Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 3:19 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by RockSmithington
I need to get from LAX to Huntington Beach for a conference and would rather not rent a car. Any car service recommendations? Would an Uber/Lyft go that far out of the way? Also, how much time should I be giving myself to get back to LAX for a 3:00pm return flight given traffic...etc?
Uber/Lyft will go there just fine, but if you want to prebook, I suggest shuttle2lax.com

If it's a domestic flight and you have Pre-check and no checked bags, you can arrive at the airport at 2pm, meaning you should leave by 12:30, maybe 12:00 to be safe. If you have to check bags or don't have Pre-check, you should go a bit earlier.
RockSmithington likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to add: that's not far out of the way for an Uber/Lyft to/from LAX - that's a pretty normal ride. I live a comparable distance in the other direction and drivers don't even comment on it - you won't have any trouble getting a driver who will take the ride.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by miuk
Was looking for one of those shuttle rides to LAX from Orange County, ie. Prime Time, Super Shuttle, etc....

Prices increased dramatically from the last time i took one (Feb 2017). Used to pay $22.95 and now i'm getting quotes for $46. Might as well take an Uber or Lyft at these prices.
Originally Posted by cbn42
Shuttle2lax.com should still be $25 for one person for most parts of Orange County except the far southern end.
So these posts from 2018 are the last ones that provide info on shuttles from LAX-SNA. Is there any up to date info on rates/companies?

Shared Shuttle LAX-SNA
I have messaged 2 Shuttle companies whose websites say they have shared shuttles from LAX-SNA but they have replied that they don't.
SuperShuttle and Prime say on their websites that they have shared shuttles but when I go through their "Request a Quote" link they only provide quotes for private transfers starting around $90. Do shared shuttles exist and any links available?

Spirit have 2 options flying via Las Vegas on the day I need to travel for around $65 that take 3.5hrs - 1 hour less than Los Angeles public transit would take!! If I didn't have luggage to pay for Spirit would be very tempting.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
To the best of my knowledge, Shuttle2LAX is still offering shared vans service between LAX and SNA.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
To the best of my knowledge, Shuttle2LAX is still offering shared vans service between LAX and SNA.
Thanks -its online quote engine also only returns private transfers not shared rides.
The website teases with the banner below but provides no way of booking

$25 Fare NO MATTER WHERE!

* plus airport fee

Available only for Shared Ride on this Service Area

Edit

Got an answer from their online chat:

After pandemic, shared ride is no longer available and now we only offer a private rides.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Sep 13, 2023 at 7:36 am
Old Sep 15, 2023, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Keep in mind that Metro riders 62 years and older benefit from a significant discount with a Transit Access Pass (TAP) card or the TAP App.

https://www.metro.net/riding/fares/seniors/

https://www.taptogo.net/
pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Sep 15, 2023 at 6:24 am
Old Sep 17, 2023, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Keep in mind that Metro riders 62 years and older benefit from a significant discount with a Transit Access Pass (TAP) card or the TAP App.
Missed it by that much! (6 months to be exact )
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The reality is there is not much demand for LAX-SNA transfer. It also doesn't fit in the normal commute pattern so there is scant public transit option with zero direct routing. The easiest way to get there is by Uber or Lyft.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
San Pedro cruise terminal => LAX or LGB

In the process of booking a cruise ("bargain" rate on the Explora I) arriving on a Sunday in May next year. Most of the car rental locations are closed in that part of town. Other than taxi/shuttle/Lyft/Uber, whats' the best means of getting to LAX, SNA or SAN or getting a rental car? Car rental rates are still... exorbitant. Planning to stay 3 days (uncertain as my nephew and family may or may not have moved from SF by then, and I don't want to buy tickets to get to SF if they're no longer there).
Old Nov 30, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Uber will be pretty easy from the cruise terminal. I wouldn't mess with rental car from the port if you are doing one-way rental - it's going to be expensive.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
Uber will be pretty easy from the cruise terminal. I wouldn't mess with rental car from the port if you are doing one-way rental - it's going to be expensive.
Seems to vary between very expensive for return-to-renting location and absurdly expensive for one-way intrametropolitan area rentals.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually turn on google maps for trips to/from LAX so that it will give me updates on traffic incidents, and for a decade it's gotten horribly confused every time I went through the 110/105 interchange in the HOV lane. It would start to perseverate and give me instructions to do weird things on surface streets.

A weird thing happened to me on the way home from LAX on Wednesday - as I was approaching the 110 from 105 E, the google maps voice told me to get in the *left* lane for the exit to the 110.

At long last, google maps finally recognizes the existence of the HOV lanes in LA and will give instructions based on them. I was just checking the estimated time to LAX on google maps and it did something similar - it showed me the routes and included a little flag that there are tolls on my usual route, presumably incorporating the 20 minutes saved by using the HOV lanes. If I change the "avoid tolls" switch, it does indeed change the routing and timing.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I usually turn on google maps for trips to/from LAX so that it will give me updates on traffic incidents, and for a decade it's gotten horribly confused every time I went through the 110/105 interchange in the HOV lane. It would start to perseverate and give me instructions to do weird things on surface streets.

A weird thing happened to me on the way home from LAX on Wednesday - as I was approaching the 110 from 105 E, the google maps voice told me to get in the *left* lane for the exit to the 110.

At long last, google maps finally recognizes the existence of the HOV lanes in LA and will give instructions based on them. I was just checking the estimated time to LAX on google maps and it did something similar - it showed me the routes and included a little flag that there are tolls on my usual route, presumably incorporating the 20 minutes saved by using the HOV lanes. If I change the "avoid tolls" switch, it does indeed change the routing and timing.
Ahh, finally! It is very hard to figure out which HOV lanes will merge with another freeway's HOV lanes. The CalTrans maps are almost useless.
For example, the HOV lane from the 105 east does NOT merge with the 405. You must get across 4 or 5 lanes of traffic do do so.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.