2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 22 April 2019 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Kieron
For Fremont, particularly towards the south side, SJC is even closer than OAK.
Good point. Why didn't I think of that?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Kieron
For Fremont, particularly towards the south side, SJC is even closer than OAK. If your ground transportation plans include renting a car, it'll also be faster at SJC (the shuttle bus to the OAK rental car center adds a substantial delay). The route is served by Delta, American, and Southwest, but with fewer options that meet your schedule. With a moderate amount of luck, the option I'd choose is DL1644, 8:10-9:32.
You guys are awesome! Many thanks, and i learned San Jose has an airport!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
This is your best options: Southwest 3333

LAX-SJC 8:45 AM departure.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I will be on AA SAN-LAX arriving 10:50 at T5 then JL LAX-NRT departing 13:20. They are under the same AA PNR so I assume I can check the bags all the way through from SAN. Based on wiki, I will be able to stay airside by taking the tunnel from T5 to T4 then the walkway to TBIT. Is that correct? Is 2:30 safe enough for this connection?

TIA
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sleepro
I will be on AA SAN-LAX arriving 10:50 at T5 then JL LAX-NRT departing 13:20. They are under the same AA PNR so I assume I can check the bags all the way through from SAN. Based on wiki, I will be able to stay airside by taking the tunnel from T5 to T4 then the walkway to TBIT. Is that correct? Is 2:30 safe enough for this connection?

TIA
Actually, your flight from SAN will be arriving at the remote Eagle terminal. From there, there are airside shuttles to both T4 and T5. You can walk the rest of the way to TBIT via (the tunnel, if T5, and) the connector.

As far as I know, both flights being on the same PNR, you should be able to check your bags through from SAN to NRT, in which case 2 1/2 hours are sufficient for that connection; however, questions about interlining bags from AA to JL are best answered by the experts in the following thread in the American Airlines forum:
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by sleepro
Is 2:30 safe enough for this connection?
For the next couple of weeks, there is an average hour-long arrival delays for all CONUS/Can flights into LAX from early morning to late evening due to mass implementation of new arrival and departure routes. After this, there will be ground construction projects that may continue to hamper LAX.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
For the next couple of weeks, there is an average hour-long arrival delays for all CONUS/Can flights into LAX from early morning to late evening due to mass implementation of new arrival and departure routes. After this, there will be ground construction projects that may continue to hamper LAX.
Do you have a link or further information regarding this?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Now let's get back to discussing LAX flight Connections.

If you wish to continue discussing flight delays caused by the implementation of the NextGen program, please start a new thread.

Thank you,

TWA884
Los Angeles moderator
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
You can see the daily GDPs in each day's advisory listing: http://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/advAdvisoryForm.jsp
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:08 pm

Does anyone happen to know if AA has baggage check in capabilities at the post-customs baggage drop off area in TBIT?

Arriving TBIT from abroad on Norwegian, which does not interline. Separate ticket on AA, domestic. Is it possible to check my bags in in TBIT, or do I take them outside along the sidewalk to T4? Would prefer the former, and just re-enter in TBIT. Not a huge deal either way, but would like to know.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lkar
Does anyone happen to know if AA has baggage check in capabilities at the post-customs baggage drop off area in TBIT?

Arriving TBIT from abroad on Norwegian, which does not interline. Separate ticket on AA, domestic. Is it possible to check my bags in in TBIT, or do I take them outside along the sidewalk to T4? Would prefer the former, and just re-enter in TBIT. Not a huge deal either way, but would like to know.
Not possible to re-check at TBIT in your case.

The re-check station outside TBIT custom can only take luggage tagged to final destination.

But as you mentioned, the walk is short so you will be ok.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TWA884
Actually, your flight from SAN will be arriving at the remote Eagle terminal. From there, there are airside shuttles to both T4 and T5. You can walk the rest of the way to TBIT via (the tunnel, if T5, and) the connector.
What would you say the maximum reasonable time it will take to get from the remote Eagle terminal to TBIT? (Bags will be checked through, so I can stay airside.)
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:04 pm

What would you say the maximum reasonable time it will take to get from the remote Eagle terminal to TBIT? (Bags will be checked through, so I can stay airside.)
There is an MCT (minimum connect time) table for domestic to international AA flights, including codeshares, in post number 460 in the AA Guide: LAX / Los Angeles Int Airport, MCT / Connection, etc. (Master thread) in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

Based upon that table and my personal experience of getting from the remote terminal to T4 and, on separate occasions, walking between T4 and TBIT, I'd allow a minimum of 55 minutes to an hour to get from gate to gate. That's not taking into account any additional time that may be required if the connecting flight is not operated by AA; my reading of the linked table is that the MCT for such flights is 1:30 to 2:00.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Major changes coming to LAX the nights of May 12, 14 and 16, 2017.

In addition to Delta moving from T5 and T-6 to T-2 and T-3 on May 12, the following airlines will be moving during 12-24-16 May 2017:
  • Air Canada
  • Allegiant
  • Avianca
  • Boutique Air
  • Copa
  • Frontier
  • Hainan
  • Hawaiian
  • InterJet
  • JetBlue
  • Qatar
  • Southwest International
  • Spirit
  • Sun Country
  • Thomas Cook
  • Virgin America
  • Virgin Australia
  • Volaris
  • WestJet
  • XL France
Attached Images  
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:19 pm

With the relocation by Delta, my plans on being able to take myself and my family to a PP lounge for breakfast (after taking a red-eye from Hawaii) during a 3+ hour layover in late August/early September have just been hampered. How are the TSA lines at around 8:00 AM? Our flight is scheduled to get in at 5:05 so I am guessing going to Terminal 5 or 6 would be pretty fast that early in the morning, just worried about getting back to Terminal 2 or 3 for the 8:50 connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.