FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I believe this is the LA times article that chrisl137 was attempting to link to.
yep. also just fixed in my post.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Avis shuttle bus took 35 minutes last night from Terminal 1 to the lot. It's hard to imagine a worse airport traffic design than what LAX has now.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Avis shuttle bus took 35 minutes last night from Terminal 1 to the lot. It's hard to imagine a worse airport traffic design than what LAX has now.
You probably could have walked it faster. I've given up on catching the lot C bus from T 6/7/8 - they don't come very often and they tend to fill up before they get to the end of the loop and just fly by in the left lane. It's a pretty easy walk if you don't have a lot of luggage. The car rental lots are only 1000-1500 feet farther. You could also walk across to T7 and get a shuttle there- it's a short walk and then you don't have to wait through loop traffic.

I'm still amazed that people try to do curbside pickup/dropoff in the loop. It's enough of a nightmare often enough that I'd rather have people find their way out of the airport and do an off airport pickup.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:45 pm

I still cannot understand why the original Green Line plan did not include an LAX station. That would have opened up a way for thousands of passengers every day to get in/out of the congested area. Drop-offs and pick-ups for so many people could have been spread out among Green Line stations.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I still cannot understand why the original Green Line plan did not include an LAX station.
Blame the old Soviet Union.
Los Angeles Daily News (2008):
Why Green Line stopped short of LAX

<snip>

The first thing to understand is that the Green Line was not built on its own merits, but as a condition for the construction of the Century Freeway.

<snip>

The Los Angeles County Transportation Commission, the precursor to today's Metropolitan Transportation Authority, began the process of planning the route.

At the western end of the Century Freeway, the line could either go north to LAX, which employed about 35,000 people, or south to El Segundo, home to about 90,000 aerospace workers. "It was a clear decision it would be better to go into the El Segundo employment area," said Richard Stanger, who was the commission's director of rail planning. "The models and everything indicated it was much better to go into El Segundo and focus on the needs of the everyday worker." But the models could not predict the collapse of the Soviet Union and, with it, the aerospace industry. By 1993, El Segundo had lost 45,000 jobs. By that point, however, construction of the Green Line was well under way.

<snip>

The Federal Aviation Administration also worried that a rail line would interfere with navigational equipment at the end of the runways and that overhead electric wires would intrude into flight paths. To solve that issue, the line would likely have to go underground, greatly increasing its cost.

<snip>
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Blame the old Soviet Union.
Los Angeles Daily News (2008):
Well they can say that and you can believe it if you like. But I recall the main reason the Green Line didn't run right to the airport was good old graft paid by taxi and limo companies.
Guess they didn't foresee Uber.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
Well they can say that and you can believe it if you like. But I recall the main reason the Green Line didn't run right to the airport was good old graft paid by taxi and limo companies.
Guess they didn't foresee Uber.
The article discusses that theory as well as the one that airport officials blocked the Green Line's entry into the terminal area for fear of losing parking revenue.

Personally, I agree with former Los Angeles City Councilmember Ruth Galanter who said that she used to believe in conspiracy theories until she discovered incompetence.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still cannot understand why the original Green Line plan did not include an LAX station. That would have opened up a way for thousands of passengers every day to get in/out of the congested area. Drop-offs and pick-ups for so many people could have been spread out among Green Line stations.
I also don't see why they didn't link all four lines at a single point, like Union Station. To get from the San Gabriel Valley to LAX (assuming Green goes to LAX) on the train, you have to take Gold to Red to Blue to Green, and people I know who've done it say it's about 2 hours. I can drive from home in about an hour, and take the Gold line to the Flyaway in a little more than that. In principle the Flyaway is a good substitute for taking the train all the way, but if it's constrained to overloaded roads then it stops being as useful. I've been on it when drivers have taken alternate routes, but this last time I was close to walking through the Sepulveda tunnel.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I also don't see why they didn't link all four lines at a single point, like Union Station. To get from the San Gabriel Valley to LAX (assuming Green goes to LAX) on the train, you have to take Gold to Red to Blue to Green, and people I know who've done it say it's about 2 hours. I can drive from home in about an hour, and take the Gold line to the Flyaway in a little more than that. In principle the Flyaway is a good substitute for taking the train all the way, but if it's constrained to overloaded roads then it stops being as useful. I've been on it when drivers have taken alternate routes, but this last time I was close to walking through the Sepulveda tunnel.
Because voters in LA County killed it when they banned subway construction, thus orphaned the Gold line from the Blue line. It was supposed to be one continuous line from Pasadena to Long Beach but ended up being two different lines with missing Downtown LA section. We are just now getting that fixed with the regional connector schedule to open in 2020.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
They are building an underground connection in downtown right now that will eventually directly connect the Gold Line to the Blue and Expo lines, allowing through trains.

Yes, the "Regional Connector", as the previous poster mentioned.

That ban on subway construction was repealed a few years ago, thankfully.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:47 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Posts discussing the immediate practical impact of the January 23, 2017, shuttle changes were moved to the following thread:
Please let's keep the focus of this thread on the long term plan to overhaul the ground transportation at LAX.

Thank you,

TWA884
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:27 am

LAX Capital Improvements Program e-Newsletter

ConRAC Request For Proposals Issued

Release of a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) at the end of November began, the process to select a team to build and operate the proposed Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Consolidated Rent-A-Car facility (ConRAC).

The ConRAC, which would be located near Interstate 405 in Manchester Square, would consolidate more than 20 car rental offices in one convenient location. In addition to improving the passenger experience, the proposed facility would help free up terminal curb space and significantly improve traffic conditions in the Central Terminal Area (CTA), provide rental car companies with operational efficiencies, and allow new uses of Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) and privately-owned property surrounding LAX.

The ConRAC and a proposed 2.25-mile Automated People Mover (APM) would eliminate altogether the need for rental car courtesy vehicles entering the CTA. The facility is projected to eliminate more than 3,200 daily rental car shuttle trips on city streets and CTA roadways, resulting in significant reduction in emissions

<snip>

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 2, 2017 at 3:36 pm Reason: Update illustration
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:54 am

The Consolidated Rent-A-Car facility is long overdue. It's hard to imagine a worse setup than LAX now for getting between a terminal and your rental car. Some passengers are now spending more time doing that than they spent in the air en route to LAX.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:33 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
The Consolidated Rent-A-Car facility is long overdue. It's hard to imagine a worse setup than LAX now for getting between a terminal and your rental car. Some passengers are now spending more time doing that than they spent in the air en route to LAX.
Amen to that. I can't think of a worse airport at which to deal with car rental.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by nnn
Amen to that. I can't think of a worse airport at which to deal with car rental.
After the joys of waiting for a shuttle on the noisy, smoky lower level, you finally get to the rental lot -- and get to endure the worst service I've seen at any American rental offices. It hardly matters which company, though I confess I had a good interaction with Avis the last time I rented at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.