The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by AirlineDeregulation
The Sheraton is my top pick at LAX. It's usually pretty cheap, it's close, and I like the Shula's 347 Steakhouse.
Shula's 347 has been closed and is now Paparazzi. Still the Sheraton is a great hotel in terms of the usual airport drearyness.

Originally Posted by Bowgie
In fact, with a light roller-board and a cool sunny day, it would be quite feasible to walk a few blocks from the Crown Plaza, for example, on Century Blvd to the Southwest Terminal -- if you are the type of person who enjoys walking (along a exhaust fume-choked busy highway).
The Crown Plaza is actually 2 blocks further than you say. Even the Sheraton is closer.

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
As noted in post #18, LAX requires hotels to share shuttles, in order to (try to) reduce vehicle congesion. Some shuttles serve two hotels, some serve three. For example, the Radisson shuttle also serves the Crowne Plaza.
As much as I love the idea of saving congestion and pollution, the company that got the contract for these hotel shuttles must be making a ton of money off their scam. Just the other night I waited 30 mins for a shuttle that serves Sheraton, Embassy Suites & Courtyard. Meanwhile other hotels shuttles came by 3x during my wait. I have this experience monthly.

If the OP really wants to walk, it's the Rashdisson or Courtyard. Sadly LAX has nothing like DTW, ORD or MCO.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mmargel
Thank you.

Then to further refine my question:

I will be arriving about 11:30 pm. One hotel I called said "we run every 15-20 minutes, so just wait for our shuttle." My luck I just miss the shuttle and 15-20 minutes turns into 30. After traveling for 18 hours I would prefer to minimize my wait time.
If timing is such an important issue, why not take a cab? Cab driver might not like such a short trip but they'll get back to the airport for another fare quickly.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
As much as I love the idea of saving congestion and pollution, the company that got the contract for these hotel shuttles must be making a ton of money off their scam. Just the other night I waited 30 mins for a shuttle that serves Sheraton, Embassy Suites & Courtyard. Meanwhile other hotels shuttles came by 3x during my wait. I have this experience monthly.
So true. I really like the Sheraton. The problem is when going back to the airport the shuttle first goes to Courtyard and then to Embassy Suites before the airport. Couple of times when running late I have just taken a taxi.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I usually stay at the Hilton. Nice hotel and a quick ride to LAX.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
Do you have status at any of the hotel chains? I would recommend you stay at your preferred chain.

I'll throw in a plug for the LAX Marriott, they even have a departure board in the lobby so you can see flight departures (not that you need it w/ the Internet nowadays, but it's still a neat feature).
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL NWA UA
I'm like you. Once I'm off the plane I personally try to get to the hotel as soon as possible. It's a sort of race inside my head.

I would get a priceline hotel for LAX area, aim for 4 stars, you'll end up right on the strip at a low price (I paid 60 bucks for the Crowne Plaza a few months back). Take the savings and spend it on a $10 cab to the hotel.

I'm like the other poster. Regardless of what rental car chain or hotel I'm with, it always seems like all the other brands have lots of shuttles and mine has hardly any....
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by ADLFO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I've stayed at the Hilton and the Hampton. Both acceptable, both have frequent shuttles to LAX. The Hilton is a shorter shuttle ride, only 5 mins. or so. Just make sure of the shuttle departure times.
I've stayed at most of the LAX hotels and was going to suggest the Hilton. I can often get the Hilton on Hotwire.

The LAX Westin @ 5400 West Century Boulevard is also a good choice. I've snagged this on Priceline several times.

Another one I like is the Marriott Renaissance: 9620 Airport Boulevard. Have been lucky at getting good rates here via Marriott's website.

I would suggest using Hotwire or Priceline to save some money on an LAX Hotel room. You'll end up at a large, brand-name hotel; they all run frequent shuttle services.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Plat
I stay at the Ren and Marriott. I prefer the Renaissance though. Great Club Level lounge!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
Thank you one and all. I appreciate all of the suggestions and the time you took to respond. ^^^
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:19 pm
AMA

Been a while, but if it's the same, watch it with the Westin. Got a Priceline room there once and was placed in a room on the back side of the hotel. RIGHT outside there was a dawg kennel, with LOTS of noise ALL night long. Even with curtains closed, pillow over my head, could still hear it.

Verify if this is still the case. Request non-noisy side of hotel. Better yet, stay somewhere else.

Other than that, the Westin is a decent hotel
Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:09 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by AirlineDeregulation
The Sheraton is my top pick at LAX. It's usually pretty cheap, it's close, and I like the Shula's 347 Steakhouse.
Sorry to Disappoint Shula's is gone and now operates as an upscale Italian.

http://www.sheratonlax.com/Paparazzi

I was quite impressed when I dined there recently.^
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:39 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
If you don't require frills, just reliable transportation to the hotel and a room for the night, I recommend the Hacienda. It's further away than the hotels previously mentioned, but the shuttles run constantly, one after another. The hotel has lots of rooms, and they are small, but good transport and low rates make it a favorite of airline crews who commute in and need a crashpad, forgein crews, and tour groups. One word: despite the size, it often sells out. You'll want to have an advance reservation with this one.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AMA
Been a while, but if it's the same, watch it with the Westin. Got a Priceline room there once and was placed in a room on the back side of the hotel. RIGHT outside there was a dawg kennel, with LOTS of noise ALL night long. Even with curtains closed, pillow over my head, could still hear it.

Verify if this is still the case. Request non-noisy side of hotel. Better yet, stay somewhere else.

Other than that, the Westin is a decent hotel
Ha ha, forgot about the dog kennel. You are right, it's still there. I remember my first time there, in the exec lounge on the 12th floor and hearing dogs. I thought they were in the hotel until someone pointed out the kennel below.

Fortunately I didn't have a room on that side but knowing what I know, I will take the 12th floor anywhere but that side.

Other than that, it's decent. Last there a few weeks ago where they were preparing to open a new grill restaurant, much needed bec the only restaurant there is both pricey and slow during meal hours. But the bar is excellent.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: United, Delta, QF
LAX hotels

Hi, I have a 24 hour layover in LA (coming from NYC on my way to Mel). I arrive into L.A. around 10pm, and leave the following night at 11:20pm on QF93. Any tips on airport hotels, especially ones that will allow a good rate for a late checkout? I saw a post a while ago about Four Points offering a "24 hour" reservation (you pay one rate for 24 hours, no matter what time you check in) but when I called Four Points, they didn't know anything about it anymore. I just need a clean, decent place to sleep, although a pool would be nice. Thank you!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:26 am

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Just get 2 nights via Priceline. Would still work out cheaper than direct hotel deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.