Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to Redondo Beach by public transportation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

LAX to Redondo Beach by public transportation

I see a few options going to Redondo Beach by bus. Hoping there is a train but when I go to the metro website in which I can plan my trip, it seems to take me to bus options. So I'll be arriving at Terminal 5 around 11am on a weekday. I went to google maps. Do I need to walk 15 minutes with my luggage to a bus center?

I see a few buses including Metro Local Line 232 and Beach Cities Transit 109. What is an easy public transit option of getting to Redondo Beach near the pier?

Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Analise
I see a few options going to Redondo Beach by bus. Hoping there is a train but when I go to the metro website in which I can plan my trip, it seems to take me to bus options. So I'll be arriving at Terminal 5 around 11am on a weekday. I went to google maps. Do I need to walk 15 minutes with my luggage to a bus center?

I see a few buses including Metro Local Line 232 and Beach Cities Transit 109. What is an easy public transit option of getting to Redondo Beach near the pier?

Thanks.
Just take a cab.......20. to 25 bucks
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chewylouie
Just take a cab.......20. to 25 bucks
Is that really the option? Public transportation is that bad? Why waste $25 when it only costs $1.50 or $1?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Hoping there is a train ...
No, there isn't.

Do I need to walk 15 minutes with my luggage to a bus center?
No, from the Metro website, it looks like you can take one of the airport shuttles (Lot C or Lot G) to connect with one of the buses you need. Just ask the shuttle driver for directions to your connection.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any suggestions based on experience, as I've never taken public transportation out that way. But according to metro.net (it appears you've found this site), the bus lines you reference should be the ones to get you where you want to go. But I can't be certain without knowing more detail about where you're headed. Metro's website lets you plan out your journey. Get back to us if you need help with that tool.

Is that really the option? Public transportation is that bad? Why waste $25 when it only costs $1.50 or $1?
No, Analise, pubic transportation here is not that bad, despite what you may hear. Public transportation just doesn't have the public acceptance in southern California that it does in New York for many reasons (some of which are justified). But if you have the patience to use it in New York, it'll work for you just fine here, too.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Yes, 232 stops near the Redondo Beach Pier. It runs pretty frequently throughout the day. The fare is $1.50 and it's pretty straight forward to take this bus to the Pier.

From T5, take LAX shuttle C to Long Term Parking lot C. Tell the driver you are taking the city bus and need to get off at the first stop which is outside the long term parking lot. After you get off, you need to cross the street to the LAX City Bus Center and wait for the 232 to show up. LAX City Bus Center is the last stop for the north bound 232 so in theory, any 232 bus that shows up would be headed back south towards Long Beach Transit Mall but sometimes the bus will layover for a few minutes. Just check with the bus driver before you get on that she is going back towards Long Beach. The trip from LAX to Redondo Pier will take about 30 minutes.

Use Google Map directions, it is better than Metro's trip planner: http://goo.gl/maps/0gzW

Edit: all the buses in LA pretty much follow a single corridor so 232 is the "Sepulveda" bus south of LAX.

Here is my beginner's guide to LA Transit which may be of some help to you: http://irwinc.blogspot.com/2009/06/f...guide-for.html

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iapetus

No, from the Metro website, it looks like you can take one of the airport shuttles (Lot C or Lot G) to connect with one of the buses you need. Just ask the shuttle driver for directions to your connection.
Good. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any suggestions based on experience, as I've never taken public transportation out that way. But according to metro.net (it appears you've found this site), the bus lines you reference should be the ones to get you where you want to go. But I can't be certain without knowing more detail about where you're headed. Metro's website lets you plan out your journey. Get back to us if you need help with that tool.
Ok. I'm using that website and it looks pretty straight forward. I was just wondering if anyone thought that one bus would be easier/quicker/more comfortable than another.

No, Analise, pubic transportation here is not that bad, despite what you may hear. Public transportation just doesn't have the public acceptance in southern California that it does in New York for many reasons (some of which are justified). But if you have the patience to use it in New York, it'll work for you just fine here, too.
Good to hear that. Since I am in no rush, why throw away $20-$25 if there is a bus or train I can take?

Originally Posted by bzcat
Yes, 232 stops near the Redondo Beach Pier. It runs pretty frequently throughout the day. The fare is $1.50 and it's pretty straight forward to take this bus to the Pier.
Does the bus require exact change? Will I need to use just coins?

From T5, take LAX shuttle C to Long Term Parking lot C. Tell the driver you are taking the city bus and need to get off at the first stop which is outside the long term parking lot. After you get off, you need to cross the street to the LAX City Bus Center and wait for the 232 to show up. LAX City Bus Center is the last stop for the north bound 232 so in theory, any 232 bus that shows up would be headed back south towards Long Beach Transit Mall but sometimes the bus will layover for a few minutes. Just check with the bus driver before you get on that she is going back towards Long Beach. The trip from LAX to Redondo Pier will take about 30 minutes.
This is great information. Thank you.

Use Google Map directions, it is better than Metro's trip planner: http://goo.gl/maps/0gzW

Edit: all the buses in LA pretty much follow a single corridor so 232 is the "Sepulveda" bus south of LAX.

Here is my beginner's guide to LA Transit which may be of some help to you: http://irwinc.blogspot.com/2009/06/f...guide-for.html
All good to know. Thank you!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use Google Map directions, it is better than Metro's trip planner ...
Good tip!

Nice blog! And it's a great idea. I'm looking it over myself.

Exact change: yes. All coins: no; paper bills are accepted.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:59 pm

Ok. I'm using that website and it looks pretty straight forward. I was just wondering if anyone thought that one bus would be easier/quicker/more comfortable than another.
Beach cities 109 runs once per hour during the middle of the day and weekends so I would not recommend any out of town guest to use this bus. Metro 232 is 50 cents more but runs 3 to 6 times per hour depending on time of day... much more reliable. Also 232 runs a direct route on Sepulveda. BCT109 takes you in circles to El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, before reaching the Redondo Pier. Without knowing your actual destination, I can't say if BCT 109 is worth your trouble. Probably not is my guess.

This is great information. Thank you.

All good to know. Thank you!
Exact change not required but obviously if you put $2 in there, don't expect any change

Metro bus fare box takes all paper money, $1 coin, 50 cents, quarter, dime, and nickle.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Even my cousin (whom I'm visiting) recommends I take the SuperShuttle instead of public transportation. SuperShuttle in NYC is the worst. To pay $18 when I can pay $1.50 seems like such a waste....
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Even my cousin (whom I'm visiting) recommends I take the SuperShuttle instead of public transportation. SuperShuttle in NYC is the worst. To pay $18 when I can pay $1.50 seems like such a waste....
LA has a fear of Public Transport, unlike NY, don't worry though, it's perfectly usable in LA.

Google Maps I find to be the best for transport routes, then I turn to the Metro website for a timetable. You can get a $5 all day pass from subway stations, not sure if you can buy them on the bus, but it is usable on the bus system.

As LA didn't really get a subway system until 1990, people have not embaced it. With the expansion of the Expo line it's reaching further people.

Redondo Beach is a nice area, take a stroll up to Hermosa, enjoying the amazing homes on The Strand, it's a very nice area

Check out http://www.hermosawave.net/webcam/ if you want to see what the weather is like before getting out of bed, June Gloom has almost past, but there can be days of marine mist, which just rolls in and can be strange for a person who has never seen it.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then there's all the time you burn whilst the driver circles LAX in search of more fares ... once he shows up. And there's the time waiting for other passengers to get dropped off. (Not that you don't burn time waiting for public transportation, mind you. I guess the wait just stings all the more given how much you pay.)
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Exact change not required but obviously if you put $2 in there, don't expect any change
Off topic but I've got to ask.... Has anyone received a $2 note/coin?

I have the 50c/Dollar Coins, but never seen anything higher, The 50c was a weird one, only once have I had it.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by Asuka
Off topic but I've got to ask.... Has anyone received a $2 note/coin?

I have the 50c/Dollar Coins, but never seen anything higher, The 50c was a weird one, only once have I had it.
I get $2 notes once in a while but to my knowledge the US does not mint a $2 coin.

A tip for Southern California visitors, if you want 50 cent coins, a good place to get them used to be Tito's Tacos (great food too) in Culver City. They used to hand them out like candy for change.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:09 pm

It really depends on where your cousin lives. If the house is within walking distance to Sepulveda Blvd in Redondo Beach, I think it is ridiculous for your cousin to recommend SuperShuttle for such a short distance. You will end up spending way more time on the SuperShuttle being driven around in circles all over South Bay than taking the bus, which runs a direct route. I'm pretty confident that you will reach Redondo Beach faster by bus than SuperShuttle.

But there are sections of Redondo Beach that is not near the beach at all. If your final destination is more than 1/2 mile from Sepulveda Blvd, I'm inclined to say take a cab (but not SuperShuttle).
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:56 am
Original Poster

I was looking at the weather channel's website and was surprised how humid Redondo Beach is. Right now, the humidity is 73% even though the temperature is 63º. Sounds like the weather will be uncomfortable even with the lower temps. Do I even bring a jacket at night?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.