Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > LatinPass/GlobalPass
Reload this Page >

Who's going 500/or 1M - looking for fellow FTalkers to go with...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's going 500/or 1M - looking for fellow FTalkers to go with...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2000, 8:45 pm

The reason why a boarding pass is so important for each leg is because it is the only solid proof that you flew on that flight. If they did not require a boarding pass, there would be no reason to take the trip. You could buy your tickets and send in all of the ticket stubs for your bonus. Every single airline frequent flier mile program requires both a ticket stub and boarding pass to post mileage[if you fly on the frequent flier mile program airline, all you need is a ticket number---this is not the case with LP]. Without ten different boarding passe's, there is no proof you flew on the ten different airlines. This is something I would not risk. I would also take very good care of those boarding passes until the bonus posts---each pass is worth close to 75,000 miles!!!! I realize LatinPass may tell you otherwise but if there is ever any doubt, ten boarding passes don't lie.

[This message has been edited by Tango (edited 04-02-2000).]
Old Apr 2, 2000, 8:59 pm

Let me put it another way. If you are flying the LIM/UIO/BOG route without doing an overnight with two flight coupons, in reality you are taking one flight that makes a stop in UIO. This would be similar if I were to fly American from SEA to MIA with a stop in DFW. When I check in at SEA, I get one boarding Pass to MIA. I can choose to get off the plane in DFW to stretch my legs but would use the same boarding pass to get on the flight to MIA. The miles that would get posted to my account would be from SEA to MIA straight!! If I were on a routing that changed planes (and flight numbers), I would get two boarding passes and the miles posted would be SEA to DFW and DFW to MIA. If I asked American to give me two boarding passes for a direct flight that made a stop (but no change in flight numbers or planes), they would not do it. Even if I have tickets issued with two different flight segments, American would still give me one boarding pass.

Old Apr 2, 2000, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Tango: that is a very good way of explaining the issue. That's exactly why I decided to change my routing.

A note on Copa. I called them to get a seat assignment. I then asked the agent if the fare I purchased (in business class) is eligible to earn LatinPass miles. The agent stated that Copa does not participate in LatinPass so I will not earn any LatinPass mileage for Copa flights. I called the LatinPass service center to verify this. When I started with "I called Copa," the LatinPass representative immediately knew what I was going to ask. She stated that a lot of Copa agents are just confused because of their partnership with Continental Airlines. She assured me that I will earn LatinPass mileage on Copa flights.
Old Apr 4, 2000, 12:16 am

TANGO & AUSTXHIKER:

Thanks for the education on how this frequent flier mileage credit stuff works. I am definitely a novice on this stuff. However, given what you have said, if the BOARDING PASS, along with my ticket stubs are the evidence of my taking the flights, if I receive just one BOARDING PASS from LIM to BOG, but I also have the ticket stubs for BOTH the LIM to UIO and the UIO to BOG flights, shouldn't this be enough to prove I took both legs of the flight? I know I could theoretically get off the plane in UIO and not take the flight to BOG, but if I am showing all of these BOARDING PASSES and ticket stubs to LATINPASS, including my additional flights that same day from BOG to SJO to SAL to GUA, what are they going to think, that I bought the ticket, but chose to find some other way to get to BOG?

I will still understand if you would still play it SAFE by spending an extra day in QUITO, and I may actually try to do it even if I do end-up feeling comfortable about my routing, as everyone seems to like Quito, but my tickets may not allow the change. Thanks for continuing with these discussions. I hope everyone else isn't bored with them, and that they are relevant for others.

Happy Travels!

RHINOCHASER
Old Apr 4, 2000, 7:07 am
Original Member

rhinochaser: As I have previously mentioned, theoretically, you shouldn't have any problems. However, this is a good example of being in an iffy situation. Remember, the folks at LatinPass will have the final say on how to interpret their rules (unless of course you challenge them in court), no matter how vague they are.

As you know, the LIM-UIO and UIO-BOG have the same flight number (VX 520). Several questions come to mind:

First, when you check-in in LIM, will they let you have separate boarding passes for LIM-UIO and UIO-BOG since you have separate coupons? That might work for US flights but I am unsure if that is the way things are done in South America.

Second, if they don't allow you to have separate boarding passes and just check-in for the LIM-UIO flights, are you going to have time to check in for the UIO-BOG flight upon your arrival in UIO? Will they let you check-in at the gate area for an international flight? You have 45 minutes in UIO, which is about the time they close international flights.

Third, if you do manage to get separate boarding passes for these segments, will LatinPass count them as one flight? The rules doesn't specifically address this situation. They may count them as separate segments. They may not. Why? Same flight numbers, same date. They might count it as a through flight. The ONLY route LatinPass has declared in writing to substitute for a SAETA segment is the UIO-LIM route (not LIM-UIO).

Way too many questions for me. That's why I changed my routing. Again, I don't know the answers to all the questions above. Your best bet is to call LatinPass and have them "approve" your itinerary. Don't forget to document the time, date, and the name of the person you called. Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 2000, 8:39 am

maybe they'll give you two boarding passes in lima??? there is also a difference in price between booking lim-uio-bog as separate segments and as a connection. when i priced it, the segments were almost $100 more. so this is some evidence in your favor that you took two separate flights. they do say the uio-lim "route" is good for saeta, which leaves it open for interpretation whether a "route" is in both directions.

are you doing a Y class segment on taca peru? although taca reps have told people that V will be okay, it does say on their website that only Y will qualify for mileage.
Old Apr 4, 2000, 10:41 am

Why risk it? LatinPass states they are the ones who have the final say on issues like this. Are you willing to risk your 1,000,000 miles being cut down to 500,000 miles because you wanted to save a few hundred dollars?????

Old Apr 4, 2000, 4:47 pm
Original Member

dubbdc: It is understood that if the segments were purchased separately, you will get separate coupons and boarding passes. Obviously, the fare is expected to be higher.

As I've said, THEORETICALLY, there shouldn't be a problem. But the question remains: Will LatinPass count them as one flight? The rules doesn't specifically address this situation. They may count them as separate segments. They may not. Why? Same flight numbers, same date. They might count it as a through flight. The ONLY route LatinPass has declared in writing to substitute for a SAETA segment is the UIO-LIM route (not LIM-UIO).

With regards to LatinPass' statement on the SAETA issue, you're absolutely right, it is open for interpretation whether a "route" is in both directions. However, the final interpretation will be made by LatinPass regardless of how any of us wants to interpret it.

I agree with Tango: Why would you be willing to risk your 1,000,000 miles being cut down to 500,000 miles because you wanted to save a few hundred dollars?
Old Apr 4, 2000, 8:15 pm

I received an e-mail back from Latin Pass today which confirmed that my routing was "o.k.", as I have seen them do with others. So I've at least gotten documentation that the LIM-UIO flight will qualify for the SAETA segment.

I also spoke with LATINPASS and they told me that as long as ACES gives me mileage credit for the two separate legs of the LIM-UIO-BOG flight, there should not be a problem with this being treated as two separate flights and meeting the promotion conditions. Apparently others are asking this same question, as the woman with whom I spoke thought that I had just called and asked the same question!

I also spoke with ACES and they told me that I will receive only one boarding pass for the LIM-UIO-BOG flight in Lima, but that I will receive separate mileage credit for each of the two flight legs. They have me in their computer twice for the flight number, which was a little confusing at first, but I'm in the first time for just the LIM-UIO segment and the second time for the UIO-BOG segment. I will try to get this verified by e-mail, and will probably call again to reconfirm. My sense is that LATINPASS is trying to be fair and reasonable about all of the rules. Other than cutting the promotion off right before it appeared in a TIME magazine article, they have interpreted all of the rules fairly liberally, it appears to me. The problems seem to stem more out of confusion with their member airlines, rather than LATINPASS.

With regards to the "V" fare on Taca Peru from LIM-CUZ, it would appear that a "V" fare should accrue mileage, given their normal fare rules that I described previously (on another LP thread). I had a "W" fare at $59 which didn't count, and switched ONE of my LIM/CUZ segment to a "Y" fare, as it was cheaper at $171 through a travel agent in Lima than the "V" fare through Expedia, which I believe was more than $200.

As stated before, I may still change my flights if I can. The issue is not really so much one of cost for me, as it is shortening my stay in Cuzco by a day and adding a day in Quito, to PLAY IT SAFE.

RHINOCHASER

[This message has been edited by rhinochaser (edited 04-04-2000).]
Old Apr 4, 2000, 8:57 pm

for others looking for cuzco tickets...
the $212 fare for taca peru is C class. you can get the $171 Y class fare on expedia by checking the unrestricted button, but leaving the advance purchase button unchecked. and you get a fare of $171, which should be Y, but you can't really tell on expedia. on travelocity and itn, i couldn't get the $171, to come up. only the $212 business class fare. at any rate it is a lot to pay since you can get tickets much cheaper locally in peru.
Old Apr 4, 2000, 9:36 pm

Be advised you can't run one ticket if you have a number of flights in different fare classes. If all of your tickets are in Y or C class you can run the entire thing under one ticket. This will not matter if you are using an on-line booking engine but will make a difference if you are using a travel agent. Travel agents tend to charge fee's by the ticket, not the number of segments.
Old Apr 5, 2000, 7:53 pm

VX 520: I just received an e-mail back from ACES confirming that I will receive just one BOARDING PASS, but credit for two separate flights on the LIM/UIO/BOG flight, as long as I have two separate tickets. I've printed the e-mail and stuck it in my file for safe keeping

RHINOCHASER
Old Apr 5, 2000, 10:42 pm

I was wondering where people are booking their tickets for the LatinPass promotion. The prices I have received are not near as good as what I'm seeing on these postings. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2000, 11:16 pm

We booked ours on Expedia using the multiple segment reservation screen.

We gave our travel agent the flight numbers prior to using Expedia and she couldn't even come close to the Expedia prices. Go figure...

Evan
Bend, Oregon
Old Apr 6, 2000, 1:36 pm

I booked my 1,000,000 run on P/SABRE. From Miami the cost range is $2054 in restricted class, $2500 in full Y and $2700 in Business. It will take a full seven days to complete (with 2 days in Cuzco, and 1 day each in Lima and UIO). This routing is not the cheapest but is the safest becuase of the built in lag time in case a flight gets canceled or delayed. If a travel agent can't match or beat a fare from an on-line booking engine, they should not call themselves a travel agent!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.