Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Construction of an airside multilevel connector AA Terminal 4 <----> Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) is underway. According to the schedule, completion is targeted for early 2016.

Key components of the project include:
  • A new, behind-the-scene, In-Line Checked-Baggage-Inspection System facility to house new explosive- detection systems. This will enhance security and free up lobby space in T-4 to reduce passenger congestion in the ticketing lobby.

• Secure Passenger Connector between T-4 and TBIT allowing screened domestic passengers to transition between both buildings in both directions without the need for rescreening. (Sic)

• Additional Security Screening Checkpoints for arriving international travelers, who have cleared federal immigration and customs inspection and need to catch connecting flights at Terminals 4, 5 6, 7, and 8 on the south side of the LAX Central Terminal Area.

• A new South Terminals Passenger Bus Port for travel between TBIT and Terminals 5 through 8.

• Upper Level World Way Plaza with open and landscaped areas and public seating will replace the open plaza currently on the Lower/ Arrivals Level between TBIT and T-4. Part of the new facility also will be built in this area.

• A temporary South Interline Baggage Transfer Facility to facilitate checked-bags between TBIT and Terminals 4 through 8 during construction of the new connector building.
LAWA news release 18 Mar 2013
Currently the only airside T-4 - TBIT connection is an afternoon airside shuttle bus from T-4 taking only departing Qantas passengers to their flights at TBIT. A boarding pass for one of those Qantas flights is required to board the shuttle bus; operating hours are 1600 and 2330.
American Airlines will get preferential access to four TBIT gates for international operations.

Related:

Link to LAWA / LAX airport official website

Link to LAWA newsletter re: connector and new TBIT gates

Link to LAWA project description downloadable PDF

See FT AA thread How/Where to get Short Connection Special Treatment at LAX TBIT?

Print Wikipost

TBIT-T4 connector

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
TBIT-T4 connector

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...r%20Insert.pdf

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...Newsletter.pdf

Construction will begin December 2013 and will be fully completed by December 2015 - although opening of the connector is scheduled for September 2015 (the last part of the project to be completed past opening date is the baggage system behind the scenes).

There will be air side connection between the 2 buildings on the 5th level which will connect T4 with the TBIT South Concourse. What this means is that AA domestic arrival transfer to QF or CX (or any other airlines in TBIT) will be painless... no need to clear TSA or board any shuttle bus.

There will also be land side connection just outside TBIT customs area. TSA screening station will be positioned right next to baggage recheck station so passengers transferring to AA will not need to step out to curb side to transfer to T4.

One downside is that you will no longer be able to see the airfield from the upper roadway between T4 and TBIT

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 14, 2013 at 5:57 pm
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, this is great for AA/OW flyers. Thanks for posting!

BTW - has anyone raised any issues with the fact that this is quite advantageous for AA and its OW partners? Just curious as I'd be a bit miffed if I were DL or UA, no?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Wow, this is great for AA/OW flyers. Thanks for posting!

BTW - has anyone raised any issues with the fact that this is quite advantageous for AA and its OW partners? Just curious as I'd be a bit miffed if I were DL or UA, no?
DL and UA do not have to bus their passengers to a doublewide trailer... and they have more gates than AA at LAX. I think they got a better deal

But seriously, I think there will be some push back to make AA finally open the T5 tunnel.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by bzcat
DL and UA do not have to bus their passengers to a doublewide trailer... and they have more gates than AA at LAX. I think they got a better deal

But seriously, I think there will be some push back to make AA finally open the T5 tunnel.
DL does not have more gates than AA. It has 15 gates in T5 and 2 to 3 in T6.

AA has 13 in T4, but LAWA also gives AA credit for the gates it used to have at the original Eagle terminal. (The current Eagle terminal has fewer gates.) Adding those, AA has about 23 or the number it cited in an email it sent to employees about the DOJ settlement. (That number does not include the rights to the 4 gates at TBIT.)

Now, of course, the Eagle gates are not convincing as real gates. But the important thing is that they can be traded for real gates in the future. So, eventually, as new terminal facilities come online (e.g., the Midfield Satellite Concourse), AA will end up with the better deal.

As to the tunnel, it is due to reopen. After the decision was made about a year ago, it was held up by a disagreement between Delta and AA over how to pay for some repairs to the tunnel. AA ended up paying for them.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
opening of the connector is scheduled for September 2015
Thanks for the update and links.

When is AA supposed to get the TBIT gates for international flights? (I think I read elsewhere 2014 but I am not sure.)
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
Thanks for the update and links.

When is AA supposed to get the TBIT gates for international flights? (I think I read elsewhere 2014 but I am not sure.)
In my opinion, it wouldn't be practical until the connector is open. But I think AA is entitled to use up to 4 gates at TBIT as soon as the new east side gates are open. Right now, only the west side gates are open and demolition will start any day on the old east side gates.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
In my opinion, it wouldn't be practical until the connector is open. But I think AA is entitled to use up to 4 gates at TBIT as soon as the new east side gates are open. Right now, only the west side gates are open and demolition will start any day on the old east side gates.
They've been taking down the jet bridges for the last week or so, so the process has begun.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Does anyone have any updates on when this tunnel might open? Is it still 2015?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Looks like early 2016, from the latest iteration of the construction schedule. And AA will have access to four TBIT gates as well.

The multilevel connector will be accessed by escalator or lift / elevator, will allow access to a partly outdoor "Upper World Way Public Plaza" with outdoor seating. LAWA is also building a baggage inspection and transfer facility to speed international to domestic baggage transfer, and a five lane passenger security screening point. The connector will provide a two way bus port for T 5-8 connections. Passengers will now be able to travel airside between TBIT, Terminals 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, the west and entire south side of LAX!

Content deleted and wiki created.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2015 at 9:58 am
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:20 pm

Subscribed for updates. Have a LAX-LHR flight I just booked for July.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The LAWA Executive Management Program Status Reports can be accessed here:
This is the most recent update (from November, page 41):
Originally Posted by LAWA
The dry-in work for the secure passenger connection between Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) and Terminal 4 is complete. Work progresses toward the February 2016 opening.

The project schedule was impacted by the discovery of unknown utilities which necessitated re-designing the foundation in the landside area. The project team has re-prioritized the project scope so that key components related to the passenger walkway will be completed close to original schedule target date. The project team continues to work with the contractor to mitigate any further delay with the remaining work.
Reading a bit deeper, work on the walkway should be finished on February 25 and the project completed on May 25, 2016.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are the completion projections from the December 2015 issue (PDF) of the LAX Terminal Operations / Construction Newsletter.
TBIT Construction Completion Projections

Following items are coming up sequentially for area turn over.

• Baggage Claim Carrousel 2 & 4 – End of January
  • South Loading Dock – Mid February
  • TBIT-T4 Connector Level 5 – End of February
  • North Security Checkpoint – Beginning of March
  • Baggage Claim Carrousel 1 & 3 – End of March
  • North Loading Dock Area – Beginning of April

Other projects include:

Ramp Striping for TBIT Parking Plan. LAWA striping crew will begin hopefully next week after ramp is dry.

This will include all gate areas, Gate 122 lead-in line from taxiway D-10 and the Fire Control Room.

We will be updating the ground surface painted stop signs at the same time. Completion date TBA.

Also, Gate 123A ACAMS activation should be completed beyond the end of January. Currently, airlines are boarding through the glass doors of Gate 123B.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:09 pm

Awesome, thanks! Looks like I should be good to go for July. The OW J lounge is worlds better than the Admirals Club in T4.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA/AA
New terminal 'connector' at LAX is making international travel easier

LAX’s Tom Bradley International Terminal is now linked internally with terminal numbers four through eight by a 104,000-square-foot, five-level connector building. Rather than taking a shuttle, passengers can now pass through a naturally lit atrium on moving walkways, which eliminates the hassle of going through TSA security again at another terminal.

http://la.curbed.com/2016/9/30/13124...ional-terminal
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:17 pm

The T4 - TBIT secure airside connector had a "soft" opening in February. I've used it several times since then. The TSA security checkpoint opened in May or June. I'm not sure if the bus port has opened yet.

Thursday was the official ribbon "cutting" ceremony.
Los Angeles Daily News:
At a ribbon-connecting ceremony in front of a glassy bridge with an airfield-view, Mayor Eric Garcetti and airport officials clasped the buckle of an oversized seat belt and hailed the facility as an important piece of a $14 billion modernization of the world’s seventh-busiest airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.