Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:13 pm

Programs: America Worst
Wild Goose

Originally Posted by Jailer
I don’t know if this kind of thing appeals to you, but if you take the free shuttle to the green line metro station, you come upon the Wild Goose, a bar with, er, entertainment.

Better check on how late the shuttle runs back, else you will end up taking a cab.

Hope the strippers don’t cost you more than the mileage run.
Is that place still there ? Well I guess it is from the website.
http://www.thewildgoose.com
Not a bad idea at all.
I would say its a bit more fun than hanging at the airport
watching LAPD fall asleep everywhere in the terminal.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:55 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by Kentski
Hi All -

Doing a mileage run on Saturday and will be at LAX from about 9pm until 1:30am ... I know Encounter is closed then, and not sure about the places in the International terminal.

Should I catch a hotel van for a nearby bar? Anywhere nearby where I can still get back safely in time for my return flight?

My vote would be the rooftop bar at the Radisson.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:16 pm

3hrs transit in LAX

I have 3hrs (3PM-6PM) in LAX between flights next week. I'm hoping to catch up with a friend of mine at a nearby coffee shop/restaurant. Any suggestions/recommendations?

My friend will be driving up from Long Beach, if that helps.

Cheers!
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by malgudi
I have 3hrs (3PM-6PM) in LAX between flights next week. I'm hoping to catch up with a friend of mine at a nearby coffee shop/restaurant. Any suggestions/recommendations?

My friend will be driving up from Long Beach, if that helps.

Cheers!
To maximize catching up time, I'd suggest meeting at the airport. The bar/grill upstairs in the international terminal is the least bad of the options I've tried outside security.

Outside the airport, Embassy Suites LAX south has a reasonable ambience in the atrium, and is fairly close.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Depends on what you are looking for and whether they are picking you up. Could make the drive south to Panchos in Manhatten Beach -- nicer than sitting around a hotel, and excellent margaritas. It's about a 10 minute drive or less.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
At the airport, TBIT has the best landside options. You could also go to the Encounters restaurant (the spaceship looking thing).

Within 5 minutes of the airport, there are strip malls north on Sepulveda which have typical eateries and a Starbucks (with a decent view of the approach). There's also In-n-Out (can't say it enough), a great hamburger stand with an absolutely clear view of the approach (sit on the right side of the plane, look for the bright red building when you're about 50 feet above the runway )

There's also various hotel bars, lounges, other food places, both north and south on Sepulveda, and east on Century Blvd.

It would help to know which airlines you're flying in/out on.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
13 hour layover @ LAX

Hello everybody,

I am travelling FRA-LHR-LAX-HNL this summer (all in C exept for LAX-HNL leg in F). Unfortunately I am arriving @ LAX 7:30 pm and threrefor have a 13 hour layover till 9 am next morning. Are there any *A lounges open 24 hours or any special hotel offers you can recommend. By the way I am travelling on NZ to L.A. and on UA from L.A.

Aloha
Rocket2511

Last edited by Rocket2511; Jan 13, 2007 at 10:47 am
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Welcome to FT!

I'd get myself one of the many airport hotels and get a nice long shower and some real sleep. There's plenty of choice.

Not sure what the question has to do with LH or M&M, though.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: black is magic
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Welcome to FT!

I'd get myself one of the many airport hotels and get a nice long shower and some real sleep. There's plenty of choice.
Completely agree. I personally tried the Radisson so far, which was ok. The FourPoints on the other side was pretty bad.

Not sure what the question has to do with LH or M&M, though.
He's flying most of his flights on LH ... But I agree, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=507 might be a better place.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Thomas_B
He's flying most of his flights on LH ...
Not really! FRA-LHR-LAX-HNL.

SmilingBoy.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rocket2511
Hello everybody,

I am travelling FRA-LHR-LAX-HNL this summer (all in C exept for LAX-HNL leg in F). Unfortunately I am arriving @ LAX 7:30 pm and threrefor have a 13 hour layover till 9 am next morning. Are there any *A lounges open 24 hours or any special hotel offers you can recommend. By the way I am travelling on NZ to L.A. and on UA from L.A.

Aloha
Lars
What kind of connection is this

Is it just because you admire NZ C ? The connection with LH 456 arriving early afternoon would be much better since you could spend some time in the city before heading back to the airport and enjoy the night in a hotel.

Anyways you have your reasons and I suggest either the Radisson which is the closest to the terminals or (of you like the Heavenly Bed) the Westin !

Avoid the Hilton! At all cost! Dont ask just do it!

And yes I agree, the good old Los Angeles Forum is a proper place for this.

Cheers
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Several years ago, before we got our house in LAX, I used to have some not-so-bad stays at the Crowne Plaza. Good rates, too.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Thanks for the quick reply, I think I´ll give the Radisson a try. And thanks for the hint with the L.A. forum. Didn´t even know that it exists.

Can somebody give some Information about the lounges at LAX as I was told that there is construction work going on in some terminals.

Aloha
Rocket2511
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk Rocket2511

You would not only need a 24 hour lounge but one that you have access to. On arrival on NZ you cannot access NZ's airside lounge in T2 and in any case it closes after last flight of the night. AFAIK UA's lounges (also airside) are not open 24 hours.

For that long a layover I'd definitely take a hotel. A proper bed, shower etc is worth having IMHO. There are plenty of airport hotels with free shuttles. If you collect hotel stay points you may have a preference otherwise I'd suggest checking out the LA forum and the various hotel chain forums for suggestions of good places and those to avoid. It will probably help if you advise a budget.

mod hat on

I don't think this question belongs in the LH Miles and More forum as it doesn't seem to be about either of these. I'll move this thread for you to the LA forum.

Kiwi Flyer
LH moderator
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rocket2511
Can somebody give some Information about the lounges at LAX as I was told that there is construction work going on in some terminals.
There's at least one longer thread about the temporary lounges at TBIT in the *A forum.

However, with you arrving on NZ and departing on UA, I don't see the relevance, as there's no construction going on in these terminals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.