2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.
LAX also now has an interactive map that will give detailed instructions between any two name-able points in the terminals (e.g. gates, restaurants, lounges, etc): Interactive Map

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Hi guys - I haven't transited through LAX in many many years so apologies in advance.

I have AA 302 coming from JFK -> LAX arriving at 11:17pm, connecting to AA 169 LAX->HND at 12:44AM.

Will I have enough time to transfer? I remember going out walking over to Tom Brady then going through security again many years ago, but not sure if the process is the same.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:54 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Hi guys - I haven't transited through LAX in many many years so apologies in advance.

I have AA 302 coming from JFK -> LAX arriving at 11:17pm, connecting to AA 169 LAX->HND at 12:44AM.

Will I have enough time to transfer? I remember going out walking over to Tom Brady then going through security again many years ago, but not sure if the process is the same.
It's plenty of time to make this connection and there is no need to go through a TSA security checkpoint as there is an airside connector between T4 and TBIT; depending on how fast you walk, it takes 5-10 to walk between the two terminals.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's plenty of time to make this connection and there is no need to go through a TSA security checkpoint as there is an airside connector between T4 and TBIT; depending on how fast you walk, it takes 5-10 to walk between the two terminals.
Thanks for the input!

Looks like AA302 has been arriving to terminal 4 gate 42 and AA169 has been departing out of gate 43
Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:46 pm

Hello,

We will be flying into LAX via Air France. However, our flight from LAX to SFO will be on United.

I know we will need to collect our baggage and go through customs, etc. Usually when we do that, we are on a single ticket and just bag drop again. But I am guessing with separate tickets, we will need to pick up the bags and then go around to Terminal 7 landside. Does that sound correct? Any idea how long that would take?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by jfinke
Hello,

We will be flying into LAX via Air France. However, our flight from LAX to SFO will be on United.

I know we will need to collect our baggage and go through customs, etc. Usually when we do that, we are on a single ticket and just bag drop again. But I am guessing with separate tickets, we will need to pick up the bags and then go around to Terminal 7 landside. Does that sound correct? Any idea how long that would take?

Thanks!
It depends on if your check-in agent at your origin airport is able to tag your bags all the way through to SFO--it's worth asking, even if they're on separate tickets. If SFO is the last destination on your tag, then you can collect your luggage, clear immigration and customs, and drop off your bags at the connecting bag drop area at Tom Bradley. If not, then you would need to carry your bags landside as you already described, to T7. The A (Airline Connections) shuttle is available to you at the pink-marked poles at the inner curb of the arrivals level. Though, it would only take about 10-15 minutes to walk it.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by lyrad89
It depends on if your check-in agent at your origin airport is able to tag your bags all the way through to SFO--it's worth asking, even if they're on separate tickets. If SFO is the last destination on your tag, then you can collect your luggage, clear immigration and customs, and drop off your bags at the connecting bag drop area at Tom Bradley. If not, then you would need to carry your bags landside as you already described, to T7. The A (Airline Connections) shuttle is available to you at the pink-marked poles at the inner curb of the arrivals level. Though, it would only take about 10-15 minutes to walk it.
Thanks so much!
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
As already suggested, try to get AF to tag the bag to SFO. Chances are they won't do it but it is worth a shot. If it is tagged to SFO, you just drop it off at recheck at TBIT which is after you exit custom (turn right) but before you leave the secured area.

If AF do not want to tag the bag to SFO, you can also try your luck at recheck station at TBIT... if someone from UA is there, they may be able to check you in. However, it's not guaranteed that UA will have staff there when you arrive. In that case, you take the bag with you to T7.
jfinke likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
As already suggested, try to get AF to tag the bag to SFO. Chances are they won't do it but it is worth a shot. If it is tagged to SFO, you just drop it off at recheck at TBIT which is after you exit custom (turn right) but before you leave the secured area.

If AF do not want to tag the bag to SFO, you can also try your luck at recheck station at TBIT... if someone from UA is there, they may be able to check you in. However, it's not guaranteed that UA will have staff there when you arrive. In that case, you take the bag with you to T7.
I second this! Try to see if there's a UA agent at the recheck area, before you leave!
jfinke likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 12:11 pm

Hello!

We have a JAL flight to HND from LAX that leaves at 1:10pm in mid-December and debating which flight to take to get from PHX > LAX. We are currently booked on a Southwest flight that gets in at 7am, which is crazy early, I know. We ideally would have taken the next flight - PHX 9:25a to LAX 10am, but am concerned about the flight being delayed/cancelled due to time of year and not making that international JAL flight at LAX (the next SW flight after this would not get to LAX in time). We will have business lounge access at LAX, but that is still an incredibly long time to be there, and if we end up having check in luggage, my understanding is we can't check that in for the JAL flight until 3 hours before so have to spend several hours elsewhere/roaming before that time.

So... Would you switch to that later SW flight and chance it being late/cancelled or just stick with the crazy early flight to ensure there are no issues?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 4, 2023, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by zeo219
Hello!

We have a JAL flight to HND from LAX that leaves at 1:10pm in mid-December and debating which flight to take to get from PHX > LAX. We are currently booked on a Southwest flight that gets in at 7am, which is crazy early, I know. We ideally would have taken the next flight - PHX 9:25a to LAX 10am, but am concerned about the flight being delayed/cancelled due to time of year and not making that international JAL flight at LAX (the next SW flight after this would not get to LAX in time). We will have business lounge access at LAX, but that is still an incredibly long time to be there, and if we end up having check in luggage, my understanding is we can't check that in for the JAL flight until 3 hours before so have to spend several hours elsewhere/roaming before that time.

So... Would you switch to that later SW flight and chance it being late/cancelled or just stick with the crazy early flight to ensure there are no issues?

Thanks in advance!
i'd fly into LAX the night before and overnight at the Hyatt Regency LAX a 5 minute walk from T1. I'm too old for 4am wakeups.
samosa likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 5:16 am

hey team flying for work from SEA on Alaska, arriving at T6 and then catching a UA flight to AKL on T7 with a layover time of 2hrs 17mins , all on one PNR and if it helps travelling with just a carry-on

1. This is a bit weird for me because its OW onto *A - any have any experience on this, did you get all boarding passes issued at original airport?

2. From what I've read, T6 and T7 are connected airside, is this info correct? If so I'm guessing I would need the afforemtioned boarding passes required above or is there some sort of transfer desk airside?
immigration and customs if so?
or is this all moot and i have to go through security again
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zeo219
Hello!

Thanks in advance!
Can you switch your PHX-LAX flight to an AA flight? Then call AA and ask them to connect the two PRN so it is one trip in the system. That way you can check in at PHX for your entire trip and tag your luggage all the way to HND and not worry about it, and can stay air side at LAX. It's really baffling why you wouldn't do this to be honest.

Don't try to save a few bucks with Southwest... it's not worth the stress and potential problem. You have to collect your luggage at LAX and recheck them with JL which makes 3 hours the minimum time you need. Anything shorter is asking for trouble.

If you are on AA from PHX to LAX, 3 hours is plenty of time to connect to LAX-HND. If you want to use WN, you should stick with the 7am flight. Or arrive the night before as suggested.

Originally Posted by raznz
hey team flying for work from SEA on Alaska, arriving at T6 and then catching a UA flight to AKL on T7 with a layover time of 2hrs 17mins , all on one PNR and if it helps travelling with just a carry-on

1. This is a bit weird for me because its OW onto *A - any have any experience on this, did you get all boarding passes issued at original airport?

2. From what I've read, T6 and T7 are connected airside, is this info correct? If so I'm guessing I would need the afforemtioned boarding passes required above or is there some sort of transfer desk airside?
immigration and customs if so?
or is this all moot and i have to go through security again
Who issued the ticket? AS or UA? Different alliance is not a problem. If the ticket is issued, you should have no problem checking in. Boarding pass is not related to check in per se. You may have to claim your boarding pass at the gate if for some reason AS cannot print it. Just make sure your luggage is tagged to AKL when you check in at SEA so you don't need to exit security at LAX to pick up the luggage.

There is no exit immigration or custom in the US so you just walk from T6 to T7 air side to board your next flight. Passport check is done at check in by AS. If you are not a NZ or AUS passport holder, there is a chance that UA may want to review your ETA at gate side. If that is the case, they will call you at the gate.
raznz likes this.

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 6, 2023 at 9:14 am
Old Nov 6, 2023, 1:22 pm

It's an 086 (NZ) issued ticket, a really roundabout trip that our corporate TA put together.

Otherwise, NZ passport holder and no luggage, so good to know can just stay airside! Thanks @bzcat always good to have extra info when you're in an unknown airport ^_^
Old Nov 7, 2023, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raznz
It's an 086 (NZ) issued ticket, a really roundabout trip that our corporate TA put together.

Otherwise, NZ passport holder and no luggage, so good to know can just stay airside! Thanks @bzcat always good to have extra info when you're in an unknown airport ^_^
When I’m on mixed tickets (like today…) I usually check in online with each carrier separately, but it’s also usually outbound on one and return on the other.

I walk from T6 to T7 regularly. Stay upstairs in the main concourse - the down escalator near the gates will take you to the terminal exit. As you approach the TSA checkpoint from inside, stay to the far right along the wall (don’t go down the escalator here, either). There’s a long corridor that leads from T6 to T7 with a view of the T6/T7 alley. It usually has a few people sleeping in it because it’s one of the quietest places at LAX if you have a long layover and is still carpeted.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:05 pm

International connections to Delta domestic

Question: after clearing CBP and custom with checked baggage, what’s next for me to do in order to connect to domestic Delta flight given the whole LAX is connected on airside?

where is the baggage recheck?

after recheck, do I need to walk outside to T3 and go through security check again?

The whole trip is on the same itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.