lunch.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:04 am
Koc

It is a longer walk in most cases to B (not so if you have to go to Z69...). But you will be driven to the plane in Z, so while there is no maximizing there is a bit of the F glamour in this way.

Even with 80 minutes, it could be like this: T-75 arrive A, walk through tunnel and go through passport control, T-60 get to FCL B, have a light meal and a drink at FCL B, T-20 depart for plane by car.

If you are departing from Z50 for example, then the FCL A would make more sense indeed.

And if you have an apron arrival ask to be driven to B, the driver will know why!
Following your advice I think we maxed out what there is to max out of a 80 minutes connection; T-80 landed on Northwest and taxi all the way to B-pier for apron parking and limo pick-up. T-60 arrived FCL B, had a glass of rosé and some light snacks before car pick-up to Z-pier and aircraft at T-30. To sum up our 80 minutes:
2x limo pick-ups
2x rosés
2x rubber ducks

Again, thank you very much for all your help^
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
My flight arrives form EWR to Frankfurt @ 7:30 am and departs 1:30 pm ish continue to Del on A380. What to do for 5.4 hr layover? am I cutting it short for the frankfurt city tour which leaves at 9:30 am for 2 hr tour, will I have enough time to get back an pass through security to see the tour? Or just shower up and pass time in the lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.