Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to Redondo Beach by public transportation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by Analise
I was looking at the weather channel's website and was surprised how humid Redondo Beach is. Right now, the humidity is 73% even though the temperature is 63º. Sounds like the weather will be uncomfortable even with the lower temps. Do I even bring a jacket at night?
That humidity is the marine layer and/or early morning fog typically. It's not oppressive heat and humidity like in the East and South.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
That humidity is the marine layer and/or early morning fog typically. It's not oppressive heat and humidity like in the East and South.
You're right that it doesn't compare to Florida, but right now the humidity here is unusually thick. And it's not just the marine layer!

Whether or not a visitor needs a jacket at night depends on their own internal thermometer. It gets "cool" at night, so you'll see everything from shorts and t-shirts to long pants, heavy jackets, and scarves!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was looking at the weather channel's website and was surprised how humid Redondo Beach is. Right now, the humidity is 73% even though the temperature is 63º. Sounds like the weather will be uncomfortable even with the lower temps. Do I even bring a jacket at night?
I sometimes need to throw on a jacket at night but just a light one. And the humidity is NOTHING like New York humidity. It is barely noticeable and is usually due to morning fog etc. Yesterday was incredibly gorgeous weather.
And a cab from the airport is not $20-$25...try more like at least $30 & up plus tip. I live right near the pier which sounds like is near to where you will be going.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
I sometimes need to throw on a jacket at night but just a light one. And the humidity is NOTHING like New York humidity. It is barely noticeable and is usually due to morning fog etc. Yesterday was incredibly gorgeous weather.
Oh good, thanks. It's hotter than hell here and I cannot wait to escape it if for just a few days.

And a cab from the airport is not $20-$25...try more like at least $30 & up plus tip. I live right near the pier which sounds like is near to where you will be going.
I'm accustomed to taking public transportation and that's what I will do. What a waste to pay $30 + tip, when I can just pay $1.50.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I would recommend a light jacket for evenings but short sleeves are fine during the day. Low to mid 60F at night is typical for the beach area during this time of the year. The humidity is a bit unusual but nothing to sweat (literally and figuratively)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
AVOID AVOID AVOID

Danger Will Robinson Danger

Do not take Supershuttle

While its bad everywhere, it does not get any worse than LAX

Just walk before taking supershuttle

I'm not going to argue about the posts above unless it involves supershuttle

For what you save, take a cab over SS
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:14 am

It doesn't get hot and humid in LA. It's usually pretty dry heat here. When the temperature is low, any typical amount of water in the air (even a little) will register as being pretty humid because of the lower capacity to hold water at colder temperatures.

63 degrees and 73%, you most likely will not feel it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
AVOID AVOID AVOID

Do not take Supershuttle

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I used to take supershuttle to go inland towards Pasadena, and they would circle around to pick up more fares. It always took forever to get out of the airport.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
You are pretty much SOL when it comes to public trans in LA. Like others have said, your best bet is a taxi. Will run you about $20. It's LA buddy, even connecting through multiple city buses you aren't going to get anywhere for the $1.50 you want to spend.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:46 pm

Don't listen to these amateurs...

Analise,

I hope you haven't left yet, but I have been taking the 232 from LAX at least once a week since 1994, in fact I just took it this past Monday (7/23).

1. Go to the Lower/Arrivals Level island in front of the terminal and wait under the BLUE sign that says LAX Shuttle & Airline Connections and board the free C Shuttle (destination sign: Parking Lot C)

2. When you get off at Lot C, turn right (east) and continue walking to the adjacent LAX City Bus Center. Go to Bus Bay 8 (farthest east) and catch the 232 southbound ($1.50 exact change, dollar bills accepted). The destination sign is LONG BEACH TRANSIT MALL, but don't worry, it originates from this stop. It only leaves around 2x an hour mid-day, so if you have to wait it's no big deal there are benches and it's shaded. You'll also be able to watch the planes on approach to runway 24R, you will be about 1/2 mile from where they touchdown. I believe this is the runway the A380s land on (AF, SQ, QF, KE)

3. Get off at PCH & Torrance, approximately 35 minutes later, I believe there's a gas station (76?) right there. This is the NW corner of the intersection, walk west on Torrance Blvd for 3 blocks to the pier. You'll see the First United Methodist Church on your right after one block (NW corner of Torrance & Broadway), it looks like this:
4. For the ride back, do all the above in reverse, except you'll be catching the 232 northbound (destination sign: LAX CITY BUS CENTER) from the NE corner of PCH & Torrance:
Hope you enjoy your brief stay!

TIP: The bus model normally used on the 232 is a slightly order model which has 2 A/C settings: OFF and FRIGID.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Sorry I didn't read this until today. Don't listen to those that say you can't do public transportation in L.A. It's not great in some areas but it's definitely doable. I use public transportation all the time here and I use to when I lived in Redondo. PM me if you still have questions
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
AVOID AVOID AVOID

Do not take Supershuttle

Warning was NEVER needed. I avoid the SuperShuttle everywhere. It's pathetic in NYC and a time-waster everywhere else.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
Analise,

I hope you haven't left yet, but I have been taking the 232 from LAX at least once a week since 1994, in fact I just took it this past Monday (7/23).

1. Go to the Lower/Arrivals Level island in front of the terminal and wait under the BLUE sign that says LAX Shuttle & Airline Connections and board the free C Shuttle (destination sign: Parking Lot C)

2. When you get off at Lot C, turn right (east) and continue walking to the adjacent LAX City Bus Center. Go to Bus Bay 8 (farthest east) and catch the 232 southbound ($1.50 exact change, dollar bills accepted). The destination sign is LONG BEACH TRANSIT MALL, but don't worry, it originates from this stop. It only leaves around 2x an hour mid-day, so if you have to wait it's no big deal there are benches and it's shaded. You'll also be able to watch the planes on approach to runway 24R, you will be about 1/2 mile from where they touchdown. I believe this is the runway the A380s land on (AF, SQ, QF, KE)

3. Get off at PCH & Torrance, approximately 35 minutes later, I believe there's a gas station (76?) right there. This is the NW corner of the intersection, walk west on Torrance Blvd for 3 blocks to the pier. You'll see the First United Methodist Church on your right after one block (NW corner of Torrance & Broadway), it looks like this:
4. For the ride back, do all the above in reverse, except you'll be catching the 232 northbound (destination sign: LAX CITY BUS CENTER) from the NE corner of PCH & Torrance:
Hope you enjoy your brief stay!
Thanks! I am back now and I do appreciate the detailed information you provided. I wish I had seen it before I left but I figured things out both outside of baggage claim and at Lot C. There is decent signage and the advice already given on this thread was invaluable! Amazing that more travellers don't take the bus. It was easy yet I was the only one on the bus with luggage. Everyone else was a local. The 232 worked out just fine. I only waited maybe 10 minutes for the bus. Good thing that I had the Google map with me as the driver couldn't tell me where the bus stop I wanted in Redondo was. "You're asking me???" Yup, he said that. Well since the 232 has automated bus stop announcements, it just meant that I had to pay attention. Again, not a big deal. It took about 40 minutes given the traffic lights.

Thanks everybody for your assistance.

TIP: The bus model normally used on the 232 is a slightly order model which has 2 A/C settings: OFF and FRIGID.
Frigid would have been nice. It was hot in there so I opened the window. Why no one else opened a window was strange.

As an aside, Terminal 5 was a bit limited. Only one "newsstand" yet it was on the side of the corridor. Not even some stupid gift shop. At least there was the Euro Coffee (or whatever it was called). That said, loved the numerous charging stations.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cascade
You are pretty much SOL when it comes to public trans in LA. Like others have said, your best bet is a taxi. Will run you about $20. It's LA buddy, even connecting through multiple city buses you aren't going to get anywhere for the $1.50 you want to spend.
You just look like an ... posting something like this when clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

$1.50 will get you from LAX to Redondo Beach in one city bus. You should try it sometimes instead of repeating the nonsense urban legend that public transportation doesn't work in LA.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Why don't you just take the Green Line to Redondo? @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.