2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 22 April 2019 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
I think 6/7/8 are connected above ground (maybe below ground too?). I know you can definitely walk T8 - TBIT, though it's a bit convoluted with the above/below ground zig-zags.
The tunnel only goes between 4/5/6. For 6/7/8 there is a concourse-level connecting walkway at the "base" of the terminals. So from the tunnel, you take the escalator up into 6, which is in the middle of the terminal. From there you head towards the exit. As you approach the TSA checkpoint, stay to your right and there are signs and and access way for gates 70-86.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
When we came back, we ran into the only snafu in my plan. We tried to clear security at T4 because our DL-printed BPs for our VA flight showed PreCheck and TBIT doesn't have PreCheck. The contract line dragon at T4 insisted we couldn't clear security there because we were in the wrong terminal.
Dragon was wrong. LAX says you can enter any terminal with a same-day ticket. Even T1 with a T7 BP.

It's too late now, but you could have walked to T5/T6/T7 and used PreCheck there instead of going to TBIT.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:19 am

Advice on connecting flight time

Hi,

I am a long time reader and now the time has come to use your expertise.

On Monday 8th May I will be flying from Manchester, UK and arriving at LAX Terminal 2 at 2.45pm. I need to book an onward flight to LAS and the following times meet my budget, both flying with Southwest from T1.

Departing at 5.30pm or 6.35pm.

I will have checked baggage that I will need to pick up after going through immigration and then re-check at T1 (I will have checked in online).

I would rather book the 5.30pm, so I have more time in Vegas.

Has T2 got the Immigration Kiosks yet?

Do you experts think I would make the 5.30pm flight?

If I do miss it, how are SW on putting customers on the next flight if there is space?

Are flights Southwest flights from LAX - LAS usualy delayed? I just had a quick look and many seem to be in the past couple of days.

Sorry about all of the questions, thanks for your help.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
3 hours is recommended for int'l to domestic connection with change of terminal. But I think you should be ok because it is a very short walk from T2 to T1.

SW will probably accommodate you if you showed up late but they are not obligated to... there is a LAX-LAS flight just about every hour so you will get a seat eventually.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by stu1901
If I do miss it, how are SW on putting customers on the next flight if there is space?
This question really belongs in the Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards forum, however, in a nutshell, you must call Southwest to cancel a flight at least 10 minutes prior to departure in order to receive credit for the value of the ticket towards the purchase of another. If you don't call to cancel, you will lose what you paid for the unused ticket. There are no change fees on Southwest, but you will pay the current price for the replacement ticket.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:26 am

Quick question.

I am looking up flights at the end of april/early may, and one of the options is to fly from vegas to miami, via layover at LAX. But the layover is only 1 hr mand 10 minutes. They are on the same ticket, same airline (american airlines, flying on an A320 and a B777), and 99% sure we will be doing all carryon, so no checked baggage.

I believe this will be in the same terminal (T4, though i think they are also in T6).

Would 1 hr be enough? The Vegas > LA flight is an early flight (depart 7:15a) if that were to make any difference.

I am going on cruise, and this flight would be the day before. But I wonder if I should try and find a different flight?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by jaesun
Quick question.

I am looking up flights at the end of april/early may, and one of the options is to fly from vegas to miami, via layover at LAX. But the layover is only 1 hr mand 10 minutes. They are on the same ticket, same airline (american airlines, flying on an A320 and a B777), and 99% sure we will be doing all carryon, so no checked baggage.

I believe this will be in the same terminal (T4, though i think they are also in T6).

Would 1 hr be enough? The Vegas > LA flight is an early flight (depart 7:15a) if that were to make any difference.

I am going on cruise, and this flight would be the day before. But I wonder if I should try and find a different flight?
This looks pretty safe, and there are probably two more flights within three hours from LAX-MIA if you misconnect.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaesun

70 minutes between a pair of AA mainline flights should be fine. By then, the T6 operations will probably have finished their move to T5, and your Vegas flight may arrive there. The 777 to Miami could leave from T4 or from TBIT. All three terminals are in a row and connected inside security.

Worst case, you're looking at about a 15-20 minute walk from T5→T4→TBIT at a leisurely pace; if you're lucky and both flights are in T4, it'll only take a minute or two.

Even if something did go wrong with that connection, you're on one ticket and AA should be able to get you out the same day on a later flight.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:36 pm

Thanks @Kieron and @Craig6z, I found a couple more flights later in the day, so that another good thing if the flight is late. Also checked the late statistics for the flight and it looked decent ~6%, and the LA-MIA flight is late more often, which would be better for us if that were to happen.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Flying in on JAL landing 11:30 A.M., we're looking at a 2:40 or a 4:20 departure back to PHX. We are Global Entry, do any LAXperts think there's a reason to err on caution with the 4:20 home, aside from the fact it's on AA so I'd get free bags? The earlier ones will cost us more either via Southwest or Delta.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
Flying in on JAL landing 11:30 A.M., we're looking at a 2:40 or a 4:20 departure back to PHX. We are Global Entry, do any LAXperts think there's a reason to err on caution with the 4:20 home, aside from the fact it's on AA so I'd get free bags? The earlier ones will cost us more either via Southwest or Delta.
So the 2:40 is on WN or DL and the 4:20 is on AA?

I think 3 hours is generally just enough for int'l to domestic transfer with change of terminal on opposite ends of LAX so it is your call.

The 4:20 departure on AA should be the mainline A321 flight so it will depart from either T5 or T6 depending on how soon your trip takes place.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
Arriving on LH at the TBIT, my connection on UA to PHX from T7 is 3hrs 5min. later.
What is the quickest way to move between the two terminals?
Do I understand correctly that a shuttle bus is the best option?
Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:17 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AVSA
Arriving on LH at the TBIT, my connection on UA to PHX from T7 is 3hrs 5min. later.
What is the quickest way to move between the two terminals?
Do I understand correctly that a shuttle bus is the best option?
Thanks.
The three options are:
  • Enter terminal 4, and take the tunnels to 7
  • Walk on the sidewalk outside to 7
  • Take the shuttle bus

Unless your timing is perfect and you arrive at the shuttle stop when the right bus is pulling up, walking outside is probably the quickest. If you are not too burdened down with luggage, figure a 12 minute walk. The tunnels are probably an extra five minutes, but can be a bit confusing for newbies.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The Wiki says Intl->Domestic requires 2-3 hours. What about the reverse? My wife wants to take the 7:20-9:00 PHX-LAX route, to connect on a separate PNR on 13:30 JAL departure. We will have to collect luggage (thanks for not interlining, AA) and re-clear security.

I know 4 hours is more than enough on a normal on time flight, but if there is a hiccup or something AA would either have us delay, or put us on the 10:05-11:44 which wouldn't be enough.

Since it's a separate PNR I am trying to convince my wife to fly or drive the night before and I need some ammunition from expert LAX travelers.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Gig103
The Wiki says Intl->Domestic requires 2-3 hours. What about the reverse? My wife wants to take the 7:20-9:00 PHX-LAX route, to connect on a separate PNR on 13:30 JAL departure. We will have to collect luggage (thanks for not interlining, AA) and re-clear security.

I know 4 hours is more than enough on a normal on time flight, but if there is a hiccup or something AA would either have us delay, or put us on the 10:05-11:44 which wouldn't be enough.

Since it's a separate PNR I am trying to convince my wife to fly or drive the night before and I need some ammunition from expert LAX travelers.
American's standard offline domestic to international at LAX used to be 1:30 when they still interlined bags to other oneworld airlines; that probably factored in clearing security at TBIT, but not having to retrieve and check luggage.

I have never gotten checked luggage from American at LAX in less than half an hour. So, add that to the time it will take to check your luggage for your JAL flight, and we are probably at 2:00 - 2:15 give or take to be on the safe side. That gives you approximately a two hours cushion in case of irregular operations.

If the line for security at TBIT is long, you can clear security at the relatively new checkpoint on the arrivals level of the TBIT connector building, or, if you have PreCheck, it may yet be faster to clear security at T4; oops, JAL is not a participating airline, so forget about the PreCheck lanes.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.