FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/554820-consolidated-what-do-layover-lax-thread.html)

babblm May 4, 2006 11:47 am

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Have an overnight lay over at LAX on 5/15. Does the airport close? Is there anything to do late night or early morning nearby?

CMCFlyer May 4, 2006 1:36 pm

LAX has to be one of the more unpleasant airports in which to spend the night. If at all possible, try to get a hotel that runs a shuttle to the terminals. If not, I remember a few threads from long ago that discussed particular options for sleep, but I believe they were all very noisy. If you are feeling adventurous, I recall one poster saying that if you find a bench or a ledge in the center island between the terminals - that that is your best option.

Non-NonRev May 5, 2006 10:31 am

You can often obtain a 2.5* LAX hotel (often the Courtyard Marriott) on Priceline for about USD 40 plus tax/fee (total about USD 50). Free shuttle is included.

kef0913 May 8, 2006 2:48 pm

@:-) There's always the strip clubs on Century. That'll keep you until about 2 am. :p :D :eek: :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I would go with the PL 2.5* option, personally. Nothing much to do late at night in the area and sleeping at LAX is an iffy proposition.

wayan May 14, 2006 8:51 pm

4 Hour LAX Layover - Need a diversion

I have ~4 hour layovers at LAX on both legs of my IAD-TPE-IAD flights in early June, and as I am quick with my check-in (I've only once missed a train) and I'm not a fan of airport food courts, (street food is more my style), where can I go for a dinner or drink on a Thursday evening and Sunday afternoon?

Could I make it to Manhattan Beach or Del Ray? Maybe even surf a set? Are return taxis to LAX hard to get from either? Or is there a decent sky bar at one of the nearby hotels?

The thought of spending 4 hours in LAX (or any airport) depresses me more than a a dolphin in a swimming pool.

cblaisd May 14, 2006 9:16 pm

You can drink anywhere :D

I'd go -- twice! -- to In-N-Out Burger

number_6 May 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Another alternative is the restaurant/bar in the spider (former control tower building, now in the middle of the airport garages). Excellent food (best of any of the LAX area hotels) and cool decor, plus the same view of the airport as the traffic controllers used to have. http://www.encounterlax.com/

wayan May 15, 2006 7:23 am

Thanks for the lead on Encounter LAX, that looks pretty cool, but I was hoping to actualy get out of the terminal.

Just looking at the sunny photo of the old control tower makes me think about a Corona beachside (or at least poolside), not yet another hour in stale A/C air.

rqd May 15, 2006 7:32 am

If you are really set on leaving the airport, try the Ritz-Carlton at Marina del Rey. About 10 minutes away.

number_6 May 15, 2006 10:35 am

Originally Posted by wayan
Just looking at the sunny photo of the old control tower makes me think about a Corona beachside (or at least poolside), not yet another hour in stale A/C air.

The closest beachside is Venice or Manhattan Beach which is about USD 30 round-trip by taxi (Marina del Ray is nice but not really ocean) ... 4 hours is an awkward amount of time for leaving the airport (depends on when your plane departs, but I'm guessing 10pm-midnight ... once it took me almost an hour to get into LAX due to unbelievable traffic jams at the entrance, normally it takes 5 minutes, and it does get pretty crowded for an hour or 2 late at night ... pretty empty mid-afternoon until late, so no traffic when you leave the airport). Presumably you are already checked in for the TPE flight which does help tremendously.

pgtravel May 15, 2006 11:05 am

Actually, Dockweiler is the closest beach, just west of LAX. You'll see the planes flying over your head, and there's not much to do there off the beach, but there's a lot of sand and surf, so you could stop by for a quick set if you wanted to.

BTW, the spider isn't the old control tower. The old control tower is further to the east and it's now an airport office building. AFAIK, the spider, or really the "Theme Building," was always a restaurant/bar with an observation deck up top that is now closed.

SkiAdcock May 15, 2006 1:22 pm

Granted I'm biased living in Manhattan Beach, but I'd just catch a cab there or take the hotel shuttle to one of the Century Blvd hotels & then catch the free "Ocean Express" (but that eats up time), as downtown MB's got bars, restaurant, shops, pier, etc. If you head up Marina del Rey you can have a drink at Cafe del Rey (just down the street from the Ritz) which overlooks the marina as well.

I've got a private cab driver I use that if you gave him your flight arrival time (ie, set up an appt/pick-up time) & then called him when you landed he'll pick you up (he's in a private car so doesn't have to go through the taxi queue). You can also arrange for him to take you back at a certain time as well. PM me if you want his info. Cheers.

rar indeed May 16, 2006 11:22 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Granted I'm biased living in Manhattan Beach, but I'd just catch a cab there or take the hotel shuttle to one of the Century Blvd hotels & then catch the free "Ocean Express" (but that eats up time), as downtown MB's got bars, restaurant, shops, pier, etc.

I second going to Manhattan Beach. ^

wayan May 22, 2006 7:45 am

Manhattan Beach & Marina del Ray it is then. I'll hit one on the way out, one on the way back & let ya'll know what mischief I get into.

Thanks!

SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime May 22, 2006 1:25 pm

I'll second Marina del Rey and Cafe del Rey. With a bit of extra time, continue a bit north to Venice and Venice Beach.

But as one poster put it, 4 hours is a bit awkward. Figure one hour to clear customs and immigration and one hour to get through security and make yourself available at the gate, 20 minutes each direction to MDR or MB, and you don't really have much time once there.

On the other hand you could just repair down to the Wild Goose :D (Do a search!)