Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The last 3 times I've been in the garage myself, driving around and looking for a parking spot with with a charger - I lost count of how many pickup trucks and SUVs were jammed into those spots. No enforcement at all - no towing, no tickets. If they won't enforce the parking rules, what's the purpose of putting in the chargers?
Are those the chargers that were still bagged over because they weren't hooked up yet? They installed the mechanical bits long before they wired them, and there was no enforcement while they were bagged over. Even this past weekend it looked like many of the first floor chargers were still not activated yet. They have a Dalek patrolling the garage now - presumably it will exterminate any non-EV users in EV spots in the future.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Are those the chargers that were still bagged over because they weren't hooked up yet? They installed the mechanical bits long before they wired them, and there was no enforcement while they were bagged over. Even this past weekend it looked like many of the first floor chargers were still not activated yet. They have a Dalek patrolling the garage now - presumably it will exterminate any non-EV users in EV spots in the future.
The bagged ones were months ago, but there arevonly a few of those now. I actually tricked a bagged charger to charge my car for free before they enabled to paid-charging application last winter.

I don't think the non-EV users will avoid the EV spots until they return from the trip and find either their car is missing and in the tow pound, or has a $500 citation slapped on the windshield - or easier, just add the $500 fine to their parking fee via the license plate reader so they need to pay it to exit the garage.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:55 pm

Those garages are frequently filled to near capacity, especially now with the construction and the fact that they are prebooking them online. Are you suggesting that someone who does not own an electric car should not be allowed to park in the garage if the only open spots all have chargers?

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 24, 2022 at 1:16 pm Reason: Please save the anti-EV rants for OMNI/PR. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1409394-electric-vehicle-discussion.html
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by downinit
Those garages are frequently filled to near capacity, especially now with the construction and the fact that they are prebooking them online. Are you suggesting that someone who does not own an electric car should not be allowed to park in the garage if the only open spots all have chargers?
Correct - that's exactly what I am saying. Those spots should be reserved exclusively for electric cars, some of which may enter the garage without a reservation. Furthermore, some EV owners are reserving these spots, only to find out the spot they reserved is unavailable because too many are blocked by non-EV vehicles. The chargers were put in the garage for that purpose, and the signage on their exclusive use is clearly posted - what's missing are the enforcement and penalties.
mrcool1122 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Exclamation

Heard on the news: road closures 11pm-8am starting Sep 26 2022

REMINDER: Overnight road closures at the Tom Bradley International Terminal will cause traffic impacts.
Plan ahead, arrive early, and listen to traffic officer instructions. https://t.co/FU0wcOApuQ
— LAX Airport (@flyLAXairport)
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's now 2023. The guideway has been complete since May and cars started arriving in August. Do we have any kind of firm date for the opening of the APM? It seems to always be presented as "by 2023".
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
It's now 2023. The guideway has been complete since May and cars started arriving in August. Do we have any kind of firm date for the opening of the APM? It seems to always be presented as "by 2023".
This is from an L.A. Times article that ran in the paper Sunday (link to the full article):
LAX-it will close (and ride-shares and taxis will go back to looping through the terminal area) once LAX opens its long-planned Automated People Mover (APM), an elevated electric train system with moving sidewalks and escalators. The APM — a major milestone after years of changes and construction at LAX — had been due for completion by the end of 2023. But on Nov. 16, LAX spokesman Heath Montgomery said, “We anticipate the beginning of operations for the APM in 2024 and are working to have a more definitive operational date soon.”
chrisl137 likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 2, 2023 at 9:18 pm Reason: Add quote from article since the image did not display
Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trainman74
This is from an L.A. Times article that ran in the paper Sunday (link to the full article)
I missed that article. It sounds like they're not going to open the APM until they have the CONRAC/ITF-East fully open, too. Earlier it sounded like they'd start running the APM to the Economy Lot & Transit Center before they completed ITF-East. Kind of disappointing, because buses can still get stuck in traffic outside the U, even if they have the express lane inside.
ryw likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Central Terminal Area Arrivals Level Northbound East Way Closure
Activity:

To facilitate work for the Landside Access Modernization Program, northbound East Way will be continuously closed at the arrivals level. Vehicular and pedestrian detours will be in place, and onsite flaggers and signage will help to facilitate travel.

Please plan ahead and use caution when traveling near construction areas.

Dates/Work Hours:

Tuesday, April 4, at 12:00 a.m. through Friday, May 26, at 6:00 a.m.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.

That's the roadway from T6 to T2. I don't think I've ever used that direction.
SPN Lifer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
The northbound sides of East Way and West Way are probably the least used pieces of pavement at LAX. They're useful for airport personnel but I can't imagine they get a lot of passenger traffic.
SPN Lifer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
The northbound sides of East Way and West Way are probably the least used pieces of pavement at LAX. They're useful for airport personnel but I can't imagine they get a lot of passenger traffic.
I use that sidewalk when arriving on AS or AA and walking to the Hyatt LAX SFO.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Apr 5, 2023 at 3:35 pm Reason: SFO - LAX, the HRs I stay at the most becoming a blur
Old Apr 5, 2023, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I use that sidewalk when arriving on AS or AA and walking to the Hyatt SFO.
That's one long walk.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by TWA884
That's one long walk.
.4 miles to LAX-IT from T6/T7 plus an additional .2 to HR SFO; I'm usually faster than the shuttle. For an AA flight to/from Terminal B it's about a mile. Feels good after being on the plane and nice to get the exercise before getting on the plane.

The flaggers on the route for the last year or so see you coming and get traffic stopped so there is no slow down until you get to the crossings for T2/T1. Most of the traffic in that area is FAA, TSA, airport, construction, and lost people.

Now I see the wink thanks to Craig6z. Subtle.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Apr 5, 2023 at 3:44 pm Reason: add subtle comment.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
.4 miles to LAX-IT from T6/T7 plus an additional .2 to HR SFO; I'm usually faster than the shuttle. For an AA flight to/from Terminal B it's about a mile. Feels good after being on the plane and nice to get the exercise before getting on the plane.

The flaggers on the route for the last year or so see you coming and get traffic stopped so there is no slow down until you get to the crossings for T2/T1. Most of the traffic in that area is FAA, TSA, airport, construction, and lost people.
Maybe there is a Star Trek transporter at the Hyatt LAX, that I haven't come across. Otherwise per Google maps it is an 137 hour walk to the HR in Burlingame.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.