FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/695093-lax-airport-hotel-questions-suggestions-consolidated-thread.html)

andrewp Nov 8, 04 10:12 pm

The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread

On 2/15 my wife and I have an 11:30 AM flight to NRT from LAX. In order to avoid any "issues" with HP messing up a connection we've decided to fly in the night before.

In most situations we would be content taking a room at an airport hotel, but this stopover will take place on Valentine's day... so we would like to do something special (as if 18 days in Asia won't be special enough...)

Aside from the RC in Marina Del Rey what luxury hotels are available with easy and fast access to LAX at 9ish in the AM on a Wednesday? I've stayed at the St. Regis and like it, but I've seen the 405 South during rush hour and would prefer to avoid the frustration.

Thanks for any advice!

obscure2k Nov 8, 04 10:20 pm

RC would still be the most convenient and most luxurious of all of the so-called airport hotels and you would definitely avoid the 405. Want romance/combined with rush-hour, call the Hotel Bel-Air.

andrewp Nov 9, 04 9:27 am

I really need to proof-read my titles....

Should have read: Luxury hotel with easy access to LAX for rush hour transfer

Non-NonRev Nov 9, 04 10:06 am

To obscure2K and other Angelenos - would taking surface roads from the St.Regis (Pico Blvd. to Lincoln Blvd., direct to the airport) be an option, or is it as bad as the freeways during rush hour?

FlyinHawaiian Nov 9, 04 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
To obscure2K and other Angelenos - would taking surface roads from the St.Regis (Pico Blvd. to Lincoln Blvd., direct to the airport) be an option, or is it as bad as the freeways during rush hour?

Lincoln can be just a horrible drive during rush hour - easily an hour or more from Santa Monica to LAX at its worst.

CalItalian Nov 13, 04 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

The St. Regis is closing on 1/22 forever (see Starwood forum thread).

Shutters by the Beach or Loews Santa Monica would be two other options. They are an easy drive down Lincoln Blvd. to LAX.

SkiAdcock Nov 18, 04 10:46 am

RC in MdelR still best bet for luxury close to LAX.

If you do the Santa Monica hotels on Ocean Ave, you can take Pacific (Ocean turns into Pacific?) south rather than Lincoln all the way to the Marina & then cut over to Lincoln to continue to LAX. In either case, whether you do Lincoln or Pacific, I think you'll be dealing w/ 'reverse' commute, so won't be horrendous. 30-35-40 min.

If you decide to do the Bev Hills thing, there are surface street ways to get to LAX from 4Seasons, Reg Bev Wilsh, etc. During rush hour figure 45 minutes to LAX. And again, even if you did the freeway you'll probably be doing reverse commute.

Cheers. Sharon

mizzou65201 Nov 18, 04 10:28 pm

Best way from Santa Monica beach hotels to LAX, IMO:

*SOUTH on Ocean Avenue (changes name to Neilson Way, then to Pacific Ave at the Santa Monica-Los Angeles city border)
*EAST/SOUTHEAST on Brooks Avenue (becomes Abbot Kinney Blvd after 1 block)
*EAST on Washington
*SOUTH on Lincoln

Will be a slightly longer drive but nothing to worry about, especially if you find a better deal at one of the SM hotels.

sumo1222 Nov 22, 04 5:00 pm

I actually posted a question on another forum asking about hotels in LA around Xmas. Not all that familiar with the area, but any information on the LUXE Bel Aire on W Sunset off the 405?

Non-NonRev Nov 22, 04 7:54 pm

The Bel-Air is very much a luxury property. it is on Stone Canyon Road, a short distance north of Sunset Blvd itself (you enter through the Bel Air gates on the north side of Sunset, very near the UCLA campus). Nancy Reagan's home is very near the hotel property.

The property is beautiful (especially the gardens). I stayed there a few times in the lae 70s and 80s, before the current ownership (Rosewood) took over, so I can't speak to the current state of the rooms.

SkiAdcock Nov 23, 04 7:59 pm

LUXE Bel-Air is on Sunset just west of the 405 on the north side of the street.

Think the poster above me is referring to Hotel Bel-Air, which is on Stone Canyon Road & where Nancy Reagan frequently goes for lunch.

I've heard good things about Luxe, but it's been a while & I've not stayed there.

Cheers. Sharon

mizzou65201 Nov 9, 05 11:41 pm

LAX Furama Hotel is closed

I noticed last week that the red FURAMA HOTEL sign atop the building wasn't coming on at night anymore. Now the whole place is fenced in and there's a for sale sign out front.

I heard this place referred to once on this board as "ghastly"...I've never been inside even though I can see it from my house.

Heads up if you have a reservation here.

Hopefully someone will turn the property around...it's actually a much nicer location than the Century Blvd. corridor, IMO.

windwalker Nov 9, 05 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
Hopefully someone will turn the property around...it's actually a much nicer location than the Century Blvd. corridor, IMO.

Stayed there one on like a $27 PL bid. We were pretty impressed for the price

CalItalian Nov 10, 05 12:03 am

Actually there is a "For Lease" sign outside, not "For Sale". It has been closed for almost a month. The Geralds Hardware store in the same complex closed a couple of months ago. The website for the Furama remains up as does Restaurant.com's selling of Marina Cafe (inside the Furama) restaurant certificates (even though it's closed).

gooseman13 Nov 10, 05 12:04 am

Originally Posted by windwalker
Stayed there one on like a $27 PL bid. We were pretty impressed for the price

Yeah, I had a similar priceline deal, then read some of the horrible reviews. I was actually scared going in, but the hotel turned out to be quite fine, especially for the money. Maybe just luck of the draw.