Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:24 am

Well, I decided to take your advice and consider a rental. Unfortunately, the offices at the station close well before the train arrival and, at least with Hertz, "after hours pickup is not available". Budget's website does not state that but will not let me make the booking.

That means I'd have to hoof it down to the airport first, and then rent from there. That really seems like it's a lot more hassle than it's worth.

I think I'll just book the through ticket to Santa Ana. What is Amtrak's policy regarding connections? Would they typically hold the last train a few minutes, or would they just rebook on the bus? I know with VIA up here in Canada, they would generally hold the train for connections if it is not too delayed.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by cedric
I think I'll just book the through ticket to Santa Ana. What is Amtrak's policy regarding connections? Would they typically hold the last train a few minutes, or would they just rebook on the bus? I know with VIA up here in Canada, they would generally hold the train for connections if it is not too delayed.
Frankly, I find the possiblity of Amtrak holding the last Surfliner train darn low, unless they knew there was a *large* group connecting (more than a bus load), and it was a short (5-10 minute) hold...

Frankly, if the Starlight was over an hour late, I'd prepare to wait for the late bus...although they *might* call for an immediate bus if they knew there was a large connecting crowd.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
I would say take the train to Irvine and then taxi from there, if you can catch the last one.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:01 pm

Tranportation From UCLA to Staples

I'm going to a concert at the Staples Center and was wondering what the best form of transportation would be from/to the UCLA area. Is driving myself make sense or getting a limo better?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
You can take the 10 down or some of the wider East West streets like Pico or Venice. There's plenty of parking lots nearby. Last time I was there and had to pay for parking in the lots... IIRC I think it was somewhere between $10-20, but keep in mind, this was for a Kings game. I have no clue how much a limo will cost.

All your options involve being stuck in traffic during the week though, so plan accordingly.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:50 pm
In memoriam

You can take the bus down Wilshire and transfer to the subway (at Western?) which will take you to Staples. The subway is fast, the bus depends on traffic.

This avoids a lot of hassle with parking and after event traffic.

Another option is to eat at the Original Pantry and walk to Staples afterwards. The Pantry is historic (for L.A.) and never closes--pretty cheap, too with pretty good food. http://www.pantrycafe.com/ You can usually park for free on the street by the pantry if it is not during the business day.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
You can take the bus down Wilshire and transfer to the subway (at Western?) which will take you to Staples. The subway is fast, the bus depends on traffic.

This avoids a lot of hassle with parking and after event traffic.
Good point. I thought about suggesting that; I guess for me it seems like a long bus ride, esp at night, but YMMV.

Anyways, catch either the 720 (ideally), 20 or 21 to Western and Wilshire. Enter the Metro Red Line station and catch any train (they all head downtown). Get off at 7th St. Metro and Transfer to the Metro Blue Line. Take it one station down to Pico. Staples Center will clearly be visible. On the return trip, at the 7th St. Metro Station, make sure to catch a Wilshire/Western bound train and not a North Hollywood bound train. It'll say on the train and the red LED display overhead.

For the round trip, I would suggest getting a day pass as each ride is $1.25, while a day pass is $5.00. I know some folks will say that they don't check tickets on entry for the Metro Rail lines, but skipping fare is 1) bad karma and 2) a big fine if your just unlucky enough to be on train where the PD are checking for tickets.

I'm not sure about late night frequency, so you will probably want to check mta.net for details.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Another option is to eat at the Original Pantry and walk to Staples afterwards. The Pantry is historic (for L.A.) and never closes--pretty cheap, too with pretty good food. http://www.pantrycafe.com/ You can usually park for free on the street by the pantry if it is not during the business day.
This is a great suggestion, just allow yourself plenty of time as the Pantry can often have a line, especially when there is an event at SC.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Travel time by Car: LAX to SNA

At approximately 7pm on a Friday evening... how bad will traffic be?

Google maps is showing an "up to 1 hr, 0 min" in traffic travel time.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lax+to...ox-a&z=11&om=1

Any advice for the best routing to avoid traffic?

And, don't suggest LAX-SNA on the EMB120.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Departing LAX at 7pm on a Friday likely will be about an hour to 90 minutes to go the 45 miles. The problem is too long a stretch of the 405 to say for any certainty. With all the interchanges you pass, any backups on any one of them and it can double your travel time. Going to SNA itself or the area? The 405 is really the only direct route, unless you're going elsewhere in OC.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd allocate 90minutes, and agree re: the 405 being the most direct route unless you're going elsewhere in the area.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
About 90+ min.

I did that exact commute a few weeks ago picking up a friend from LAX and taking her back home of the 405/Jamboree in Irvine. (one offramp further than SNA) Picked her up and left LAX at 6:45 PMish on a Friday. Traffic was slow on the 405 South, but still moving up until you reach the 605 interchange, then it gradually gets back up to speed, about 90-100 min total.

Going NORTH on the 405 towards LAX is a totally different story though.

Good luck!
Steve
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely have to allow yourself a minimum of 90 minutes if you have to be somewhere in OC at a certain time.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: America Worst
You know why we call it the 405 ?
Cause sometimes it takes 4 o 5 Hours to get from LA to OC.

Seriously. For a normal late Friday commute. LAX to SNA. No Carpool.
90 Minutes would be normal. Get a carpool buddy and then 60 Minutes is a resonable estimate. BEWARE. Any major accidents or overturned trucks and all bets are off. Listen to the radio 1070 KNX for tarffic updates.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum, DL MM
Originally Posted by bltserv
You know why we call it the 405 ?
BEWARE. Any major accidents or overturned trucks and all bets are off. Listen to the radio 1070 KNX for tarffic updates.
1070 gives trafic on the 5's i.e. 7:15 7:25 etc
and 980 gives it on the 1's 7:01 7:11 etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.