FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/554820-consolidated-what-do-layover-lax-thread.html)

skywalkerLAX Jan 13, 2007 10:58 am

LAX Hotel

I forgot,

you might get a cheap rate when booking the airport hotel via a german tour operator. Usually in the range 60-80 EUR for the good hotels.

Of course you dont earn miles and points then but that depends on your preferences !

flysurfer Jan 13, 2007 11:02 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 7009387)
I forgot,

you might get a cheap rate when booking the airport hotel via a german tour operator. Usually in the range 60-80 EUR for the good hotels.

Yep, that's definitely how we used to book the Crowne Plaza.
With hotel vouchers and all. :D

Non-NonRev Jan 13, 2007 11:14 am

Also keep in mind the Courtyard by Marriott, literally next door to the Raddison. Large rooms and free highspeed internet access.

Both the Courtyard and the Raddison (the two hotels physically closest to the LAX entrance) can often be obtained on Priceline, if non-cancellable arrangements work for you.

skywalkerLAX Jan 13, 2007 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 7009481)
Also keep in mind the Courtyard by Marriott, literally next door to the Raddison. Large rooms and free highspeed internet access.

Both the Courtyard and the Raddison (the two hotels physically closest to the LAX entrance) can often be obtained on Priceline, if non-cancellable arrangements work for you.

Wireless or plug-in internet ?

Non-NonRev Jan 13, 2007 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 7011022)
Wireless or plug-in internet ?

Wired in the rooms (they provide a short Cat-5 cable in the room).

IIRC they also have wireless in the lobby, as many CYs do.

brendamc Jan 14, 2007 10:01 am

We like the Sheraton (not the Four Points, the regular one) - very cool pool, fun bar, nice workout room, Schula's steakhouse, reasonable rates.

Flyloha Jan 15, 2007 10:50 am

There is also an Embassy Suites on Imperial Highway which is on the backside of the airport.

Rocket2511 Jan 21, 2007 3:10 am

Thanks a lot for all your help. Finally got a stay @ The Westin for just $70 a night.

edwin_p_morales Jan 21, 2007 7:49 am

The encounter bar at the airport can be a silly but fun way to kill a few hours. You can't miss it, it's the jetsons bar between all the terminals.

ContinentalFan Jan 21, 2007 10:14 am

Originally Posted by reinmedia (Post 7020989)
There is also an Embassy Suites on Imperial Highway which is on the backside of the airport.

I like the Embassy Suites too. If ever I have two trips back-to-back, I usually stay in the Hilton (never a problem there) or the Embassy Suites.

IceTrojan Jan 21, 2007 11:33 am

I'd go against the grain and suggest you have yourself an all-night binge and stripper fest (all near LAX), so that you'll be able to sleep on your next flight. :)

peter11 Jan 21, 2007 11:54 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 7063102)
I'd go against the grain and suggest you have yourself an all-night binge and stripper fest (all near LAX), so that you'll be able to sleep on your next flight. :)

Ha ha.....well, UA, even in F, is a HUGE step down from NZ in C. So you'd have to be pretty dang tired to actually sleep in the F seat! You either need to be dead tired for that flight (with an all night binge), or well rested (in an heavenly bed), to be comfortable!:D

simongr Jan 31, 2007 9:27 pm

7 1/2 Hours in LAX - What is practical to do as a tourist

Hi all
I spent an hour or so on various searches for suggestions of what to do for X hours in LA ona longish transit. I couldnt find anything that was quite the same as my situation or wasnt a 14 month+ old thread.

I am flying into LAX from HKG (previously from SYD-HKG on the same day - so about 22 hours of flying before arriving into LAX - thankfully all in J) on CX 882 arriving 13:50 on a Saturday into I think TBIT (dear god why do I have to suffer that). I fly on to MIA-MCO on AA 234 in F at 21:25 from T4.

That gives me I believe about 7 1/2 hours from ETA to ETD - so take off say 2 1/2 hours for inbound immigration and outbound TSA I have 5 hours to kill.

Options are to head straight to the AC (I am QF Gold and AA Plat) and have a snooze - but that might get tedious (having been flying for 20 hours already I might have run out of stuff to watch on the laptop by then :() so I could head into LA.

I am not overly ambitious so a relaxing trip to one place (not a beach person either as I live in SYD so beaches are a done thing) or group of places that are close together. I am not keen to drive because having been on planes for a while and having a few drinks on the plane I will be both tired and potentially I might have a drop of alcohol in my system and want to be a responsible driver - I also havent driven in the US and driving after that amount of flying for the first time is a little off putting.

ANy help would be appreciated.

My baggage should be checked through and I will have a small bag for hand luggage that will just have my laptop in.

Here's hoping for something fun :)

Cheers

S

bmxaggie Jan 31, 2007 9:32 pm

Go hang out and relax at Venice Beach. Even though you live at the beach.
But the Getty is a good idea too.

Elite VIP Jan 31, 2007 9:32 pm

Interested in museums? If so, then I suggest a hop over to the Getty Museum. Easy to get to by taxi from LAX and not too far away. It's also FREE admission (at least it was 2 years ago when I last went there)!!!

Fantastic museum and architecture and grounds/setting. 3-4 hours there would be GREAT! You might want to do some research on the web.