Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Old May 22, 2021, 1:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
In case anyone is curious, there was a presentation to the LAWA board in April that included updates on all the approved LAX terminal renovations/expansions.

https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=4&clip_id=729&meta_id=49675

I believe this update does not include Terminal 0 or 9 because those projects are still in the initial planning stages and have not yet been formally approved to start.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:21 pm

Thank you, BillBurn. The amount of money they're spending at LAX is staggering. I readily admit that I'm a pessimist when it comes to these types of projects. I have the suspicion that once everything is completed, the passenger experience will continue to be mediocre, at best.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:35 am

An April 22 update on the APM to the board mentions that they now expect to complete it "in the second half of 2023" which a 3-6 month delay. This is a problem because the CONRAC (which is largely on schedule) can't open until the APM is finished.

https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer...&meta_id=49677

The ITW West looks like it will open by early fall of this year, but until the APM is completed there will be bus shuttles to and from that facility.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BillBurn
The ITW West looks like it will open by early fall of this year, but until the APM is completed there will be bus shuttles to and from that facility.
Since Lot E seems to be staying closed, it seems like they're just going to not bother re-opening E and then move those parkers to ITF West. The nice thing about ITFW is that it's a reasonable walk from the CTA - I was doing that walk regularly to Lot C as it was shrinking and the bus service was deteriorating.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Edit: I made a post about the updated environmental review documents for Concourse 0 and Terminal 9 but later realized it should be in the other thread since it is not under construction.

I reposted in the Concourse 0 and Terminal 9 thread: LAX moves forward with plans for Concourse 0 and Terminal 9

Last edited by bzcat; Jun 2, 2021 at 10:27 pm
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Terminals 2 and 3.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 17, 2021 at 1:29 pm Reason: Update link to the image, the old one no longer works
Old Jun 17, 2021, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TWA884
Terminals 2 and 3.
Wonder when all original 1960s LAX terminal buildings will eventually be replaced:

Source: airporthistory.org article

David
BillBurn likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Wonder when all original 1960s LAX terminal buildings will eventually be replaced:
Some time, billions of years from now, well after the sun goes red giant, killing all life on earth, and the stuff that makes up the earth is eventually recycled into new planet material somewhere. Some of that material may end up in airport terminals. If humans manage to make it off Earth before the red giant stage, they'll probably build a New Los Angeles on New Earth, and that city is likely to have an Air and Space Port. The buildings there will probably be inspired by the current LAX and might be considered replacements. If we're lucky it will be possible to travel airside between all the terminals.
writerguyfl and FlyerWx like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee

David
After the T3 satellite is replaced, are there really anything left from the 1960s?

T2 and T5 satellite were all razed and rebuilt with new concourse, similar to what is happening with T3 now.

T4/6/7 satellite are still there in theory but they've been completely gutted to frame at least twice and nothing is left from the original 1960.

I guess the underground tunnels are still there. Edit: I guess based on the photo, the linear T8 concourse could be from 1960s but I'm not sure if the structure was replaced at some point.

Last edited by bzcat; Jun 21, 2021 at 12:22 pm
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bzcat
T2 and T5 satellite were all razed and rebuilt with new concourse, similar to what is happening with T3 now.

T4/6/7 satellite are still there in theory but they've been completely gutted to frame at least twice and nothing is left from the original 1960.

I guess the underground tunnels are still there.
The core of T5, where the escalator to the tunnels, the elevator to the tunnels and the Admirals Club, and the stairs to the Admirals Club are located, dates back to 1960 just as the cores of T4, T6 and T7 do.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TWA884
The core of T5, where the escalator to the tunnels, the elevator to the tunnels and the Admirals Club, and the stairs to the Admirals Club are located, dates back to 1960 just as the cores of T4, T6 and T7 do.
Yup - gonna be long time.

From my post over in the UA forum (Google Maps satellite shot from above, circa 2020 data) - you can see the historic 1960-era cores of Terminals 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.:

Perhaps not surprisingly, Terminal 2 reminds me of ATL...

David
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Century Blvd bridge will be closed midnight to 4 am from Aug 5-21 for construction of the People Mover guideway.

Details with detours routes are posted online here
writerguyfl and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
So I walked past the new "train" station that LA Metro has built by Century and Aviation. It all looks sparkling new and has lots of lighting at night and...it is closed off. I'm not surprised by delayed construction projects in LA, but with all the hub bub about conservation and the environment and rolling blackouts, should they really be lighting up non-operating train station every night?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
So I walked past the new "train" station that LA Metro has built by Century and Aviation. It all looks sparkling new and has lots of lighting at night and...it is closed off. I'm not surprised by delayed construction projects in LA, but with all the hub bub about conservation and the environment and rolling blackouts, should they really be lighting up non-operating train station every night?
I suspect this is being done primarily in an attempt to deter vandalism, especially graffiti.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:16 pm

Just FYI in case people had not seen this already, but in early October the BOAC approved the Final Environmental Impact Statement for the construction of Terminal 0 and Terminal 9.

The current project schedule is designed to complete both terminals prior to the 2028 Olympics. Completion of the 8-gate MSC South extension, which needs to be completed prior to the start of construction on Terminal 9, appears scheduled for end of 2024.

AFAIK despite this schedule, the Board has yet to actually approve a budget or construction start date for the project. While LAWA has said it remains committed to its capital spending despite the financial impacts from COVID it wouldn't be a surprise if the project is significantly delayed due to COVID-related issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.