FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/554820-consolidated-what-do-layover-lax-thread.html)

BringBackPSA Nov 23, 2004 8:23 am

Double Double animal style

Go to In-N-Out burger for a Double Double Animal Style. In 8 Hours, you could eat there twice!

Seeksreal Nov 23, 2004 12:33 pm

The movie theaters at the Howard hughes Center are very nice (stadium seating) and rarely filled. However, you have enough time to go just about anywhere you please. LA has many nice restaurants to offer and lots of good shopping areas as well. It all depends on your tastes and interests. The Getty Museum is nice but you can also find interesting exhibits at the LA County Museum (near Wilshire and Fairfax). Nearby there you will also find the Farmer's Market and the Grove which would easily provide enough time-killing entertainment for you.

LAX Gambit Nov 23, 2004 12:48 pm

Howard Hughes Ctr w/o a car....

If you don't have a car, you can always catch the Radisson hotel/airport shuttle. The hotel is located near the Howard Hughes Center. Just be careful crossing the street at the intersection, because the streets are pretty wide.

The Bridge can be a bit pricey...and the theatre chi chi :cool: , but definitely worth it. You can also make advance ticket purchases. And they have free wireless access in their lounge!

The Promenade is a small shopping center with a variety of dining options.

Enjoy!

DennyO Nov 23, 2004 2:19 pm

Yeah, right!

Originally Posted by joebeenyc
One word. VEGAS.

You can catch a cheap SWA flight to Vegas and gamble for a few hours then return to LAX. I have done it.

Cheap, Vegas and gamble in the same sentence. Technically true, but make sure the return ticket is nonrefundable ;)

FlyinHawaiian Nov 23, 2004 2:31 pm

Just remember, while the traffic should be "holiday lite" on Friday, the malls are certain to be crowded on the busiest shopping day in the U.S...

Parkershepps Nov 23, 2004 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by BringBackPSA
Go to In-N-Out burger for a Double Double Animal Style. In 8 Hours, you could eat there twice!

I had EXACTLY the same thought! In-N-Out is yummmyyy.....

P-

tcook052 Nov 23, 2004 2:43 pm

While we're on the subject of LAX stopovers, I've got a 12 hour long one in a few weeks and want to get out and add to my Hard Rock Cafe T-shirt collection and so want to get to the one in Los Angeles. How far is it from LAX and any recommendations about the best way to get to the cafe? And how early should I be heading back for a 1910hrs HP departure from LAX home?

Thanks for the input. :)

chobby100 Nov 23, 2004 2:48 pm

I've done this exact same thing as mileage run. (BOS-LAX last february).

My SO had never been and I had been a few times. so we rented the cheap car from FOX car rental (book on their site and book one class below what you want then print out coupon for free one class upgrade). It was < $15. Then just gave her the grand tour. Sunset, BH, Hollywierd, hollywood hills, santa monica, venice etc. A trip to In-N-out was also in the mix.

LAX Gambit Nov 23, 2004 3:08 pm

Hard Rock Cafe

Originally Posted by tcook052
How far is it from LAX and any recommendations about the best way to get to the cafe? And how early should I be heading back for a 1910hrs HP departure from LAX home?

Actually, we have two HRCs in the LA area. The original one is located at the Beverly Center and the "Universal City" one at Universal City Walk.

The Beverly location is on the corner of San Vicente and Beverly and is closer to LAX, but you definitely have to drive. Taking a car and head north on La Cienega. The Beverly Center is a huge complex and will be on your left. You can't miss it.

You can get directions to Universal Studios anywhere. The HRC is located near the parking structures near the movie theatre.

Enjoy! :D

bocastephen Nov 23, 2004 3:31 pm

If you're a sushi lover, the best sushi buffet around is O'nami - they have a few locations in the area. Torrance is closest to LAX, but it's not nearly as good as the location at West Covina Mall. It's abit of a hike down I-10, but it's worth the drive.

FlyinHawaiian Nov 23, 2004 3:38 pm

While we're on the subject of LAX stopovers, I've got a 12 hour long one in a few weeks and want to get out and add to my Hard Rock Cafe T-shirt collection and so want to get to the one in Los Angeles. How far is it from LAX and any recommendations about the best way to get to the cafe? And how early should I be heading back for a 1910hrs HP departure from LAX home?

Thanks for the input. :)

The answer is largely dependent on what day of the week you want to do this - the variable is the amount of traffic you can expect.

Thanks.

tcook052 Nov 23, 2004 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The answer is largely dependent on what day of the week you want to do this - the variable is the amount of traffic you can expect.

Thanks.

Sorry, should've been more specific. It's a Thurs. 9 Dec. when I walk off a NW HNL-LAX flight around 0600 and don't leave until the HP flight around 1910 (does that sound like a true FTer as I got it at a decent price ;) )The Hard Rock Cafe I'd hoped to visit is the one at 8600 Beverly Blvd. and I had hoped to avoid driving in L.A. Taxi cost much to/from LAX?

Thanks again. :)

FlyinHawaiian Nov 23, 2004 4:24 pm

Sorry, should've been more specific. It's a Thurs. 9 Dec. when I walk off a NW HNL-LAX flight around 0600 and don't leave until the HP flight around 1910 (does that sound like a true FTer as I got it at a decent price ;) )The Hard Rock Cafe I'd hoped to visit is the one at 8600 Beverly Blvd. and I had hoped to avoid driving in L.A. Taxi cost much to/from LAX?

Thanks again. :)

I would think you would want to leave the Beverly Center no later than 1630 - plan on an hour to get to LAX during weekday rush hour traffic. I would think a cab would be around $40 but that's just my guess.

I've not flown out of T1 at LAX since 9/11 but I suspect the TSA lines can be long - I've seen it out the door and halfway to T2 on some peak days.

dmfriedman Nov 23, 2004 6:00 pm

Sorry, folks, I'm gonna have to move this over to the Los Angeles forum. Activities in the destination city of a Mileage Run are not exactly pertinent to the miles/points discussion. I know there have been such discussions in the past, but I'm still trying to bring more focus to the topic that's supposed to be here.

Thanks,

Dave, a.k.a. dmfriedman
Moderator, Mileage Run

kef0913 Nov 23, 2004 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I would think you would want to leave the Beverly Center no later than 1630 - plan on an hour to get to LAX during weekday rush hour traffic. I would think a cab would be around $40 but that's just my guess.

I've not flown out of T1 at LAX since 9/11 but I suspect the TSA lines can be long - I've seen it out the door and halfway to T2 on some peak days.

You might check if SuperShuttle or Prime Time Shuttle will take you to and pick you up from the Beverly Center. Might be cheaper than a taxi. Although, I would still recommend a rental car.

Also, from what I have seen the T1 security lines tend to be longer than the other terminals. I think its just because of Southwest.