LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
If I recall, hotel and parking shuttle will use ITF West and Metro and municipal buses will use ITF East.

Rental car shuttles will be eliminated completely as the final stop of APM is the rental car center.

Originally Posted by TWA884
The plan is to restrict access to the terminal loop to cars only. Parking and hotel shuttle buses will have to use the Intermodal Transportation Facilities, east or west, to pick up and drop off their customers.

Ground transportation improvements planned for LAX challenged in court
Parking Spot's beef is that the Sepulveda location is that it doesn't want to use ITF and back track. But tough luck I guess.

Originally Posted by writerguyfl

And even that solution isn't great unless you're flying out of the Tom Bradley International Terminal. That terminal is the only ones where the stations are right at the terminal. If this image from the LAWA website accurate, Terminal 1 won't even have direct access to a station. Nor will Terminals 0 and 9 once they get build.
T1 will have direct access via current parking garage skyway to APM.

There is no such thing as Terminal 0, only T1 concourse 0, which of course is part of T1.

T9 will have its own APM station and direct curb access. It's in the T9 draft environmental documents.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 14, 2021 at 1:31 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:25 pm

Here is the video I mentioned before on vehicle circulation

And the map showing how traffic from I-405 and I-105 will be funneled to the two ITF

From 405 South, the exit at La Cienega will go straight into a new street (98th) that will lead to ITF East which is located at 98th/Aviation. From 405 North, the current off ramp to Century will be maintained but there will be a new prefered right turn at Century/Concourse Way (mid block between La Cienega and Aviation) that direct most people to use ITF East.

From the I-105 tunnel and Sepulveda South, there is direct roadway to ITF West (New "A" St. and New "B" St.)

ITF West is designed to handle drop off/pick up from Lincoln/Sepulveda/105, hotel shuttles, and long distance buses.

ITF East is designed to handle drop off/pickup from 405/La Cienega/Century, Metro rail and buses.
chrisl137, mrcool1122 and ryw like this.

Last edited by bzcat; Dec 14, 2021 at 1:50 pm
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
LAWA does not have the legal authority ...
Thank you, good points. I didnít mean to imply that LA Country would (try to) close independent parking garages. I was wondering if based on lower prices and/or convenience and/or better customer service (making reservations, less transit time between parking and terminal, etc.) might ďencourageĒ the independent garages to discontinue operations and if so, if thatís part of the overall (perhaps unwritten) plan.
Originally Posted by bzcat
If I recall, hotel and parking shuttle will use ITF West and Metro and municipal buses will use ITF East.
That sounds like a PIA, a side effect of traffic reduction, hotel shuttle to ITF to APM, a whole new layer of getting between hotels and terminals, might take longer than the shuttle sitting in the terminal area traffic.

If using an independent parking facility would involve a shuttle to ITF West (where there are 4,300 parking spots) to the APM, seems that would involve a much longer transit time to the terminals than parking at ITF West. Seems that would drive (no pun intended) MUCH of the parking customers to the ITF parking facility, perhaps driving (some of) the independent parking facilities out of business.

4,300 new spots with 4,000 pre-existing (independent) spots is different than 4,300 new spots with 25,000 pre-existing (independent) spots, I donít know what those numbers are.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Dec 14, 2021 at 7:57 pm
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT

FYI, from today's BOAC meeting. Looks like MSC South is planned for completion by Q3 2024. It's completion will allow AA to close it's remote commuter terminal (The eAAgles Nest) and thereby clear the way for Terminal 9 construction.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Thank you, good points. I didn’t mean to imply that LA Country would (try to) close independent parking garages. I was wondering if based on lower prices and/or convenience and/or better customer service (making reservations, less transit time between parking and terminal, etc.) might “encourage” the independent garages to discontinue operations and if so, if that’s part of the overall (perhaps unwritten) plan. That sounds like a PIA, a side effect of traffic reduction, hotel shuttle to ITF to APM, a whole new layer of getting between hotels and terminals, might take longer than the shuttle sitting in the terminal area traffic.

If using an independent parking facility would involve a shuttle to ITF West (where there are 4,300 parking spots) to the APM, seems that would involve a much longer transit time to the terminals than parking at ITF West. Seems that would drive (no pun intended) MUCH of the parking customers to the ITF parking facility, perhaps driving (some of) the independent parking facilities out of business.

4,300 new spots with 4,000 pre-existing (independent) spots is different than 4,300 new spots with 25,000 pre-existing (independent) spots, I don’t know what those numbers are.
Total travel time will likely be much shorter via APM than the current method. The EIR said APM will run 30 second peak headway and 2 minute off peak and the ride from TBIT station to ITF West will take about 5 minutes including 20 second dwell time at each station in between. You can easily wait 10 minutes now for the hotel shuttle to come and then to circle around all the terminals - It could take 20 min or more to get from T1 to T7.

The shuttle ride from ITF West to hotel and parking garages will vary depending on which location but with predictable arrival time of APM, most likely shuttles will be waiting for you rather than you waiting for the shuttle.

As for parking at ITF West vs. private garages... I think it's up to the private operators to demonstrate value proposition. If LAWA provides a better solution with seamless transfer and no additional shuttle ride, then what is the problem here? Parking Spot is free to charge less for the inconvenience of not being located next to APM station. That is already the case now... the further you go from LAX, the cheaper it is to park. It's not any different once APM opens.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The Future of LAX Newsletter - Q4 2021

APM and ConRAC construction updates with several photos from two points in time, January and December 2021, showing the progress made over the last year.
chica likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:46 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX Monthly Construction Update: January 2022

An interactive map that includes current construction projects can be found here.

A link
is available for webcams that allow the public to see the ongoing work by clicking here.

Photo galleries are available
here.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 1, 2022 at 1:21 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 30, 2022, 1:25 pm

Construction of the APM guideway was completed a few weeks ago.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/concre...d-people-mover

https://www.dailynews.com/2022/04/20...pen-next-year/

Links to the latest construction photos: https://www.lawa.org/transforminglax...allery#toPhoto

Didn't realize this before but I guess made total sense... the APM terminal at the rental car center is actually at the roof top of the parking garage. No reason to build a separate terminal station.
BeachRat and chrisl137 like this.

Last edited by bzcat; Apr 30, 2022 at 1:31 pm
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Construction of the APM guideway was completed a few weeks ago.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/concre...d-people-mover

https://www.dailynews.com/2022/04/20...pen-next-year/

Links to the latest construction photos: https://www.lawa.org/transforminglax...allery#toPhoto

Didn't realize this before but I guess made total sense... the APM terminal at the rental car center is actually at the roof top of the parking garage. No reason to build a separate terminal station.
I didn't realize they were that far along! It will be nice when the APM opens - the buses from the Economy Lot end up being at weird intervals - sometimes they'll all accumulate in the lot and then you have to wait a long time for one to show up at the terminals. And they're infrequent enough that by the time they get to 6 they can be pretty full. At the same time they'll have a bus to the LAXit lot every 30 seconds or so. One minor impact on people is that with buses doing all the terminal trips from the economy lot, the electric charging stations on the ground floor are extra appealing - they give you a discount and a short trip to the shuttle. It looks like there will be bridges to the people mover on the third floor, so that will become the prime spot.

Since the economy lot opened I've also been getting emails from the various private lots advertising much lower prices than in the fall. Depending on time of day and length of trip, the ones that are walkable from the terminals would still be very competitive, even if their shuttles have to pick up at ITF West.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:58 pm

DL opened the first 3 gates in the new T3. These are the gates attached to the "headhouse" portion of the building. The concourse part of the building is still under construction.
Spoiler

Old May 26, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for parking at ITF West vs. private garages... I think it's up to the private operators to demonstrate value proposition. If LAWA provides a better solution with seamless transfer and no additional shuttle ride, then what is the problem here? Parking Spot is free to charge less for the inconvenience of not being located next to APM station. That is already the case now... the further you go from LAX, the cheaper it is to park. It's not any different once APM opens.
I don't want to get too much into parking in this thread, but based on how full the CTA and Economy lots have been, I don't think the private parking garages will go away any time soon. My last time at LAX, not a holiday weekend, the Economy Lot was full except for the roof, and with the CTA parking I've had a few trips where you had to show your paper reservation to a person to even be able to turn into the driveways for those lots. Pricing for the private lots is down a little from what they could get with no economy lot available, but they're not feeling enough pressure to undercut the 2+ week advance booking price for the economy lot, but are competitive for close-in reservations.

Once the APM opens, the time from parking to terminal or back will probably be shorter than it is now for the private shuttles that have to use the high traffic lanes and many of the private lots offer various perks that you don't get with the LAWA lots.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:23 pm

Gates 40, 46B, 46C, 48A, 48B, 49A and 49B in Terminal 4 are closed for construction. There is a temporary wall extending all the way from Gate 46A to 47B.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:47 pm

First $106M of funds for MSC South construction approved yesterday. Targeting to open the 8 gate extension by end of Q2 2025. Completion of MSC South will enable American to close the egAAle's Nest remote terminal which will thereby enable construction to start on Terminal 9 with completion targeted for just prior to 2028 Olympics.

cartman7110 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
What does "MSC South" stand for?
A Google search shows "MSC South" it to be a homeless shelter in San Francisco.

Any guesses?
samosa likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
What does "MSC South" stand for?
A Google search shows "MSC South" it to be a homeless shelter in San Francisco.

Any guesses?
Midfield Satellite Concourse
cartman7110 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.