Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

It's not much consolation for anyone traveling over the next week, but LAX is moving on a massive overhaul of its ground transportation/arrival/departure situation that'll bring the airport, if not into the Twenty-First Century, at least into the late Twentieth.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...ation.php#more
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:52 pm

Page not found
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by JumboJet
Page not found
For some reason, Flyertalk will not link to the article. You can google the article headline, and find it there.

Last edited by jaymar01; Dec 23, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jaymar01
For some reason, Flyertalk will not link to the article. You can google the article headline, and find it there.
Try clicking this link. Flyertalk removed the four-letter word embedded in the site's URL.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 9, 2023 at 8:08 am Reason: Replace dead link
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Here is all you need to know:

1. The plan had already cleared an earlier stage of feasibility study. The LAWA Board voted to move onto environmental impact review (EIR) process, which is more detailed reviews.

2. $4 billion budget includes the APM, a new intermodal transit facility (ITF) for drop offs and transfers to buses, a new light rail station at 96th street, and a consolidated rental car center (CONRAC).

3. Most of the parking in CTA will be relocated to near the ITF. This will make room for the new central terminal area (CTA) check-in facility - think of it as another TBIT with T3 serving as the north wing, and T4/T5 serving as the south wing. I'm not sure if the $4 billion includes the cost of CTA check-in facility but it is integral to the APM plan during the initial feasibility study.

You can go directly to the LAWA site for more info: http://www.connectinglax.com/

Last edited by bzcat; Dec 24, 2014 at 11:55 am
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Is this an "alternative" to driving up to the curb of the terminals? Or will everyone be required to use the central facility?

If it's the latter, it'll be nice to eliminate the overwhelming number of buses and shuttles. However, it'll still have numerous private vehicles, no?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What will happen to the hotel and parking lot shuttle buses?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Major LAX Improvements Approved

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What will happen to the hotel and parking lot shuttle buses?
As the linked article says, "There will be two big ITF [Intermodal Transportation Facility] areas for pick-ups, drop-offs, parking, shuttle service, and even check-in, eating, and shopping...." The people-mover will get you from your terminal to these areas.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jan 5, 2015 at 2:08 pm Reason: Correct my infelicitous plural of facility
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Is this an "alternative" to driving up to the curb of the terminals? Or will everyone be required to use the central facility?

If it's the latter, it'll be nice to eliminate the overwhelming number of buses and shuttles. However, it'll still have numerous private vehicles, no?
The central check-in facility is envisioned just like TBIT check-in now... So not everyone will be required to use it... only if you are flying with the airlines that uses it.

As for private vehicles, LAWA is going out of its way to accomondate private vehicles so you can still drive in and be stuck in traffic. Although the idea is that you can drop off at ITF and not have to drive in the circle of hell so if everything is constructed as envisioned, I'm not sure why anyone would want to drive in the circle voluntarily.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:40 pm

Does LAWA already own all of the real estate required to build this? I haven't spent a lot of time driving around that area, but aren't there residential neighborhoods there?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Cardboard55
Does LAWA already own all of the real estate required to build this? I haven't spent a lot of time driving around that area, but aren't there residential neighborhoods there?
LAWA has been slowly buying up the properties as they go on sale. It's close to 90% owned by LAWA now. The area where CONRAC is planned is a ghost town now - you can see it when you are on final approach at LAX. Or check out Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9491.../data=!3m1!1e3

The ITF is located on LAWA land currently being used as bus depot and Parking Lot B and C, and land currently leased out to private parking operators.

There will be some private properties that will need to be acquired but not that much.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:00 pm

I suppose it's better than nothing. I have shown my disgust for LAX O/D travel, and I appreciate them trying anything and any little thing could help.

Having said that, I am not convinced that it will be a dramatic improvement, unless they have a direct train line from the airport proper/terminal to downtown (say). Otherwise, it will probably something like an EWR AirTrain redux, or worse (at least, you can make one transfer to Manhattan at EWR or JFK). If you have luggage, why would you want to make 2 or more transfers?

Or they can just charging the private cars entering/exiting the airport (for those not using the ITF), or something, if they are REALLY serious about the congestion.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Do also note that once you're on the people mover, it's going to end up on the top of the parking garages...then you'll have to take a moving walkway or walk to the terminal.

Being born and raised in L.A. and knowing L.A. politics, this will never be built... Watch for it to get tossed around for many years to come. Then they'll come up with another plan after all the lawsuits...and if anyone knows California, the lawyers will have their say first.

Don't be optimistic. A consolidated car rental facility, which we have been paying $10 a rental for many years...is all I expect.

As for LAX, personally I think it's great as it is NOW. I get in and out faster from T1 than any other major airport in America...and I don't have to walk for miles in the terminal. Learn how to get in and out of LAX...I know how to...and I live 10 miles away. Rarely ever takes me more than 15 minutes to get home.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:05 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Being born and raised in L.A. and knowing L.A. politics, this will never be built... Watch for it to get tossed around for many years to come. Then they'll come up with another plan after all the lawsuits...and if anyone knows California, the lawyers will have their say first.
It could happen... even the bullet train is getting built. Not sure what is more messed up, El Lay or Sacramento.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by CalItalian
Learn how to get in and out of LAX...I know how to...and I live 10 miles away. Rarely ever takes me more than 15 minutes to get home.
Well, then please share your wisdom. I lived less that 10 miles away for quite some time, and it never ceased being a pain in the butt, especially with all of the buses weaving in and out of traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.